I was recently advised by someone on this forum to code small games and eventually work my way up to harder games to test my skills and gain confidence in my ability to make games, as I've never made one from start to finish anymore. I decided to start a new project, one that would take me a few weeks, and at the end I'll have created a few small games, ranging from easy to code to moderately hard. Well, today I give you my first creation!
Yes, its a pretty generic game to clone, but its very easy, so I decided it would be my first one. I managed to create this in about an hour and a half (I even documented the progress in the form of a rather long video! I'll upload it to YouTube shortly), and I think it turned out all right. Mind you, I didn't put the particle engine in even though I wanted to, and I didn't make a menu, but that's fine because I was starting to get bored with the whole pong clone idea anyway. So, here's a screenshot!
Gorgeous graphics. So some notes about the game:
- The AI really likes to win, and will rarely ever slip up. It's my fault for not spending more time on it, but like I said, I was kind of bored at the end.
- Collision is kind of glitchy near the top of the paddles, but it rarely ever glitches out as the ball needs to intersect the corner of the paddle with its own corner. I know how to fix it.
- There are two power ups as of now, a size power up which reduces the size and a speed boost which speeds the ball up for a short amount of time. Both power ups are on a timer that lasts around 10 seconds.
- The ball slowly speeds up as long as the ball doesn't go out of bounds. In that case, the ball's velocity will reset as will the position
- Pressing CTRL + C will open up the 'dev' console. Its not really all that amazing, just some numbers that only really mean something to me. Also lists the ball's velocity.
If I come back to the game I want to add more paddles to the game at once, a power up that throws out lots of balls, a particle engine and a main menu.
So, here's the download (1.88 MB)!Download my generic pong clone now
It feels nice to finish a game
The game is made in LWJGL using my NEngine utility library.