Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (535)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Important: Changes to Xith3Ds texture loading functionality and API  (Read 4376 times)
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Posted 2005-06-03 04:17:27 »

Matthias Mann has been hard at working improving the texture loading abilities of Xith3D in several ways.

He has created an alternative texture loader named TextureLoader2.  The TextureLoader2 is a better documented, faster and cleaner way of loading textures.  He has also fixed some bugs and added support for compressed textures.  If the TextureLoader2 class is well recieved,  the old TextureLoader class will be deprecated and support fased out.  The changes are well documented in both the code, and javadoc and have been made for both supported renderers of Xith3D (JOGL and LWJGL), and I thank Matthais for doing this.

He submited the changes as Issue 92

In fixing the bugs and cleaning up the code, several API changes were necessary which is why I have not yet committed the changes in.

Please download and test out (with your code), this experimental build:
http://xith.org/download/builds/2005-06-01_experimental-textureloader2/Xith3D_2005-06-01_experimental-textureloader2.tar.gz
I have also uploaded the TexutreLoader2 Javadoc

There is a new test case:  Xith3DBumpMappingTest which shows off some of the new functionality.

Matthais will be checking this thread regularly to answer any of your questions.

In two weeks from now, on the 17th of June, 2005, unless there are any vetos to the changes in this forum, I will commit this patch to the core, so please test it prior to that day.

Thanks Matthais for your valuable contribution to Xith3D!

Cheers,

Will.

Offline arne

money is the worst drug- we should not let it rule

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-06-03 12:50:26 »

Hi

- I tested, if the old loader works still - It does.

- I tested also a mixture of the old and the new loader, because the new loader hasn't got functionalities like getting a BufferedImage from a Image-file (ofcourse, I could have used ImageIO). - This works also.

- I tested also the examples. They are all very nice!! But I think the Bumpmapping doesn't work. Here it is:

Conclusion: The new loader works super  Grin - Well done!!, but we should keep the old loader - they don't seem to interfere.

Arne

:: JOODE :: Xith3d :: OdeJava ::
Offline arne

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-06-03 13:16:31 »

Uhh-ohhh - One important thing I forgot to mention - the texture's orientation is not the same as in the old Textureloader. (It's rotated or mirrored, not sure what exactly) So it would become a nasty business, when we all had to change our texture coordinates.

Arne

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-06-03 15:40:18 »

Hi Arne,

Thanks for testing it.

What setup are you running there?  Bumpmapping works for me (I think, to be honest I don't know what I am looking for, it certainly looks better than your Screeen Shot) on my Apple PowerBook G4, but not on my PC which has a fairly dated GeForce2 MX 400 card (in the latter case, it just dies and displays nothing).  I have attached (love the new forums!) my screen shot.

You're right, the new and old loaders should in theory be usable together as they both return the same objects.  I am not proposing we remove the old Loader any time soon, if ever, but assuming the new loader is well recieved we may recommend people don't use the old one.

Regarding the mirrored textures, I am not noticing this.  I ran my game on it, and everything looked OK (granted, I'm not doing any fancy textureing, but I certainly do load a lot of textures).  The com.xith3d.test.tcm.CubicEnvironmentMap demo also looked fine.

I agree, it is unacceptable to ask people to change texture coordinates!  Be assured we would not let this happen.  Can you post any more info on this problem?

Cheers,

Will.

Offline Matthias

Medals: 3
Projects: 1

TWL - Themable Widget Library

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-06-03 18:55:11 »

Hello,

I want to point out the basic way to use TextureLoader2.

First you get the TextureLoader2 instance:
        TextureLoader2 tl = TextureLoader2.getInstance();

Then you need to register aleast one locator. A locator is responible to resolve the texture name to either an InputStream (a TextureStreamLocator) or directly to a Texture (a TextureLocator). Mostly you want to use a TextureStreamLocator.
We will add 2 locators one for our current java resources (JAR files etc...) and the current directory:
        tl.addTextureStreamLocator(new TextureStreamLocatorURL(getClass().getResource(".")));
        tl.addTextureStreamLocator(new TextureStreamLocatorFile(new File(".")));

