Games in Android Showcase (114)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (563)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Aevum Obscurum - Multiplayer Strategy Game!  (Read 8698 times)
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #30 - Posted 2006-01-05 00:05:45 »

Regarding events and movements, I have some enhancements planned. The user interface is still not quite as intuative as I would like it to be! Setting tax & Getting tax alternate from turn to turn. I am still planning to improve the statistics to make it more fun.

Yes, the AI is not very strong. I just implemented it for the demo so people can get a feel for the game.

The initial army sizes + that they are constant for neutral fields is bad. I put it onto the todo list ... Thanks.

Seems like a really nice game, but I personally won't have time for multiplayer game over several weeks or so   Wouldn't mind playing the "demo" all the way to the bitter (or sweet) end though!

I am planning to eventually make some money with the game? So, I don't quite want to give away too much yet! Sorry. I don't mean to necessary charge money for it. I have some ideas, so maybe the basic game is free, but offering some tournaments where you have to pay to take part. What do you think? Playing the game is free, but you can also play tournaments, e.g. pay $10. If you win, you get $200? I think adding some player statistics/rating system is cool as well! What's your take on that? I don't know if monthly/yearly subscription is good too?

Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #31 - Posted 2006-05-01 23:27:08 »

I figured it's time for some update! I did quite some reworks in the last couple of months - mostly due to active player feedback (I hope some of my experience is useful to you guys - thanks also for all the support I got from this forum):

Major changes:
  • added diplomacy (build alliances, non-agressive pacts etc...) - just got positive feedback adding this feature (player feature request)
  • added community/clan features: Aevum Obscurum allows you to add your own clan. got 3 clans added to the game - it's not much, but it is a start; it somewhat helps people identify themselves with the game?
  • added installers (mac, unix, windows, linux): Install4J - I prefer web start, but a lot of people out there just have problems installing Java. The installers just call the web start file, i.e. I never have to upload any patches/updates, because the installer just basically starts the game using java web start - Aevum Obscurum is a multiplayer game and you need to be online; it does not make that much sense to distribute your game that way if your game is standalone. Also I managed to limit the download to just as little over 2MB!
  • added the game to some game directories - if nobody knows about the game, who is going to play it?

I got some small group of active players together. I am trying to keep up with feature requests, although I am a bit limited in time. It's more fun to have people playing the game, rather than developing a game for yourself.

That brings up the question: how about creating a game on pure user feedback? Why create a game that only I like? How about a game that is created by a couple of volunteer game designers. They don't need to do any work, they just come up with the design/ideas.

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print