Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (546)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  Conquer - LWJGL Turnbased Strategy  (Read 19221 times)
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Posted 2005-05-02 13:20:56 »

Guess what, although I haven't been popping up with new Rimscape updates, I HAVE been coding!  Since Rimscape needs a whole new fancy GUI system, I figured it the best way to make it would be to get it just perfectly how I want it with a very simple game, and then use the system I built to toss into Rimscape without having to fiddle with all the little things in the midst of its giant code.

So, as a result, my artist got excited and went all out with new art, and now I have a new game!  This is done totally with LWJGL, which is a first for me.  Hopefully within a month or two I'll have a good buddy of mine implementing some client/server code so people can actually play this online.  Until then, check it out!

Play Conquer!
If you're not sure of what to do, click on one of the ? icons in the window of your interest and a message box will tell you what's up.  The basic concept of the game is to send ships from planets you own to planets you don't own in an effort to takeover the galaxy.

It's my clone of a game that comes with Fedora called Konquest.  However, it lacked many features that I REALLY wanted, so I figured I'd better make my own Wink  Let me know what you guys think!

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-05-02 13:50:57 »

Excellent - nice and quick game. Lost though Sad
Gui looking nice!

I'll test it a bit more, just need to fix my bike right now

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 75
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-05-02 14:27:18 »

cool gui! just trying to figure out how to play!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline JoC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-05-02 15:35:28 »

Nice gui and fun to play. Good work  Smiley
Offline Vorax

Projects: 1

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-05-02 22:14:47 »

Very cool indeed Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-05-02 22:28:03 »

not impressed. VM crashes on startup every time I try to run it (linux)

EDIT: i.e. the java console window appears and then disappears isntantly, with the JVM exiting.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline woogley
« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-05-02 22:33:56 »

cool interface, but .. I have no idea what I'm doing lol Grin. Isn't quite as animated as Rimscape Lips Sealed Good start though
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-05-02 23:08:42 »

@ blah: not sure what to think of that.  It's just LWJGL Smiley  Works on every linux machine I've tested on.

@ woogley: yeah it's not an action game Smiley  If you're not sure what you're doing, try clicking the ? icons for help.

GameLizard.com
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-05-03 03:39:59 »

Blah, I found some silly code that wasn't printing exceptions when thrown Smiley  Could you try again please?  Thanks!

I added a Directions button in the main menu to help you guys get started.

GameLizard.com
Offline digitprop

« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-05-03 11:40:03 »

Nice game, fun to play.

I don't like the GUI, though: The font is hard to read, and there is a lot of visual noise (e.g. the thick bevelled borders). My benchmark for scifi-themed GUIs is this question: Would an advanced civilization in the year 3535 come up with something like this, after they had 1.5 millenia to optimize GUIs? Thus, clean, slim interfaces are usually much more appealing and convincing.

Also, the 'minimize' / 'maximize' buttons of the 'windows' do not work. In fact, my impression is that the whole window metaphor does not work very well with games, and I would simply set up fixed panels.

The biggest space for improvement, IMHO, is the movement of ships: I would try to avoid the switching between mouse and keyboard. For example, it could work like this: Player clicks on a planet and a slider bar pops up. The bar indicates a range of [0-number of ships on planet]. The player then drags the mouse across the bar to select how many ships to move. The number of ships is then shown next to the mouse pointer, and the player simply clicks on the target planet.

On a related note, I would indicate the number of ships next to each planet, since this information is available to the player anyway. As an additional tactical challenge, you could add a 'fog of war' where the number of ships on planets is given as a range (e.g. 50-60 ships), with the size of the range depending on how distant a planet is to the next friendly planet.

Hope I didn't sound too critical - I really like the game as it is, but I think the GUI could be much more user-friendly...

M. Fischer . www.digitprop.com
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-05-03 14:25:40 »

Good comments!  I'll send along your comment to my artist to see if he can make improvements Smiley

Yeah, minimize/maximize is the latest thing I'm working on.  This game isn't even available on my site since it's still under so much development.  It was just finally at a playable state so I decided to share  Grin  However those features will come very soon!

I agree that this game might actually look nicer with fixed windows, but like I said, Rimscape has real need for the system, and since this is a simple game, I now have a test toy to build the GUI system on.  I think once there are more windows to manage it'll be more useful.  Some of the ones you don't want to ever leave... yeah... I can see how you'd want them fixed, but popup windows and the main menu window you definitely want mobile.

As for the scrollbar for ship movement, I'll definitely add that!  Although when my friends and I play this and the original, it's done with one hand on the mouse and one hand on the numpad for fastest playing.  However I can see how it'd be nice to have the scrollbar, and thanks to my new fancy GUI system it'll be dead easy to do, so I'll do it Wink  Thanks!