Then we can register additional decoders (called TextureStreamLoader), they parse the content of a file and produces textures. Included is a TextureStreamLoader that can load compressed DDS files (which are now directly supported by Xith3d !):
        tl.addTextureStreamLoader(new TextureStreamLoaderDDS());

After all that (hard) work we can finally load a texture. We will load the file "lena.dds" as an RGB file (without alpha) and we want mipmaps (note: DDS needs to contain mipmaps - automatic generation not supported(
        tl.getTexture("lena.dds", TextureLoader2.RGB, true)

We can also load a bmp file. Here mipmap generation is supported but for a normalmap (bumpmapping) it's not good to generate mipmaps because the texture stores normal vectors and not colors.
        tl.getTexture("normalmap.bmp", TextureLoader2.RGB, false)

A additional note: If a texture was not found a black/white check-board with 2x2 pixels is returned.

PS: The bumpmapping demo requires vertex and pixel shaders. It works on a GeForce FX 5700 (tested)  or a Radeon 8500 (untested). Don't try it with a Radeon 7500 or Geforce 3 !

That's it. - happy coding.
Offline arne

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-06-03 20:51:35 »

For the Bumpmapping:
I've got a Radeon 9000 Series.
I used the BumpmappingTest from your demo directory, so there shouldn't be any coding errors.

About the textures:
I made two screenshots one with the old-loader and one with the new loader.
1. using TextureLoader

2. using TextureLoader2

I simply changed these lines
Texture tiles = texloader.loadTexture(tilePath,"RGB",true,Texture.BASE_LEVEL,Texture.BASE_LEVEL_LINEAR,Texture.WRAP);
Texture alphamap = texloader.getMinMapAlphaTexture(alphaPath);

to
Texture tiles = texloader2.getTexture(tilePath,true);
Texture alphamap = texloader2.getTexture(alphaPath,true);

I don't post the TextureLoader creations here, because I create both Loaders in both cases, so nothing chenges there. It's really only those two lines!!

In the Xith3DColorComponentTest there is a similiar result, but I don't know if it is just coded badly there. (The red squares are not there, where the Texture is blending into red)

Arne

Offline Matthias

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-06-03 23:42:41 »

Hi Arne,

Maybe it helps if you mirror all textures verticaly. For this you need to change the last boolean argument from 'false' to 'true' in line 384 of TextureLoader2.java

byte[] data = new byte[lineSize * height];

pp.createFromBufferedImage(
                data, 0, lineSize,
                img, 0, 0, width, height, false);   <===== make false to true !

Texture2D tex = new Texture2D(

This will then mirror the texture on the y-axis. If this helps I will add it as an additional parameter to the various getTexture(...) functions.

About the bump-mapping:
Do you use the newest ATI driver ? I discovered that their drivers for new cards are not very good.
Did it print any errors or warnings while starting / running ?
Can you tell me the exact type of your ATI card ?

Ciao Matthias Mann
Offline arne

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-06-04 12:21:38 »

Yes, mirroring the texture vertically did the job, so you should add a flag to the loader for that. (this option would be really good to have, because I had to mirror the textures before to let them show correctly with the old loader -so you can say I'm mirroring them twice now Wink )

I installed a new driver, but nothing changed.
The exact type of the card is: SAPPHIRE RADEON 9000 ATLANTIS PRO (Windows doesn't show it, when you're only logged in as a user)

Here's my output:

Available 0: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: false, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: true, DepthBits: 24, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 8, Red Accum: 0, Green Accum: 0, Blue Accum: 0, Alpha Accum: 0 ] MS: false 2 Score: 1312

Available 1: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: false, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: true, DepthBits: 24, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 8, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16 ] MS: false 2 Score: 1376

Available 2: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: true, DepthBits: 24, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 8, Red Accum: 0, Green Accum: 0, Blue Accum: 0, Alpha Accum: 0 ] MS: false 2 Score: 312

Available 3: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: true, DepthBits: 24, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 8, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16 ] MS: false 2 Score: 376

Available 4: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: false, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 32, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha:0, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 0 ] MS: false 2 Score: 1120

Available 5: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: false, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 16, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha:0, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 0 ] MS: false 2 Score: 1120

Available 6: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 32, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 0, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 0 ] MS: false 2 Score: 120

Available 7: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 16, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 0, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 0 ] MS: false 2 Score: 120

