Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  I'd like to get the ball rolling in this competition  (Read 17944 times)
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 339
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Posted 2005-06-09 11:41:46 »

... so this thread is going to be about the specifics of organisation.

Firstly: we need some judges. Who would like to volunteer?

Secondly: we need some prizes, no matter how small. I offer my mediocre games. Any other offers of sponsorship?

Thirdly: we need a set of rules that everyone agrees on. They were thrashed out a bit in that other thread, but the need to be clarified here finally.

Fourthly: we need hosting. Who would like to host the web pages? Shall we just host it on LWJGL.org or is someone going to do it for us?

Fifthly: we need PR. Ideally someone will be making sure that the competition is widely known on gamedev, java.net, indiegamer, ludumdare, slashdot, etc.

Sixthly: we need an overall competition organiser, and a deputy for when said organiser realises how much work it really is and "disappears" for three weeks. Who would like to volunteer for these two posts?

Seventhly: we would like to pursue opportunities for advertising on the competition site, with a view to both raising cash for lwjgl development and also for buying a decent prize. To my mind we should be able to get enough money together from Adsense to provide a prize on the order of a Mac Mini or a Dell or some flashy graphics card. This is all at the discretion of the hosting provider. If it turns out that it's LWJGL.org then that's good.

Cas Smiley

Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2
Exp: 14 years

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-06-09 13:39:19 »

I volunteer to be a judge.  Here are my machine specs:

AMD Thunderbird 1.0GHz
512MB RAM
ASUS Radeon 9600 PRO/TD/128
Windows XP PRO SP2

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-06-09 13:52:21 »

Secondly: we need some prizes, no matter how small. I offer my mediocre games. Any other offers of sponsorship?

Some games-book publishers offered a couple of hundred dollars work of game-programming books, *if* we get a list of where it's being promoted and how.

Fourthly: we need hosting. Who would like to host the web pages? Shall we just host it on LWJGL.org or is someone going to do it for us?

Either you want to make use of some automated system, like JGF's webstart creator, and/or java unlimited's ranking/marking stuff

OR ... it shouldn't be anywhere but LWJGL.org, AFAICS

Fifthly: we need PR. Ideally someone will be making sure that the competition is widely known on gamedev, java.net, indiegamer, ludumdare, slashdot, etc.

If people could touch base with me on this, so I can get info to publishers re: prizes, that would be great.

I guess I'm volunteering to co-ordinate the promotion and prizes and sponsorship efforts?

Sixthly: we need an overall competition organiser, and a deputy for when said organiser realises how much work it really is and "disappears" for three weeks. Who would like to volunteer for these two posts?

I'll volunteer for either.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline woogley
« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:04:07 »

I'd like to take care of this one, it's about all I'm good for since I'm still new to OpenGL stuff Wink

I already have contest stuff coded, just a press of a button and I have a new contest category ready for submissions. Just let me know what pages you want and they'll be up there in no time.

The benefit for me is Java Unlimited's public library grows, and the benefit for you is headache-free contest management Smiley (you wont be digging through forums to find contest submissions, for example)

and, of course, since this is to show off LWJGL, you can be sure I'll be linking to that site (and maybe write up a quick article to get programmers enticed)
Offline elias

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:09:54 »

We can supply Tribal Trouble keys as prizes.

- elias

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:12:37 »

Well,
now that you have a single place to post all submissions, you won't have to dig anymore Wink

Why not just post links here?

-Chris

Offline woogley
« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:29:20 »

Why not just post links here?

The J4K thread started the same way, it will get dirty in no time Tongue
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

END OF LINE.

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:37:51 »

Ah, htere was no 4K thread.  Now there is a section just for the LWJGL 16K competition and Cas is a moderator.

-Chris

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:47:35 »

Ah, htere was no 4K thread.  Now there is a section just for the LWJGL 16K competition and Cas is a moderator.

Wasn't there?  I was pretty sure there was.  The problem was that it was cluttered with so many things other than links to submissions, and some submission links would be updated half way through the thread etc..  it was a pain to use as a reference.

I don't think a discussion thread is appropriate for collecting the submissions.  Even if we just email submissions to the organizer and they take care of putting them together in the appropriate place it would be better than posting links here.  But that's all moot if Woogley has a decent submission system ready to go.

Offline woogley
« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:50:38 »

But that's all moot if Woogley has a decent submission system ready to go.

And I do.. http://unlimited.woogley.net/games/submit.php Wink

All I have to do is rename Java16K to LWJGL16K
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8

Java tames rock!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-06-09 19:53:07 »

From reading Cas's previous posts, my interpretation of his desired rules is something like:

LWJGL16 Rules (Draft E)   

The competition shall:   
- start at 00:00 UTC on XXth XXXXXX 2005   
- finish at 24:00 UTC on XXth XXXXXX 2005 (2 months)

The application shall:   
- work with the standard java 1.4.2 JRE.   
- be packaged as one or more jars using the gzip format.   
- as packed jars, consist of no more than 16384 bytes, excluding libraries.   
- use version 0.97 of the LWJGL library available from lwjgl.org.   
- optionally use the FMOD library available from www.fmod.org.   
- work (without sound) if MIDI is used, but a soundbank is not available.   
- be startable using webstart.   
- be provided with a non-exclusive binary distribution license for the competition organisers.
- run on Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux

The application shall not:   
- require any libraries except those identified above.   
- use any resources external to the jar(s).   
- contain offensive material.   
- contain any unlicenced copyright material, trademarks or patents.   