Not sure what I think of your last suggestions... If this advanced civilization needs to optimize pixel space on their screens with streamlined GUI's, I doubt they would have reached that point while doing battle with others with horribly innacurate communication between planets Smiley

I have an idea that I think'll work for your ship-number-on-planets idea Smiley  I'll let you know when I've added that.

Thanks again!

GameLizard.com
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-05-03 18:35:52 »

Tried it again on OS X and I just got some blank screen with some graphics on, pictures of pixellated red and green ships.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Matlu

Hasta La Victoria Siempre!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-05-03 19:34:57 »

...looks cool....  but.... is there a way to find out what am I expected to do?  Smiley

Multiplayer Online Games
http://www.duelboard.com
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-05-03 23:40:11 »

@blah:  weird!  I try on my OSX Powerbook here with no flaws.  Could you get a screenshot up?  Like I said, it's just LWJGL, nothing more fancy than the most basic of window setups.

Matlu, you can click on the Directions button in the Main Menu that appears as soon as the game starts.  That'll tell you what to do to start.  If you have questions about any of the windows you see, there's a ? button at the top right corner of each one.  Click that to get more info on it.

GameLizard.com
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-05-08 05:07:48 »

Could those of you with Mac and Linux machines give Conquer another try?  Things should be better now, and I'd like you to try the DisplayMode switching.  Plug in a resolution, fullscreen/window toggle, then click the checkbox just beneath those options (sorry I don't have a real button for that yet).  I'm trying to get things sorted out right in that department.  I've seen it work fine on Windows and Mac, now I just need help testing to get all the kinks ironed out Smiley  Thanks!

GameLizard.com
Offline endolf

JGO Coder

Medals: 7

Current project release date: sometime in 3003

« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-05-09 12:59:26 »

Linux 2.6.10 kernel, Xorg, Gnome, jdk 1.5.0_02, Nvidia geforce 5650 go in a Dell inspiron 8600.

Worked fine at a couple of resolutions Smiley

Wasted some time I needed for other things ;P

Endolf

Offline kappa
« League of Dukes »

JGO Kernel

Medals: 75
Projects: 15

★★★★★

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-05-09 13:51:07 »

you are indeed a horrible person, releasing such an addictive game before my exams  Grin

very nice game, but very hard to beat more that 2 computers at once!
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-05-09 19:24:35 »

great to hear  Grin

I hope I can continue to gain enemies in the future with more updates!  Muhahaha!!

By the way, were any of those resolutions in fullscreen exclusive mode?  I still have one person reporting that they can't get fullscreen modes working on Linux.  I dunno if I've fixed it now or not.  I know it works for some on Linux.

GameLizard.com
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-05-21 02:25:33 »

Well the game has gotten continuous updates almost every day since I last posted, so I figure I should add another post encouraging you guys to check it out again Smiley  Also, Conquer is now listed on GameLizard.  Check it out on the main page Smiley

http://www.gamelizard.com/

GameLizard.com
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Medals: 781
Projects: 4
Exp: 16 years

Hand over your head.

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-05-21 13:20:32 »

every frame rendered, results in:

java.lang.NullPointerException
      at conquer.images.Media$QueueEntry.access$0(Media.java:306)
      at conquer.images.Media$PlanetImageLoader.setNextImage(Media.java:347)
      at conquer.images.Media.run(Media.java:300)
      at conquer.Conquer.run(Conquer.java:750)
      at conquer.LWJGLRunner.runGame(LWJGLRunner.java:374)
      at conquer.LWJGLRunner.main(LWJGLRunner.java:54)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NullPointerException
      at conquer.images.Media$QueueEntry.access$0(Media.java:306)
      at conquer.images.Media$PlanetImageLoader.setNextImage(Media.java:347)
      at conquer.images.Media.run(Media.java:300)
      at conquer.Conquer.run(Conquer.java:750)
      at conquer.LWJGLRunner.runGame(LWJGLRunner.java:374)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
      at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi, appreciate more people! Σ ♥ = ¾
Learn how to award medals... and work your way up the social rankings
Offline Warren_Head

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-05-22 07:27:15 »

Fullscreen didn't work for me.
Windows XP, ati radeon 9600XT

Oh, it seems the game is missing a 'You've Won!' message, or is there more to it than capturing all the planets? Playing on seems a bit useless.
And another thing, IMHO seeing the contenders ships move through the galaxy adds more excitement to reading a message afterwards about your planet being sacked, or succesfully fending an attack off.