Available 8: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: false, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 32, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha:8, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16 ] MS: false 2 Score: 1424

Available 9: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: false, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 16, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha:8, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16 ] MS: false 2 Score: 1424

Available 10: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 32, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha:8, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16 ] MS: false 2 Score: 424

Available 11: GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: false, DepthBits: 16, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha:8, Red Accum: 16, Green Accum: 16, Blue Accum: 16, Alpha Accum: 16 ] MS: false 2 Score: 424
Chosen index: 2
Chosen capabilities:
GLCapabilities [DoubleBuffered: true, Stereo: false, HardwareAccelerated: true,DepthBits: 24, StencilBits: 8, Red: 8, Green: 8, Blue: 8, Alpha: 8, Red Accum: 0, Green Accum: 0, Blue Accum: 0, Alpha Accum: 0 ] MS: false 2
Init GL is net.java.games.jogl.impl.windows.WindowsGLImpl
OpenGL Renderer = RADEON 9000 DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE
OpenGL Version = 1.3.1006 WinXP Release
OpenGL Vendor = ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Extensions = GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_S3_s3tc GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_element_array GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_map_object_buffer GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATI_vertex_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_attrib_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_streams GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATIX_texture_env_route GL_ATIX_vertex_shader_output_point_size GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays L_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_shader GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control
No Fragment Program support, skipping

Arne

Offline Matthias

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-06-04 21:11:55 »

Hello,

you driver has support for GL_ARB_fragment_shader  but not for GL_ARB_fragment_program (which is used by Xith3D) - so you need to get a better card like a Radeon 9600+ or a Geforce FX 5200+ Smiley

You can check that with the OpenGL Extension Viewer from http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview

Ok, I will submit a patch that adds the mirroring as an option.

Ciao Matthias Mann
Offline arne

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-06-05 15:35:29 »

you driver has support for GL_ARB_fragment_shader  but not for GL_ARB_fragment_program (which is used by Xith3D) - so you need to get a better card like a Radeon 9600+ or a Geforce FX 5200+ Smiley

Hmmm too bad - but couldn't we do something, so that the guys with bad Graphics cards simply don't show the bumpmapping, so the textures look ok. We would then have to print a message, that the bumpmapping was ignored.
Is this possible?

What is this fragment program doing anyways? (sorry if i'm polluting this thread, but could you use the internal messaging service, or you icq, to answer me (if you want), so this thread doesn't get that much polluted)

Arne

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline croft

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-06-07 21:09:30 »

I'm getting the following exception using the experimental JAR xith3d.jar from the tar file:

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Illegal field name "
" in class com/xith3d/scenegraph/Node
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

Is anybody else getting this problem?  If not, I'll check to see if I need to update my other JARs or compile from the source.

David Wallace Croft / www.CroftSoft.com / (214) 636-3790 m / Advanced Java Game Programming
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-06-08 02:04:29 »

That's pretty strange  Huh

The source is included, can you try compiling it yourself (just 'ant')?  You'll need to copy in a "third-party" directory from another Xith3D installation, or downloaded here: http://xith.org/download/third-party.tar.gz

Will.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-06-13 05:19:36 »

5 days to go before integration.  Please check this experimental build out.

So far there are no vetos and the code will be added as planned.

Will.

Offline croft

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-06-13 23:17:23 »

That's pretty strange  Huh

The source is included, can you try compiling it yourself (just 'ant')?  You'll need to copy in a "third-party" directory from another Xith3D

OK, I compiled using the experimental source instead of the experimental JAR and it did not crash.  TextureLoader2 is working OK.  One of my texture coordinates is flipped but I think that is a problem with my code and not TextureLoader2.

David Wallace Croft / www.CroftSoft.com / (214) 636-3790 m / Advanced Java Game Programming
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-06-14 08:44:44 »

That's the second report on flipped texture's we've had.

Matthias,

Should the default setting be flipped?  Are there any disadvantages of htis?

Will.

Offline croft

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-06-14 20:09:38 »

That's the second report on flipped texture's we've had.

Matthias,

Should the default setting be flipped?  Are there any disadvantages of htis?

