Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Welcome to the new JGO forums!  (Read 18654 times)
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #30 - Posted 2005-06-03 07:06:13 »

oh, and great work ChrisM!
I really like the added features, and especially the performance - *much* faster now.

One simple thing though - when you post a message, you're directed to the board overview, instead of at the message posted.

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #31 - Posted 2005-06-03 07:35:32 »

It works. :-)
Many tanks to Chris for this big upgrad/move!

As soon as the e-mail notification arrives, everything should be (near) perfect.

Hopefully this will give the Java game devs a new boost to strengthen their efforts on their games. :-)
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 15
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #32 - Posted 2005-06-03 09:05:12 »

Looks great. Thanks for all the hard work over the last couple of days

Alan Smiley

/Edit would it be possible to add hyperlinking to:
Java Games Forums - A Java.Net Community  |  General Category  |  Java.Net - Games General Discussions  |  Modify message ( Re: Welcome to the new JGO forums! )

What for?

-Chris

To jump back in the forum tree, of course. PHPBB has one of those as well, and lets you click one parent category to jump there immediately.
I use(d) them all the time to navigate, so please consider adding them again.

Play Minecraft!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #33 - Posted 2005-06-03 09:59:52 »

oh, and great work ChrisM!
I really like the added features, and especially the performance - *much* faster now.

One simple thing though - when you post a message, you're directed to the board overview, instead of at the message posted.

Um...everyone might want to go to their profile, find "Return to topics after posting by default." and turn it to on, to get rid of the annoying default behaviour that's different from the old forum and most otehrs.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #34 - Posted 2005-06-03 10:13:43 »

pleaspleaseplease...can we have new icons for "new posts" and "no new posts" on the forums list?

Right now, we have:
  no new posts: medium grey on lighter grey gradient on dark blue on medium grey
  new posts: very very subtle blotch of yellow almost the same colour as medium-grey.... on medium grey on lighter grey gradient on dark blue on medium grey

Offline Spasi
« Reply #35 - Posted 2005-06-03 10:34:41 »

Great work Chris, just one request; the code blocks are pretty nice, but I find the quote ones difficult to read, especially when they're nested. Could you please try some different color/font combinations ? If others agree of course. Thanks.
Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #36 - Posted 2005-06-03 12:14:36 »

pleaspleaseplease...can we have new icons for "new posts" and "no new posts" on the forums list?

Right now, we have:
  new posts: very very subtle blotch of yellow almost the same colour as medium-grey.... on medium grey on lighter grey gradient on dark blue on medium grey

I agree with blahblahblahh here and I was going to comment on it myself.  It's really difficult to see at a glance what's new and what got new posts andwhat hasn't.

Overall the forums are a big improvement though.

Oh whay as 3rd party apps been moved to the bottom of the page and the businus stuff that dosn't see much traffic been moved up?  Did I miss a discussion somewhere?

Also would it be possible to have better quality/smoother icons?  The current ones seem a bit rough around the edges.

Cheers,
Dan.
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3
Exp: 14 years

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #37 - Posted 2005-06-03 12:53:03 »

Right now, we have:

No problem.  Will recolor the icon

-Chris

Offline Spasi
« Reply #38 - Posted 2005-06-03 13:08:10 »

Also, the hover & visited color for links is too dark, it makes them look almost like normal text (e.g. "Show unread posts" on the header). A non-gray color would be better (just don't underline them Wink).
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 3

Luke...END OF LINE

« Reply #39 - Posted 2005-06-03 15:26:17 »

Right now, we have:

No problem.  Will recolor the icon

-Chris

Better?

-Chris

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #40 - Posted 2005-06-03 17:30:20 »

Yes. Well, they aren't 100% visually pleasing, but they do the trick. Navigating is as quick as it was before Smiley

edit:
http://192.18.37.44/forums/Themes/Apollo/images/on2.gif

That one is missing. You can see that one if someone posted in a child board (eg your games here->FPS)

edit² (just because):

Searching is *damn* fast now! W00t! Grin

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #41 - Posted 2005-06-04 13:09:13 »

Better?

Yeah, fantastic Cheesy.

...but, strangely, there seems to be no equivalent once you click on a forum itself - I was expecting (from SMF docs + other sites) to see a different icon on the individual threads, indicating which had "new posts" since my last visit; IIRC this was one of SMF's main features? I mean, I can't even see a difference between icons at all, let alone a subtle one...

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #42 - Posted 2005-06-04 19:48:51 »

I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, but the big red "blotch" stands out enough on the forums with new posts.
I also see the word "new" beside threads with new posts.  Aren't you getting that blah3?

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #43 - Posted 2005-06-04 20:29:34 »

I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, but the big red "blotch" stands out enough on the forums with new posts.

Yes, that is what Chris added because I asked for it!

But now I'm pointing out that there's no equivalent for *threads within a forum* - yet I thought that was a core feature of SMF: that it showed you which *threads* had changed since you last visited?

This was *definitely* a requested feature on the old boards, that they only let you see "today's posts" which is useless if you've been away considerably more or less than "time since midnight" hours....

