HI! I think your game is awesome and I've enjoyed in reading through the blog, to see how much work and progression do you have right now.
I'm not sure create a MOO clone is right direction and I feel you are moving from that goal, every change you made fro a better UI is a change on the core experience. Be aware it's not a critic, but I hope a starting point for a discussion.
I need to update the UI simply because the original UI is so outdated and hard to use. Even though the look at is different, all of the elements from the original game are still present and in the same location. It's analogous to updating the artwork. No one would expect me to use pixelated artwork from the 90s.
Anyway, some points I'd like to highlight
- lack of full screen options. I'm a guy that like to play the game full screen, enjoy tue music, atmosphere and put my focus on what I'm doing, so.. why force players in use only windowed game ?
I need to maintain a consistent aspect ratio to avoid stretching or cropping the artwork.
- rally point. It's irritating that I've declared war to Bulrathi and move all my fleet to their system.. but I cannot move all my rally points, and so my starship to the target
That will be in the finished game.
- arts are really nice, but I don't like how new colony screen is rendered, in particular after a species reach the planet. For example for Meklar, after my first colonist exit the ship, I don't really understante the shape of the Meklar, too little I suppose
Currently I am using a non-animated version of the race's ground combat icons to show the colonist. There will be specific colonist animations when the game is done. However, the Meklar soldier does not have legs, but tank treads.
- there is a way to see race stats and unique traits ? It's already in your beta or only planned ? For example for Silicoid, they don't need "normal" food, right ?
That's MOO2. There is no food in MOO1. The Silicoids can colonize any hostile planet without learning colonization techs, but they grow slowly. This information will be provided in the updated Setup UIs when they are redesigned.
- I really hate Alkari "whistle", can I mute or control sounds somewhere ?
You can mute all sounds on the initial screen, bottom right. Eventually there will be a preferences UI for this as more options become available.
- On first contact with a new race, I can see that other races exist and their names, even if never met them
Once you establish diplomatic relations with another race, you will see races they've established relations with. Of course, you cannot contact those races yourself until they are in range.
Overall, impressive job!
Thanks! This is still in an alpha state so there are definitely unfinished features.