In TextureLoader, it would happen when I would pass in a BufferedImage, but not when I would load from a resource JAR.  I dug around in the code trying to figure it out.  My guess is that it has something to do with textures being stored upside down in graphics memory but that is just a hunch.  Maybe something similar is going on in TextureLoader2?

It could be that the COLLADA exporter I used flipped the texture coordinates.  Not sure.  I'll dig into it.

Offline croft

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-06-14 23:26:05 »

In TextureLoader, it would happen when I would pass in a BufferedImage, but not when I would load from a resource JAR.  I dug around in the code trying to figure it out.  My guess is that it has something to do with textures being stored upside down in graphics memory but that is just a hunch.  Maybe something similar is going on in TextureLoader2?

It could be that the COLLADA exporter I used flipped the texture coordinates.  Not sure.  I'll dig into it.

I dug into it.  I created a test case of a simple square polygon with a 512x512 texture.  The T coordinate is flipped when you use code that looks something like this:

textureLoader2.addTextureStreamLocator ( new TextureStreamLocatorURL ( baseURL ) );

texture = textureLoader2.getTexture ( imageName, false );

I'm using TextureStreamLocatorURL because I am pulling the texture image file off of the Web.  I would not be surprised if it is not flipped when loading from a File but is flipped when loading from BufferedImage or URL.  I haven't tested this theory, though.

Offline Matthias

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-06-15 01:31:13 »

Hello,

It's not a problem to flip the image by default. I suggest to change the line that I pointed out in an erlier post for the cvs checkin.

After the changes have been checked in I will submit a new RFE with adds the option to choose if the image should be fliped (default) or not.

Cioa Matthias Mann
Offline croft

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-06-15 20:11:33 »

It's not a problem to flip the image by default. I suggest to change the line that I pointed out in an erlier post for the cvs checkin.

After the changes have been checked in I will submit a new RFE with adds the option to choose if the image should be fliped (default) or not.

I'm not sure I understand.  Should the image be flipped by default?  If so, is this because textures are traditionally flipped by default?

Offline Matthias

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-06-15 21:03:27 »

Hello,

it has to do with how OpenGL handles textures: In OpenGL the coordinate (0,0) is the lower left, while in an (standard) image file it's the top left.

In the message http://192.18.37.44/forums/index.php?topic=9771.msg77922#msg77922 I descriped what must be changed to flip BufferedImage based textures.

Ciao Matthias Mann
Offline croft

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-06-15 23:38:56 »

it has to do with how OpenGL handles textures: In OpenGL the coordinate (0,0) is the lower left, while in an (standard) image file it's the top left.

In the message http://192.18.37.44/forums/index.php?topic=9771.msg77922#msg77922 I descriped what must be changed to flip BufferedImage based textures.

Are you recommending that I change the source code of TextureLoader2 as shown in the referenced message?

Offline Matthias

« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-06-16 00:33:37 »

Yes, I also think that the current value of this flag in the source is a bug.

Ciao Matthias Mann
Offline Yuri Vl. Gushchin

Speak Java!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-06-19 13:59:51 »

Hi,

I briefly checked the implementation of TextureLoader2 and have no vote against its inclusion in the core.

I personally do not use TextureLoader and will probably not use TextureLoader2 (except maybe using DDS loading directly or after some refactoring into my private classes), but there are some
comments that may significantly improve all your applications in favor of reducing their memory requirements.

In both implementations (TextureLoader and TextureLoader2) ImageIO.read() is used to load image data to BufferedImage, and then convert it to data buffer either by painting or by direct manual conversion (correct me if I am wrong). This causes DOUBLE memory usage during texture loading, and increases app startup time because of need to copy/convert data (file -> BufferedImage -> data buffer).

From the other side, ImageIO API gives us ability to load texture directly into DirectBufferedImage, so we do not need to use intermediary BufferedImage. The code is rather complicated, because of these functions of ImageIO API are not so well documented, but I have positive result with them.