I also see the word "new" beside threads with new posts.  Aren't you getting that blah3?

! I'm not getting the word "new" anywhere!

Any chance you could attach a quick screenshot? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place (although I did a text search of the page to check, it's maybe an image instead?)

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #44 - Posted 2005-06-04 23:56:31 »

Yes it's an image.
This is what it looks like when I view the list of threads within the forum:

If you click on the "new" it takes you straight to the first new message in the thread.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #45 - Posted 2005-06-05 10:50:06 »

LOL - yes, that does show-up, I jsut couldn't see it! On my LCD screen, the new button is so small you have to peer closely to read what it says, and being the same colour as almsot everything else , I didn't notice it. Doh.

Embarrassed

Anwyay, no problem now I know where to look / waht to look for Smiley

Offline Raghar

Ue ni taete 'ru hitomi ni kono mi wa dou utsuru

« Reply #46 - Posted 2005-06-07 17:17:08 »

Could someone kill that flashy new button. I'm strongly against xxxxxxxxxx
Offline tom
« Reply #47 - Posted 2005-06-07 17:39:26 »

Could someone kill that flashy new button. I'm strongly against xxxxxxxxxx

I agree. Animated gifs are bad enough. Having that many flashing at the same time is really irritating.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4

Maximumisness

« Reply #48 - Posted 2005-06-07 18:15:20 »

Thanks Chris, the new forum is great!

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #49 - Posted 2005-06-08 07:28:11 »

I agree. Animated gifs are bad enough. Having that many flashing at the same time is really irritating.

Animated GIFs are annoying.
In the great Opera browser, simply disable GIF animations in the options.
In the great Firefox browser, enter "about:config" in the URL line, then change the value of the key named "image.animation_mode"  to  (string) value "once".
That's it.
Offline amannis

Junior Newbie

« Reply #50 - Posted 2005-06-08 08:53:40 »

The new forums look nice, though I'd suggest trying to make the first cells of each forum row as close to a square as possible and centering the "new posts image" both horizontally and vertically. Making the sub-forum description font the same size as the moderator row has now, and removing the moderator row completely would make it look even better.. the moderators are shown in top of each sub-forum anyways. Not such a big deal but I think it'd look nicer and more compact. Especially on 1600x1200 the cells are scaled horizontally and look ugly, even more cause the image ain't centered. Also the quote blocks could be improved, something like light gray background with slighty larger (maybe italic?) font.
Offline amannis

Junior Newbie

« Reply #51 - Posted 2005-06-08 21:17:17 »

Ok, I played a bit with dreamweaver and this is more or less what I had in mind: dead link. There's also a new "new posts" image (and slightly tweaked "no posts" image), maybe you like it.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #52 - Posted 2005-06-09 15:35:03 »

First, thanks for the new forums -- they seem to be much nicer than the previous one. I've occasionally seen an error related to sendmail when I've replied to a forum posting, though not in the past couple of days; maybe this has been fixed. However, could someone please change the color of URL text to something brighter? I mean when using the "url" tag to bracket some text, not when pasting a link into a posting (which looks fine). Thanks.
Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #53 - Posted 2005-06-10 10:49:24 »

The contests forum doesn't show the summary of posts and topics correctly.  There are over 80 topics, but it shows 0.

I have my screen set to 1024x768, but I still have the horizontal scrollbar showing up in IE 6.0.  I think it is being caused by the title banner.

ps.  New forums are great.  Thanks for all your work.

Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #54 - Posted 2005-06-19 21:24:11 »

I've just noticed that with the new board classification I'm a JGO Ninja. That's pretty cool cos I am a regular at JGO and I am also a Ninja Smiley
Offline Texas10

Innocent Bystander

« Reply #55 - Posted 2005-10-17 21:15:18 »

On almost a daily basis i am asked, when going to the java site, which download do i select. 99% are yahoo gamers, what , in your opinion, should i reccommend.
Offline Jeff

JGO Coder

Got any cats?

« Reply #56 - Posted 2006-04-03 02:37:48 »

Which download for what?

If all they want is to play Java games then they should go to www.getjava.com and download the latest JRE.

Got a question about Java and game programming?  Just new to the Java Game Development Community?  Try my FAQ.  Its likely you'll learn something!

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Games/JeffFAQ
Offline arne

money is the worst drug- we should not let it rule

« Reply #57 - Posted 2006-04-08 16:25:30 »

On almost a daily basis i am asked, when going to the java site, which download do i select. 99% are yahoo gamers, what , in your opinion, should i reccommend.

Isn't this completely Off-Topic?

:: JOODE :: Xith3d :: OdeJava ::
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 164
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #58 - Posted 2006-05-02 00:07:42 »

Can we please have that ban on people posting within the first 48hrs.

Kev

Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 12

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #59 - Posted 2006-10-02 20:32:59 »

Can we please have that ban on people posting within the first 48hrs.

Kev

I don't think that would be a good idea.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Dwinin (25 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (56 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (69 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (35 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (56 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (40 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (26 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (33 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (31 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19

mitcheeb (39 views)
2014-09-04 23:08:59
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org