Great looking font and such though, keep it up!
Offline sma

« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-05-22 08:25:15 »

Also, Conquer is now listed on GameLizard.  Check it out on the main page Smiley

http://www.gamelizard.com/

I'm sorry for the rant that follows, but I've seen it lately with nearly every webstart application announced here: The certificate is expired.

I've already a bad feeling with all those self-signed certificates. For a website which looks like a professional service this is very unprofessional. I understand that you're providing a free service here so that it might be too expensive to buy a certificate from a trusted authority but there're other solutions.

And please, at least make the date valid because otherwise you get the feeling that nobody really cares any more.  The Malohkan certificate expired 5 months ago.

Wurmonline's certificate is even worse and did expire in December 2003. Mojang Specifications didn't even bother to fill in the usual subject data. It's again a website of a business of five persons, risking too loose all trust by issuing a suspecious certificate. Okay, perhaps only my trust because you all know these guys from the forums already.

Guys, anybody hacking your server could create a look-alike certificate and provide a hacked version of your software, adding spyware or else.

So at least, I'd recommend to provide a self signed CA certificate separately so that people can add this to their web start configuration (I know, i know certificates PKIs are a difficult matter and perhaps no user understands them but I think then they need to be educated) and then use a normal certificate (issued by that CA) for distributing our software. This way, if you keep the CA's private key save, the risk is much lower because nobody can forge the certificate.

Ideally, the root certificate comes from some trusted authority like "java-gaming.org". They'd then have to allow downloading (via SSL) the root certificate and maintain the private key, responding to cert requests from game designers.

Another opportunity would be that all games listed at "javagamesfactory.org" would use certificates issued by a CA at that site. So people need to add this trust root only once and have a better feeling of trust - and we do trust bla^3h, don't we Smiley

Stefan

.: Truth Until Paradox!
Offline sma

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-05-22 09:02:24 »

I'd like to add a short review of the game:

I find the text difficult to read. The font would work for titles or headlines but I'd prefer something more readable for the body text.

I had trouble with the UI. It's difficult to distinguish the window title bar from the window's body area.  It's also difficult to distinguish the window title bar from the pull down menu.  

New - Game - Settings - Player - Setup

looks exactly like

Menu - InfoDis... - GridBo...  - Console

I tought that the fricky flashing thingy was the input focus. But I couldn't enter anything before clicking into the nearly invisible input field. It's also irritating that the flashing moves on into the next field.  I had no clue what to enter into the Type field and there's also no visible clue what to do after entering

Stefan - Human - A

I pressed Next (because that's the only visible button thingy)  but that didn't add me to the players Sad

On the next screen, even if the number of neutral planets said 5, I'm pretty sure the board under the dialog had only one planet. I switched to 6 and back to 5 to get 5 random planets.

Instead of New Game (where I feared that the new game dialog would restart) I'd suggest a button label like "Start."

I'm starting at W. The console says "Stefan's turn" and I see no visible effect when clicking on InfoDis.. GridBo.. or whatever. Okay, the focussed subwindow seems to get highlighted but the window itself has no visible clue.

I click on W, then Q and wonder how many ships I have... after I noticed the dark grey text in the Info Display, saying 12, I entered 12. It's a bit unfortunely, you click on W, (then there's the info), then on Q (no info) and then I moved to mouse back to the fleet movement subwindow so I missed the info. No I didn't really bother why there's a 12 displayed on the map. Now I know Smiley

I guess, I need to press Next Turn. The console said that Q held off my attack... and I don't have any information about that planet. Guess I wait five turns to try again with 50 ships. It seems not possible to send smaller fleets to spy... but for fun, I send a single ship to both computer players.

After 3 turns, the computer player's have conquered they neighbor planets, so I send my 38 fleets...

Strange... next turn, I've 44 ships on that planet. Seems that I not only conquered the planet but also could produce new ships - unexpected.

It seems there's no way to see how long my fleets need to reach a planet. It would be nice if the info display for the targeted planet would reveal that info.  Otherwise I'm quickly lost in fleet movement.

It would also be nice if production capability could be used to create defense installation or another kind of space ship. Currently, I'm simply moving fleets towards to border, crushing the computer... victory in turn 24 Smiley

Nice game with a few usabily issues. Thanks for providing it.

Stefan

.: Truth Until Paradox!
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #23 - Posted 2005-05-22 23:54:48 »

@Skippy:  So far everyone that told me they've had that problem simply needed to click the link again, to find that Webstart hadn't given them the latest version.  Try it again and see if you still have that problem.

@Warren_Head:  Sorry to hear that!  I blame LWJGL Wink  I'll keep working on it until I can get it right.  It works fine for me on Windows.

