Server's back now. I made the fatal mistake of buying it. Spent 30 mins last night wandering around wondering what the hell to do
It could really do with tutorial and polish.
In a nutshell:
1) Punch tree trunks to get wood (hold the punch button down). Get about 8 wood at the minimum.
2) Press I to open your inventory.
3) Drop the wood into one of the 4 crafting spaces.
4) Click the output space a bunch of times until all your wood is converted to planks.
5) Right click the planks to split them into two stacks. Put the two stacks on top of each other in the crafting area to make sticks. Turn about half your planks into sticks.
6) Create 4 piles of planks, fill up the crafting area with them. This creates a work bench. Create just 1 workbench, then put it in one of the bottom inventory spaces.
7) Press ESC to close your inventory, then press the corresponding number key to select the workbench.
Put the workbench on the ground somewhere (not a space you are occupying) by right clicking the tile you want it to attach to.
9) Right click on the workbench. You now have a 3x3 crafting area, which you will need many times in the future.
10) Create a big "T" use two sticks as the bottom of the T and 3 planks as the top. This will create a wooden pick.
11) Destroy your workbench so that you can pick it up again. Equip your pick. Go to the nearest mountain and start digging.
12) Keep digging around the stone until you find some coal - it looks like stone except it has black specks in it.
13) Once you have some coal, construct torches by putting coal on top of sticks. Use torches to create light.
14) Night is probably falling soon. Make yourself some sort of protective structure, close it off, and fill it with light (monsters can spawn anywhere that it is dark, including in your house).
Oftentimes you will not find coal fast enough. That leaves you with several options:
- Restart the game.
- Build a spire below you by looking down and holding space and right click (with some block like dirt selected). Go up 10 blocks or so and stand there all night doing nothing.
- Build a completely enclosed room (like a coffin). No monsters can spawn where you're standing. You won't be able to see anything. Sit there all night.
- Build a furnace (fills up every 3x3 crafting space with cobblestone except the middle) and make sure there's always something in it. Use planks as fuel and cobblestone as the ingredient. It will give off enough light that you can keep monsters out of a small room.
I would recommend just restarting until you find coal. The game is boring otherwise - you need torches to dig down into the depths, which is what I usually do at night.