A lengthy back story:
This is my secondary project, whereas "Aptronic" is my learning and fun project, this is my more serious attempt at something playable.
I've just started writing this one, but this is a collaboration with a wonderful artist named Ali, who did all the background work for the game so far, and will (Hopefully) be doing the rest of the artwork, along with animations.
This is far from complete, it's only been being written for a few days, however, It's technically been on my plate for a year, and is the reason I started to write games in Java.
I asked Ali to do art for me on Newgrounds, and at the time I had just finished my Intro to programming course at my college. Needless to say, I was rather bad at programming, and well, that's why I've been around here since. (of course, I joined this forum after a quite awhile of lurking, but it's been about a year I've been programming in Java). So, I spent the last year learning, and then just a couple days ago I sent Ali the first build. Needless to say he was quite happy to see his art finally moving (the terrain and clouds) and immediately gave his ideas on what we should add. So, for the next few weeks, or longer (I have no idea how long it'll take to implement everything, as I have college work as well as this, and I have a gaming addiction T_T), I'll be developing this with Ali, who did all of the game design and Art. (I'm doing mechanics and balancing, he's the idea guy, I'm about as creative as an ape)Onto the game:
Right now, the boxes, player, and buttons are placeholders. The lovely background, clouds, and grass are all done by Ali (luckylime.newgrounds.com
The game is pretty simple right now, there's no end, and no goal to reach, all you do is rack up points by collecting the boxes, the faster you go, and the less you miss, the more points you get. Very simple. In the future, you'll have a life pool in classic mode that'll drop when you miss boxes (maybe 3 will = death?), and in Time Attack (Not in this build, although easy to add), you'll have a certain amount of time to get as many points as possible, with chances to get time added (I still haven't decided if that'll be based on your combo, checkpoints, score increments, or what have you).Future implementations:
- Difficulty levels
- Maybe another mode (I had one in mind, but I can't remember what is, if I remember, I may add it)
- Things to avoid/not collect (to prevent space bar mashing/full speed ahead)
- These will likely be pitfalls or spikes, along with bombs or some other type of bad collectable, I'll leave the choice of art up to Ali, the programming concept is pretty much the same either way.
- A full options menu
- rebindable keys (if for some reason directional/wasd and space aren't your cup of tea)
- Resizing Options (Maybe, 800 x 800 is pretty much usable on any monitor, and the game has no reason to be fullscreen, it's rather arcade-y)
- Velocity, combo numbers, score gained for collection, and total score on/off options
- day/night cycle (night will impair vision of boxes coming toward you)
- indicator for boxes coming + their distance (This will also get an on/off option)
- More art by Ali/LuckyLime, rather than place holders. (I need those placeholders man, can't see without em).And Finally, if anyone wants to play it, Here's a link:Runninin Zip