Still in VERY early stages, but here are some screen shots:
(Shots on an AMD 2600 with a Geoforce 4 MX card, 1024x728 32 bit color)
I think you can see where the game is going. Basically it will be mission based where you progress to bigger and better ships while fighting badder and badder enemies. I will be adding animated sequences using the engine itself as well as video sequences.
This is probably going to take me a year to finish. Well, maybe not that long because the biggest technical hurdles are kinda done with...
- High speed/light weight scene graph
- Branches, nodes, transforms, appearances, materials, textures, bounds, etc.
- Mutli-threaded Engine
- Engine thread
- independent of all rendering
- Non-blocking to the renderer thread
- constant engine framerate (all transformations based on engine rather then renderer)
- Acutally all game functions except actual rendering
- Renderer thread (main loop) only does raw geometry pumping
- math functions
- Matrix management (rewrite of some of the Open GL spec in Java for performance; rotations, stack, translations, etc)
- key frame interpolators
- camera managment
- first person (in cockpit)
- third person (chase cam),
- Animation manager
- Entity manager,
- High speed Collision detection
- Several particle systems
- Frustum culling with some z-order occlusion
- Dynamic bounds detection
- Static and non-static entities
My goal is to produce an advanced engine in Java and a AAA quality game (done by just one person), to prove Java is a viable platform for game development....and maybe make some money from sales
I haven't started on the GUI or sound system yet, but I have a pretty good idea what will be involved and it should be easy compared to the parts completed. However, I am not sure when I will get to those becuase I am constantly tweaking for performance and I know there is alot more I can do yet.
The game goal is epic battles. Protecting convoys, minning operations, large fleet ships, space stations, etc. I will also be adding a drone capability where you can control "remotes" that you launch from your ship to collect things such as parts from ships you've destroyed or "alien artifacts" (depending on how story goes) from asteroids, wrecked space stations, etc.
Let me know what you think.
PS: Just kidding about the 4K