Games shall be ranked by each judge separately in two categories
- Gameplay
- Technology

Scoring:
- For each Judge, the Nth ranked game in each category will score T-N+1 points, where T is the total number of

entrants.
- Games that are disqualified or fail to run score zero points.
- The total score for each game is the average score from the judges that tried that game.
- The final ranking is based on each games total scoreThe actual scores will not be published.

I haven't included the 'score zero if doesn't run on all three platforms' bit, as it sticks in my craw, but of course feel free to add it in.
Alan Wink

/Edit - I'd also recommend that a further release of LWJGL is made incorporating elias's AccessController.doPrivileged() fixes, since this means that we could provide unsigned applications, making those 16k bytes much easier to count.

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-06-10 18:02:25 »

Right, that's the rules settled; I'm happy with that. Yes, we shall use a pointrelease of LWJGL 0.97 which will be made available as a signed extension from somewhere.

Cas Smiley

Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 742
Projects: 4

Hand over your head.

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-06-10 19:54:16 »

Also could a Box class be added to LWJGL in the 0.97.x release? We have Sphere, Cylinder, Disk, but no Box?

It's not hard to code, even fun [1] to do in a 16k contest, but I feel it should be there.

I hope we get enough people joining this competition, as it's a bit harder than 4k, because the expectations are a lot higher!

[1] http://www.geocities.com/debugrun/box.html Grin

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-06-11 15:54:29 »

Yes a box class would be sweet....
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-06-14 14:20:02 »

Question: If we use Fmod (and have to fetch and jar the fmod.dll ourselves) does this add to the total size counted for our game, or is it included as part of the libraries (and therefore exempt)?

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-06-14 15:27:47 »

This is part of the allowed size obviously as FMOD is considerably bigger than 16k. Duh  Roll Eyes
We will be supplying a signed FMOD dll jar.

Cas Smiley

Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-06-14 16:29:44 »

we will provide one. However you must abide by the fmod license then.
Do note that fmod isn't 100% complete, and may or may not have issues.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-08-04 21:09:57 »

Right, that's the rules settled; I'm happy with that. Yes, we shall use a pointrelease of LWJGL 0.97 which will be made available as a signed extension from somewhere.

...but not yet?

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-08-04 22:14:29 »

Things move slowly while we're all busy Smiley Besides I'm thinking it might be nice to wait for the next LWJGL release as it includes the much-waited-for JInput wrapper.

Cas Smiley

Offline cborders

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-08-04 23:15:40 »

Using the JInput wrapper should make the games more flexable!  I think that is a good idea!
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-08-05 00:11:33 »

Things move slowly while we're all busy Smiley Besides I'm thinking it might be nice to wait for the next LWJGL release as it includes the much-waited-for JInput wrapper.

Cas Smiley

Yeah, but I desperately need a stable LWJGL jnlp-ext right now for a game that's getting wide distribution Sad and all your links are dead (even the ones for your own games; note this means its impossible for me to do any of that OS X testing at the moment too).

Or, failing that, a pre-made set of lwjgl-XXX-native.jar files, cos I'm having problems making them manually, and the current distro of LWJGL doesn't seem to have these any more?

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-08-05 00:20:02 »

Nothing wrong with any of my links here...

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-08-05 00:35:39 »

Nothing wrong with any of my links here...

Cas Smiley

Not Found

The requested URL /downloads/shared/test/lwjgl-windows.jar was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) Server at www.puppygames.net Port 80

EDIT: but my mistake on the PG.net ones....I'd just manually looked at the JNLP and thought the URL's were the same. They aren't - the working ones don't have the "/test/" string in the middle Wink

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2005-08-05 12:28:37 »

Ah yes, I moved everything out of /test now it's stable.
...and it broke Dudester and Puppytron. Haha Cheesy And I can't be bothered to fix them for a while.

Cas Smiley

Offline Alan_W

JGO Knight

Medals: 8

Java tames rock!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2005-08-09 11:49:36 »

Cas Smiley

Yeah, but we are two thirds of the way through the year now.  Soon it will be time for the 2006 4k competiton. Smiley

Any idea when the next LWJGL release will be.  Elias put some fixes into the security wrappers, which should allow me to recompile SharpShooter16k against it without either needing to kludge the library (as I'm doing currently) or sign the application (which makes it over 16k).

Alan

Time flies like a bird. Fruit flies like a banana.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #25 - Posted 2005-08-09 16:07:30 »

I hope RSN, seeing as he's just fixed a bug with SiS cards, and also we've got gamepad support again.

Cas Smiley

Offline woogley
« Reply #26 - Posted 2005-08-09 16:10:53 »

Very good news. It was a good idea to update lwjgl before the contest. However it would have been interesting to run a contest during the summer months just to see what people could make with 3 months of free-ish time Smiley

Maybe next year Wink

Until then, bring on the 16K! Cheesy
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #27 - Posted 2005-09-01 17:41:10 »

So... we're a month later on.. is there going to be an LWJGL 16k ?

Should we just start another mini contest (read no prizes) instead - or is 16k really imminent?

Kev

Offline g666

« Reply #28 - Posted 2005-09-01 18:06:23 »

How about a new contest, where all the games have to have a common theme somehow.

desperately seeking sanity
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #29 - Posted 2005-09-01 19:38:43 »

So... we're a month later on.. is there going to be an LWJGL 16k ?

Should we just start another mini contest (read no prizes) instead - or is 16k really imminent?

Kev

I've been waiting for LWJGL 16k to be over and done with before seriously starting a JGF competition. Since that's obviously not going to happen, I'll get started on a JGF competition this weekend (prizes, rules, judges, details, and libraries). I'll post something on Monday.

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (11 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (9 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (11 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (12 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (42 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (38 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (32 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (34 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (49 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (50 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org