Meet my current project: eXo PAX, a 3S4X game: Simple Space Strategy involving eXploration, eXpansion, eXploitation and lots of eXtermination
Born from my love of space strategy games and the lack thereof on Android devices. Currently working towards an alpha version for testing purposes.
Explore a huge galaxy. Expand quickly to grab your share. Exploit the star systems to build a large fleet. Exterminate your foes to dominate the galaxy!
eXo PAX focuses on what makes 4X games fun: the joy of exploration, expansion and conquest, without tedious micromanagement. A game of eXo PAX can last many hours, yet it’s easy to hop in and out for a quick game as well, making it very suitable for playing on-the-go on mobile devices.
eXo PAX is currently in development for Android-powered smartphones & tablets and Windows computers. Im working towards an alpha release for testing purposes. You can find more information about its development on my blog
, where I post regular updates (as well as here).
Game website: http://www.grunngames.com/exo-pax/Planned features:
- wide range of procedurally generated galaxies to play in, ranging from tiny circular galaxies containing only two empires – for a quick game – to huge galaxies containing hundreds of stars and many other empires to discover
- choose from 10 difficulty levels and play in a (relatively) stable, pacifistic galaxy or a chaotic warzone
- customize your own empire by choosing a name, color, ship style, ship size, and other characteristics
- speed up time to get to the action quickly or slow down time if things get too hectic
- no trial and error – you can only save the game state when exiting (remniscent of the roguelike genre)
- gain inspiration points (through combat or other ways) and use these to improve your empire through research or to activate potentially game-changing special abilitiesAbout its development:
I'm building this using Java and the LibGDX and LWJGL libraries. I created the graphics using Paint.net
. So far development progresses quite well, although I had a few instances in which I suffered from feature-creep (me adding new cool feature after feature) making things unmanageably complex and forcing me to do a complete refactoring and feature-stripping. Developing in Java using LibGDX has generally been a real joy however
- [fixed] dominion chart not showing when exploration mode is active
- [added] news ticker events now also show a map notification
- [fixed] dominion chart sometimes not showing all empires in exploration mode
- [added] empires now have names, which are shown on the star map and in some news ticker events
- [added] the player can enter a name for the player’s empire
- [added] some stats are shown on the empire overview (# of stars, ships controlled, ship support cost)
- [fixed] saving and loading games on androidSome screenshots of the current alpha version:
The main menu:
Creating an empire:
Discovered a couple of new stars:
Galaxies can become quite large (this is a tiny part of one):
Combat between four empires: