Games in Android Showcase (109)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  ignore  |  Print  
  Automated webstart-maker: need game authors  (Read 19415 times)
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #30 - Posted 2005-02-08 00:46:49 »

I got a different error with IE:
Please contact the admin / dev-team
Copy and paste everything below this line when contacting them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Referer URL:/controllers/create-game

Throwable:java.sql.SQLException: Not a valid escape sequence: {Ô¯tíNÓ/¯­eÔaƒM¸´ÒËêW×b4“½a½©â„±¨5¦çzç®b8piLq1Æ!ÄZ®.óêïÜÙæz¾O«öbZÜòÉ—4¼Y�Ϥëatpá :t~sþ|þzùÊóÏ�¢i´pXþ_k\"ã˨Ä047†â8DNós 5,À¡@)±ÏBì^ÏÁ-4rýC,ò î6æ6¯7ê�øÀßC¥ìxäÕDäɪÅÔH´lP�#´MƒÏq]9¶·ÿ9 ù±®Þè·÷^gxgòõ××t± h.84eÈ`ܾe¡Ú‡¦l1öN›�ú…¯ÐÀÏ°tx²ã† cÃ+'xØ5µVàç·7èf…æ+�gò{Ê~a�kqum >a´ÂÒ >·$�#™%C°â HÆ>,j SÂv´8é²d@ðþÀü¾í`è»´ó½p0†,²5ü�6Ìb$$kz�ñ “-÷¨ “IÕ$²º½Mu1åõ´8â°’F� 7úm*ñ¼Iê1$sØ(Û9èv¾#<‘$Fþ®úèzSÀàöÇY Ç.H™B`ðã LJ¦uÇ´x¸´àÈЈIÂþs¨óSÐ~´ÑܤÏsþ#{TH#¶hÓцÕJ²³4½�æ\¢ƒÈ±*r3í½CÉBÎÜ7¿�ü=×bºÕè³´e´x�¬†dñð´‡ (ÙââÞ|F1ædH#ÿÙ

"
, "", 1, "2005-02-08 04:38:55.584") GE-SQL: with SQL text = INSERT INTO games(name, description_sentence, description_paragraphs, webpage, requiresallpermissions, created) VALUES ("Mighty Bubbles demo", "Fight the water ennemies and save the drops with your powerful bubbles!", "
Mighty Bubbles is the story of a little girl who wants to save her world of the water ennemies invasion. Their goal is to take control of any source of water. There are multiple water trees. Each of them produces water drops and the ennemies want to consume all of them. You, as the little girl (or boy) have to capture all the water ennemies by throwing them bubbles. When an ennemy is captured, you must pop the bubble to eliminate him.

Your second objective is to retreive the water drops taken by the ennemies and bring them back to the water trees. A water tree can't hold more than 6 drops so when one is full, you must fill up another one.

Keys to play: Arrows : Run. X : jump. Z : Shoot. A : Save Point. Esc : Quit the Game. -----------------------------7d52c582c0232 Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"
screenshot280\"; filename=\"D:\mighty_bubbles\images\screenshots\normal.jpg\" Content-Type: image/pjpeg

ÿØÿàJFIFHHÿáÉExifMM*bj(1r2†‡i½ÈAdobe Photoshop 7.02005:02:06 21:53:24 ÿÿ  Ò(&›HHÿØÿàJFIFHHÿí Adobe_CMÿîAdobed¤ÿÛ„            ÿÀ`¤\"
ÿÝÿÄ?  
", "", 1, "2005-02-08 04:38:55.584")

Line Source File
318 In SQLService.java
117 ...called from bExpeditionGeos.java
38 ...called from Geos.java
42 ...called from CreateGameController.java
142 ...called from CMSControllersService.java
117 ...called from bExpeditionGeos.java
38 ...called from Geos.java
62 ...called from HttpPostControllerService.java
251 ...called from bAsynchronousService.java
330 ...called from bModule.java
534 ...called from Thread.java

I cut most of the stack trace since it was essentially binary data of the images.
The game was created the first time with Firefox but not with IE.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #31 - Posted 2005-02-08 06:12:56 »

I got a different error with IE:
[code]
Throwable:java.sql.SQLException: Not a valid escape sequence:

So...looks like the image file is attempting to get into the DB. Rest assured that at no point is any binary data ever placed in the DB, so this means there's something wrong with parsing the form-data - apparently some form-data where MSIE is sending a file is being received and interpreted as a form-field.

Could you confirm two things for me:
- version of MSIE?
- packet-capture? (you'll need to download ethereal.com for this, or else use tcpdump if you run linux/OS X, and run it with the commandline given here: http://www.ethereal.com/docs/user-guide/AppToolstcpdump.html )

Thanks.

I'll look into the other bug (the firefox error) this evening. Thanks!

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #32 - Posted 2005-02-10 11:53:49 »

Just to let you know that I didn't forget you. I'm just too busy this time to troubleshoot what you've asked me.

stay tuned...

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #33 - Posted 2005-02-10 18:53:22 »

Thanks. I've put in error handling for the duplicate name case, and I've added a lot more detail to the other exception (it should give you the root cause exception now)  AND ... I just successfully uploaded JAR files in both MSIE (6) and Mozilla (1.7).

So ... maybe working better now?

PS: SUN! If you introduce a goddamn exception chaining mechanism, don't forget to add it to ALL your damn exceptions (can't throw an IllegalArgException in 1.4 using exception chaining...or else my eclipse is buggered Sad Or maybe I'm so tired I'm missing something obvious? FFS WTF doesn't Exception have a .setCause(). Grr).

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #34 - Posted 2005-02-17 15:52:38 »

Hey blah3, keep up the great work! :-) JGF is improving in the good way I think. I can't wait to see it with the new logo!

The last time I tried to upload Mighty Bubbles, I got an error trying to upload the jars. One question: will you support having jars in seperate folders? My dist uses different folders for the different OSs.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #35 - Posted 2005-02-17 17:07:26 »

The last time I tried to upload Mighty Bubbles, I got an error trying to upload the jars. One question: will you support having jars in seperate folders? My dist uses different folders for the different OSs.

There's still no way to choose different OS/arch's (I have an update that I will upload soon, but I am too ill at the moment).

However, everything else should work fine since my last post?

re: separate folders - sort-of; it's possible, but when you upload everything is placed in one directory and there's no option for you to override that. So long as you have no duplicate *filenames* it's fine - the JNLP is built automatically, so it will correctly pick up the files wherever they are uploaded to.

In future, if there's a lot of requests for it, I might add an option for you to arrange your game into sub-folders (it only needs changes to the HTML form, but it would need some effort to make it easy to use), but not right now.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #36 - Posted 2005-02-19 00:43:19 »

I successfully uploaded survivor - including all the OS-specific nativelibs - but ... webstart hangs "checking for latest version".

I *hate* Sun's webstart client, and recall once again Cas's statement about how the coders responsible ought to be hung by their toenails.

Can anyone see what is wrong with this JNLP? I'd be extremely grateful, since I've got flu and can't concentrate enough for anything this complex myself. But if someone can spot it, and I can fix it easily, then it looks like you'll be able to upload any game.

http://javagamesfactory.org/jnlp/Survivor/alpha

NB: this was at around 02:20 am GMT, but sun's date code in the linux JVM is still f*cking broken after 7+ years and doesn't handle timezones and can't count to 7 either. It makes me weep that no-one can (be bothered to) fix such major bugs Sad. Does this have anything to do with webstart breaking?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp
 spec="1.0+"
 codebase="http://javagamesfactory.org/attachments/game/Survivor/"
 href="http://javagamesfactory.org/jnlp/Survivor/alpha"
 >
        <!-- Last-Modified header will be set to: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 04:28:15 +0100 -->
        <information>
                <title>Survivor</title>
                <vendor>Author: adam</vendor>
                <homepage href="http://grexengine.com/sections/games/survivor/" />
                <description kind="one-line" >You, your gun, and thousands of mindless critters</des
cription>
                <description kind="short" ><p>
You're stuck in a maze. Or a prison. Or maybe you were too drunk to look where you were going and fe
ll down a hole. Whatever...what matters is that you'
re in some underground complex full of rooms fil
led with lots and lots and LOTS of nasty things, all itching to get a piece of you.</p>
<p>Fortunately for you, you have a gun. Unfortunately for the weird critters trying to kill you (who
 knows why? Who cares!), they don't. In fact, they don't even know what a gun is - so there are lots
 of exciting, shiny, and above all dangerous weapons just lying around this place, pretty much ignor
ed by the denizens. It brings a gleam to your eye just thinking about it. A mean, nasty, "Come get s
ome!"
kind of gleam.
</p></description>
                <icon href="game-logo.jpg" />
                <offline-allowed/>
                <jgf-release-type>alpha</jgf-release-type>
                <jgf-release-version>9</jgf-release-version>
        </information>
        <security>
                <all-permissions/>
        </security>
        <resources>
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-game.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-interfaces.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-level-loader.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-renderer.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-resources.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-scripts.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-textures.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/survivor-utils.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/common.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/commongui.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/xith-md2.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/xith-obj.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/xith3d.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/gagetimer.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/bsh-2.0b1.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/vecmath.jar" />
                <jar href="alpha/jogl.jar" />
        </resources>
        <resources os="linux">
                <nativelib href="alpha/jogl-native-linux.jar" />
        </resources>
        <resources os="mac">
                <nativelib href="alpha/jogl-native-macos.jar" />
        </resources>
        <resources os="windows">
                <nativelib href="alpha/gagetimer-native-win32.jar" />
                <nativelib href="alpha/jogl-native-win32.jar" />
        </resources>
        <resources>
                <j2se href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" version="1.4.2+" />
        </resources>
<application-desc/>
</jnlp>

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #37 - Posted 2005-02-19 02:32:52 »

Did you try to put only the name of your jnlp file in the href attribute of the jnlp element instead of the whole URL? I do that in my game and I'm wondering if it matters?

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #38 - Posted 2005-02-19 12:08:26 »

Turns out the problem was a bit of code that used to be a workaround for a problem with HTTP HEAD, but for some reason now instead of fixing the bug created a new one. Webstart, being crap, crashes if you return a HEAD response with an explicit content-length of 0, despite the fact that that is legal.

Anyway, now I'm getting lots of weird and wonderful webstart crashes and haven't started the game successfully; game starts, runs through most of the logging and then hangs before displaying menu screen, or crashes in other weird ways whilst loading the JARs. Hopefully this is just my copy of webstart being crap; does it work for anyone else?

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #39 - Posted 2005-02-19 13:55:55 »

on 1.5:
Exception in thread "javawsApplicationMain" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jogl in java.library.path

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #40 - Posted 2005-02-19 14:23:41 »

Turns out the problem was a bit of code that used to be a workaround for a problem with HTTP HEAD, but for some reason now instead of fixing the bug created a new one. Webstart, being crap, crashes if you return a HEAD response with an explicit content-length of 0, despite the fact that that is legal.

Anyway, now I'm getting lots of weird and wonderful webstart crashes and haven't started the game successfully; game starts, runs through most of the logging and then hangs before displaying menu screen, or crashes in other weird ways whilst loading the JARs. Hopefully this is just my copy of webstart being crap; does it work for anyone else?

I wanted to see the logs written by JWS but I'm not able to  find the log file. I'm using java5 01 and I've enable tracing in the advanced params. Where is the log file suppose to be?

In java 1.4.x it was possible to specify the location of the log file and now in version 5 it's no more possible Huh

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #41 - Posted 2005-02-19 14:31:50 »

Thanks. It seems webstart crashes bizarrely on a trailing slash on the codebase (arrggggh!), but with that fixed, I'm getting the same jogl error.

This almost makes me happy, because for the jogl error to happen, everything else in the JNLP is fine Smiley. But...obviously something is still wrong with the nativelib sections, and I can't see yet what it might be.

Any clues?

PS: there's nothing wrong with having an absolute href; thanks for the suggestion, but I'd alreayd tested that long ago - if that were broken in sun's webstart, then the whole JGF JNLP wouldn't work properly at all Sad.

Offline Hansdampf

Projects: 3

too offending?

« Reply #42 - Posted 2005-02-19 15:34:31 »

in Firefox I got this:

Throwable:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Value must be non-null
Line      Source File
47      In SQLColumnValue.java
94      ...called from SQLInsertRequest.java
48      ...called from CreateGameController.java
142      ...called from CMSControllersService.java
117      ...called from bExpeditionGeos.java
38      ...called from Geos.java
62      ...called from HttpPostControllerService.java
251      ...called from bAsynchronousService.java
330      ...called from bModule.java
534      ...called from Thread.java

then I tried with IE, an entry was created but no graphics were uploaded.
On the page where (I guess) to choose extra libs etc I couldn't identify any buttons cause the gui was cluttered. Then I tried again with Firefox (slightly different name for the game) but same error as above.
So I couldn't upload the jar, great work anyway!  Smiley

lots of sillystupid games: http://www.emaggame.com
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #43 - Posted 2005-02-19 16:23:30 »

in Firefox I got this:

Firefox is clearly a more-buggy version of Mozilla, Sad and to my surprise I've discovered a couple of fairly major bugs with Moz and CSS layouts with forms and scripts over the past few weeks, which MSIE doesn't have.

But > 40% of our traffic is moz browsers, so I'm definitely trying to workaround this.

then I tried with IE, an entry was created but no graphics were uploaded.

Sorry about that - the same problem that plagued Mighty Bubbles, but which I've just fixed! Smiley The problem was "any game with a space in the title" and was because I wasn't URL-decoding the title before looking it up in the DB. Oops!

On the page where (I guess) to choose extra libs etc I couldn't identify any buttons cause the gui was cluttered. Then I tried again with Firefox (slightly different name for the game) but same error as above.
So I couldn't upload the jar, great work anyway!  Smiley

Please have another go now. Although I'm trying to fix some other stuff so the server may go down for a few minutes every now and then.

If you go to the front page, you'll see your icon showing up properly now Smiley.

Offline Hansdampf

too offending?

« Reply #44 - Posted 2005-02-19 17:02:33 »

the cluttered page looks better now  Wink

...but I don't know where I can upload my jar.
(using IE)

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #45 - Posted 2005-02-19 18:20:44 »

the cluttered page looks better now  Wink

...but I don't know where I can upload my jar.
(using IE)

So long as you are logged-in, all you have to do is go to the page with your game on it. Go to the GAMES section, and either find the screenshot in the middle of the page, or go to "all games list" and find it there; the screenshot links directly to your game page.

Halfway down on the right is a link to create a new "alpha" release...

Offline Hansdampf

too offending?

« Reply #46 - Posted 2005-02-19 19:00:12 »

ok.
Firefox:
I accidently pressed the "add a normal jar file" twice, my jar was uploaded twice. Then tried to delete ONE of it, that resulted in total 0 bytes. Uploaded again, the byte count was twice of the jar. Marked both to delete, deleted them(?) and uploaded once again-> twice the file size.

IE: uploaded, but the jar filename was recognized as "c:\...\qfp.jar"
I will try again with a fresh account.

Offline Hansdampf

too offending?

« Reply #47 - Posted 2005-02-19 19:17:44 »

didn't work again because of the wrong filename for the jar.
(everything with IE)

hey, I have my game 3 time now on your site  Wink
or even better :5 times (1 normal and 2 doubles)

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #48 - Posted 2005-02-20 00:21:56 »

Ack. I hadn't got around to adding an idiot-proof method for preventing dupe uploads! Tongue. Thanks for testing it Wink.

I'll have a look at the DB and try and clean up the mess

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #49 - Posted 2005-02-20 01:30:51 »

hey, I have my game 3 time now on your site  Wink

Tell me which ones you want deleted; just the names is enough.