The reason why your game hadn't finished was because the enemy still had ships out.  This means, you can send ships, have your planet taken, and still have a chance to let that fleet of ships capture another planet and keep you back alive.  When the game is done, a window will pop up showing you the resulting statistics of the game.

As for showing enemy ships... that really kills the strategy element of the game Wink  However, I may add some upgrade-type features in the future allowing you to buy scanners that will let you see incoming ships that are say... 1 or 2 turns away.

@sma:  I thought I recreated that less than 2 months ago... weird.  I don't even know how to see how old it is Smiley  I'll redo it again I guess.  As for the other certificate types you mentioned... I don't know of them.  If they cost money, I don't think I'll go for it any time soon Smiley  I'm a broke college kid who has enough trouble getting gas money.

I'll comment on your game-oriented analysis in a bit.  Thanks for the responses!

GameLizard.com
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #24 - Posted 2005-05-23 00:46:22 »

I find the text difficult to read. The font would work for titles or headlines but I'd prefer something more readable for the body text.

I agree with you there.  I'll see if I can get something better for that.

I had trouble with the UI. It's difficult to distinguish the window title bar from the window's body area.

I'm afraid I don't see the problem... could you be more specific?

It's also difficult to distinguish the window title bar from the pull down menu.  

New - Game - Settings - Player - Setup

looks exactly like

Menu - InfoDis... - GridBo...  - Console

I don't know what you mean about that.  They're different font sizes, different colors, have different borders, and go in different directions.... so I don't understand the issue when you say "looks exactly
like".  Also, if you've ever used Windows or a similarly-themed operating system, the UI should look familar and work in a familiar fashion.  Perhaps if you could give more specific comments as to your problems I might be able to help.

I tought that the fricky flashing thingy was the input focus. But I couldn't enter anything before clicking into the nearly invisible input field. It's also irritating that the flashing moves on into the next field.  I had no clue what to enter into the Type field and there's also no visible clue what to do after entering

Stefan - Human - A

I pressed Next (because that's the only visible button thingy)  but that didn't add me to the players Sad

OK I can surely make changes to help that.  In the future I'll have drop-down lists for the options, but I just haven't reached that yet.  Also, if you have questions about what to do, try clicking the ?'s you see at the top right of each window.  It'll answer those very questions for you.  Does that need to be made more intuitive?  I think other applications have those for this reason...

On the next screen, even if the number of neutral planets said 5, I'm pretty sure the board under the dialog had only one planet. I switched to 6 and back to 5 to get 5 random planets.

Instead of New Game (where I feared that the new game dialog would restart) I'd suggest a button label like "Start."

Both of those are bad bugs.  Thanks for pointing them out!  They'll be fixed ASAP.

I'm starting at W. The console says "Stefan's turn" and I see no visible effect when clicking on InfoDis.. GridBo.. or whatever. Okay, the focussed subwindow seems to get highlighted but the window itself has no visible clue.

I click on W, then Q and wonder how many ships I have... after I noticed the dark grey text in the Info Display, saying 12, I entered 12. It's a bit unfortunely, you click on W, (then there's the info), then on Q (no info) and then I moved to mouse back to the fleet movement subwindow so I missed the info. No I didn't really bother why there's a 12 displayed on the map. Now I know Smiley

OK Smiley  I guess that's not a complaint?

I guess, I need to press Next Turn. The console said that Q held off my attack... and I don't have any information about that planet. Guess I wait five turns to try again with 50 ships. It seems not possible to send smaller fleets to spy... but for fun, I send a single ship to both computer players.

After 3 turns, the computer player's have conquered they neighbor planets, so I send my 38 fleets...

Strange... next turn, I've 44 ships on that planet. Seems that I not only conquered the planet but also could produce new ships - unexpected.

Yeah, it's just part of the game.  At the end of each turn, every planet generates new ships, regardless of whether or not combat has taken place.

It seems there's no way to see how long my fleets need to reach a planet. It would be nice if the info display for the targeted planet would reveal that info.  Otherwise I'm quickly lost in fleet movement.

When you click a starting location, then click a destination, you'll see some >>>> looking things pointing toward the destination.  Count those, that's how long it'll take in turns.  If you want to know later after you've sent the ships, put your mouse over the fleet and it'll tell you when it left, and when it'll arrive.

It would also be nice if production capability could be used to create defense installation or another kind of space ship. Currently, I'm simply moving fleets towards to border, crushing the computer... victory in turn 24 Smiley

That's a neat idea Smiley  After getting the current state of the game as clean as possible I hope to introduce some new features like that (online multiplayer capability being the top priority) without making it so complicated that it discourages new players.

