Yay! It rhymes!
Anyway, As of this morning, I have been hacking away at some networking code.
I have tried to make a networked game multiple times in the past. At least 3 of those times was while I was using Java2D and no Kryonet. While I did get very far (well, entities, players, and the map were working
), I always hit issues with brute-forced code going wrong and bad protocol. So, a couple of months ago, I tried Kryonet. It was easy, but I gave up after suffering from extreme scope creep. Lately, I have been working on fighting back against scope creep. So now I think I'm ready to try again.
Anyone who saw my first few Ludum Dare posts for the recent compo (you probably didn't, but here's the main one
) would have seen my code which takes and image and converts it into level data. Well, I used this code, BUT now it transfers the data from the server to the client.
Anyway, here's the screenshots:
Zoomed out to see the whole picture (the level is loaded from my gui image):
Hey! The tiles have a texture. I wonder what image it is.
Oh, it's the original gui image!
So, basically, I have done what I had done in the first 30 minutes of Ludum Dare, in over half a day, except networked.
Now to get entities working...