Offline Hansdampf

too offending?

« Reply #50 - Posted 2005-02-20 05:04:17 »

Delete all 3, I want to try with a fresh start.

Your delete function doesn't work -

"No files in current release! (or you do not have access to view the current release"

but when I upload again, I see the same file three times with different creation times.

Offline Hansdampf

too offending?

« Reply #51 - Posted 2005-02-20 05:51:27 »

btw, how do you detect which "public static void main()" to start if there are more than one?
(I have only one)

edit: should be the manifest  Tongue

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #52 - Posted 2005-02-20 11:54:53 »

btw, how do you detect which "public static void main()" to start if there are more than one?
(I have only one)

edit: should be the manifest  Tongue

Yes, and the manifest has to be the FIRST file in the list in the JNLP (which is currently just taken as the order in which you uploaded the files to the DB). This is not my requirement, but webstarts!

No, there is no reason why it should be that way, other than that the people who wrote the client / spec were being a bit lazy.

At some point in the future, I'll have to add a button for you to explicitly mark the "main" JAR so that it is always output first in the list. For now, though, you need to include your manifest in every jar (which, actually, is not a bad idea anyway)

EDIT: what I meant was that the only way to be absolutely sure and not have to worry about order ... is to include your manifest in every jar.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #53 - Posted 2005-02-20 13:28:57 »

Delete all 3, I want to try with a fresh start.

Done.

Offline Hansdampf

too offending?

« Reply #54 - Posted 2005-02-20 14:15:16 »

Firefox: (tried 2 times)

Throwable:java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Value must be non-null
Line      Source File
47      In SQLColumnValue.java
94      ...called from SQLInsertRequest.java
50      ...called from CreateGameController.java

IE (two times, too)

Throwable:java.sql.SQLException: Column not found message from server: "Unknown column 'requiresallpermissions' in 'field list'" GE-SQL: with SQL text = INSERT INTO games(name, description_sentence, description_paragraphs, webpage, requiresallpermissions, created) VALUES ("Quest_for_Peace", "Kill 'em all !", "
if there is one man standing - then shall be peace
"
, "http://www.gutenachtkopf.de", 1, "2005-02-20 18:07:48.594")

Line      Source File        
318      In SQLService.java        
54      ...called from CreateGameController.java        

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #55 - Posted 2005-02-20 14:57:53 »

Firefox: (tried 2 times)

...because it doesn't submit empty form elements, as per the spec.

This is a famous bug with MSIE that the lazy ****-****ers @ MS have never bothered fixing.

IE (two times, too)

This was a mistake of mine - I removed an SQL table column from the schema, but because there's no compile-time checking of SQL, I forgot to check the source everywhere and remove references!

Anyway, both fixed. Thanks for the report Smiley.

Offline Hansdampf

too offending?

« Reply #56 - Posted 2005-02-20 15:15:06 »

HOOOORAY!

IE: old problem with jar file name
Firefox: uploaded (shitty unsigned) version, deleted it again, uploaded signed one AND IT WORKS!   Cheesy

but shows wrong size (I couldn't delete the unsigned one)

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #57 - Posted 2005-02-22 17:46:19 »

Please could some more people try this? Just one or two more. From the efforts of Hansdampf, AnalogKid, kevglass etc I think we've pretty much got all the bugs ironed out (bar a possible one still lurking in MSIE? Works for me, in IE6, so I'm not sure about that).

I'll try and get an easier to use system setup for native libraries but that could take many days. In the meantime, I'd like to know if we can put out announcements encouraging everyone to upload games now...or if we've still got some teething problems here.

Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

« Reply #58 - Posted 2005-02-22 19:55:21 »

I'd like to give another try but the hood of Mighty Bubbles is open and the engine is disasembled for LWJGL migration. I'll try to find time this evening with the Java2D version.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #59 - Posted 2005-02-22 22:25:46 »

When I find the time, I'll fix Cosmic Trip for java 1.5 and give it a try.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (13 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (34 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org