Nice game with a few usabily issues. Thanks for providing it.

Thanks for giving it a try!

OK, I've uploaded a new version.  I think I fixed everything I said I would (minus the new font).  I hope that's true Wink

EDIT:  OK I changed the Font in the message window's to Verdana, so any time you actually have a lot of text to read (except for the Console) it should be plenty readable now.

GameLizard.com
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #25 - Posted 2005-05-23 07:46:19 »

@Skippy:  So far everyone that told me they've had that problem simply needed to click the link again, to find that Webstart hadn't given them the latest version.  Try it again and see if you still have that problem.

IIRC it was your app that made me flush my JWS cache, because it poped up a message that there was probably an update-bug in JWS and then just closed-down. (which is evil as many users don't have a clue what JWS is, and how to clear its cache)

So I had an empty cache, ran your game and it kept throwing exceptions, I just tried again, and it still happens.

Offline Malohkan

« Reply #26 - Posted 2005-05-23 13:54:43 »

Yeah, it is evil, but necessary.  Until Sun fixes the bug themselves, I simply have to deal with it.  That IS the only way to solve the problem as Webstart is currently too stupid to ever refresh the .jnlp file on its own.

As for your error message, that's very strange!  I've seen it before, and each time it was because they had a copy of the .jar that didn't include the QueueEntry class, which was a mistake on my part.  I re-uploaded a fixed version, and it solved the problem.  Anyone that told me they had that problem, I asked them to reload.  Everyone so far says that fixed the problem.  I'm sorry to say I don't have another solution for you!

EDIT:  By the way, I'm sure you don't have the latest version because thost line numbers don't even come close to matching up with the methods they refer to.

GameLizard.com
Offline Warren_Head

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #27 - Posted 2005-05-23 15:37:42 »

As for showing enemy ships... that really kills the strategy element of the game

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that. I actually think it adds a strategic element.
Mostly because right now you cannot see whether you are being attacked or not. If you cannot see the enemy, you will not acknowledge the option of being attacked by them(certainly not at the first game). If therefore your planet ends up being captured, well damn, where is the fun in that? Your planet has been taken over by an invisible strikeforce. I really feel like going at it again?
If you do see a few dots coming towards you, then you could think about the following questions:
- with how many will they be?
- in how many turns will they arrive?
- with how many leftover ships can I attack something myself right now?

If in multiplayer mode, you could fool other players by sending groups of only 1 ship to attack them at one place and sending a huge pile in another direction.

Adding the visual clue really adds tension because it gives the player the notion of: you KNOW I am coming, you HAVE to act. Whereas now you could lose a game, but putting you loss of to: I couldn't know he was coming, just bad luck.

Adding scanners and such is cool too. I know you already said that you made this game purely for testing the gui, so I understand the lack of polishedness in the gameplay. But I'm interested to see where you will lead it to  Smiley

Last run (where I lost hideously) showed an error

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Stack overflow (1283)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:56)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.update(Display.java:515)

at conquer.LWJGLRunner.drawBackbuffer(LWJGLRunner.java:415)

at conquer.LWJGLRunner.runGame(LWJGLRunner.java:370)

Offline Malohkan

« Reply #28 - Posted 2005-05-23 18:19:11 »

The gamesplay is modelled after a game called Konquest.  Right now it works just like that one.  However there was one small problem.  The only multiplayer capability had to be local.  So to play with a friend, we'd sit beside each other and use the game controls.  The game put **'s in where you put in #'s for the ship, so that much was hidden, but you did know when and and where from and where to the fleets were moving.  This really really killed the fun of the game.  There is strategy in knowing you CAN be attacked, and having to defend against what you see being possible in the future, like Chess.  When you are able to see everything moving, then it's just an action game.  You see an enemy, you respond to the enemy.  That's not strategy.  My friends and I who love the original game have tried that and it's really just not fun knowing that much.  We've spent hours upon hours of playing and we all agree that that's not how the game should be played.  That's why I hope to develop this into an online multiplayer game so we can avoid that sort of thing.  I hope that much is enough to convince you that hidden ships are necessary for the structure of the gameplay Smiley

GameLizard.com
Offline Riven
« League of Dukes »

JGO Overlord

Hand over your head.

« Reply #29 - Posted 2005-05-23 19:49:30 »

Well, ofcourse you were right, and I expected clearing the cache would have been enough, but no...

I deleted the entire webstart directory, and now everything works fine...

JWS makes me cry... a little.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (23 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (21 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (12 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (19 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (57 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (37 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (29 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (36 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (66 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org