There is my code for direct texture loading:

public static final Texture2D setupRGBXTexture(String resource, int sizeLimit, int boundaryWidth) 
   {
      BufferedImage bi = null;
      boolean noUpscaleNeeded = false;
      boolean rgba = true;
      try
      {
         ImageInputStream stream = ImageIO.createImageInputStream(J3D2Utils.class.getResourceAsStream(resource));
         Iterator iter = ImageIO.getImageReaders(stream);
         if (iter.hasNext())
         {
            ImageReader reader = (ImageReader)iter.next();
            ImageReadParam param = reader.getDefaultReadParam();
            reader.setInput(stream, true, true);
            int iw = reader.getWidth(0);
            int ih = reader.getHeight(0);
            Iterator it = reader.getImageTypes(0);
            if (it.hasNext())
            {
               ImageTypeSpecifier its = (ImageTypeSpecifier) it.next();
               if (its != null)
               {
                  ColorModel cm = its.getColorModel();
                  if (cm != null)
                  {
                     rgba = cm.hasAlpha();
                  }
               }
            }
            int piw = pow2(iw);
            int pih = pow2(ih);
            if ((iw == piw) && (ih == pih))
            {
               if (rgba)
               {
                  BufferedImage dst = DirectBufferedImage.getDirectImageRGBA(piw, pih);
                  param.setDestination(dst);
               }
               else
               {
                  BufferedImage dst = DirectBufferedImage.getDirectImageRGB(piw, pih);
                  param.setDestination(dst);
               }
            }
            bi = reader.read(0, param);
            stream.close();
            reader.dispose();
            if (sizeLimit > 0)
            {
               if ((piw <= sizeLimit) && (pih <= sizeLimit))
                  noUpscaleNeeded = true;
            }
            else
               noUpscaleNeeded = true;
         }
         else
            stream.close();
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
         System.err.println("Error loading " + resource);
         e.printStackTrace();
      }
      BufferedImage bimg1;
      if ((bi instanceof DirectBufferedImage) && noUpscaleNeeded)
         bimg1 = bi;
      else
      {
         if (rgba)
            bimg1 = upScaleRGBA(bi, sizeLimit);
         else
            bimg1 = upScaleRGB(bi, sizeLimit);
      }
      ImageComponent2D imgc1 = new ImageComponent2D(rgba ? ImageComponent.FORMAT_RGBA : ImageComponent.FORMAT_RGB, bimg1.getWidth(), bimg1.getHeight(), bimg1);
      if (rgba)
         return setupRGBATexture(imgc1, boundaryWidth);
      else
         return setupRGBTexture(imgc1, boundaryWidth);
   }

Please note that I detect image size and presence of Alpha channel BEFORE starting reading the pixels, so ImageIO after reads pixel data directly into DirectImage of neccessary format.

Best regards,
Yuri

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Offline arne

« Reply #23 - Posted 2005-06-19 17:08:49 »

In both implementations (TextureLoader and TextureLoader2) ImageIO.read() is used to load image data to BufferedImage, and then convert it to data buffer either by painting or by direct manual conversion (correct me if I am wrong).
But doesn't it support also other means of texture loading? Isn't it that what all these interfaces in TextureLoader2 are for?

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #24 - Posted 2005-07-24 03:31:53 »

*bump*

OK, the deadline was missed, partly due to the fact these forums were down.

I play to commit these changes in the coming week.  If anyone has any objections, speak up quickly Smiley

Cheers,

Will.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #25 - Posted 2005-08-05 10:48:32 »

I have committed these changes.

Aplogies for the delay (though you have been able to use them though the experimental build anyway).

Will.

Offline croft

Java, Java, Java

« Reply #26 - Posted 2005-08-09 00:44:33 »

When will the new Java Web Start xith3d.jar come out?

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #27 - Posted 2005-08-09 07:24:57 »

Since you are asking for them, give me a week.  I'll put the MD2 loader into the tookit first.

Cheers,

Will.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #28 - Posted 2005-08-09 14:04:00 »

When will the new Java Web Start xith3d.jar come out?

And can you either add the URL to JGF's xith3d page, or if you want a mirror upload the jar file instead? If you message / email me your username on JGF I'll make sure you've got ownership of the xith3d lib (if you hven't already).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline hawkwind

Java games rock!

« Reply #29 - Posted 2005-08-17 01:50:05 »

Yuri

i wanted to use your reduced memory  texture loader, but some methods are missing.  Any chance of posting them??

upScaleRGB(bi, sizeLimit);

setupRGBTexture(imgc1, boundaryWidth);

pow2
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (11 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (8 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (9 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (25 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (10 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (39 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (27 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org