Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (601)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  A very premature posting of my game  (Read 2394 times)
Offline devon

Senior Newbie

Projects: 1

« Posted 2005-02-10 14:41:05 »

This is really quite a ways away from being playable (or fun to play anyways), but I just wanted to share some screen shots of what I'm working on...so when I ask silly questions you'll know I'm the dork working on the guitarist game.  I haven't posted much, but I read these forums pretty religiously and have gotten so much help out of them...thank you guys.  I haven't touched the code in a few months now Sad because I've been working on graphics too much.  So far I only have two characters and two levels...you can walk around, jump, and attack thin air.

Who knows, maybe in a year or so I'll be able to post a webstart link.  In all seriousness though, thanks to the guys on here that take their time to answer everyone's questions!
Offline Morre

JGO Knight

Medals: 2
Projects: 10

I'm Dragonene on IRC.

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-02-10 14:46:09 »

I think it's looking pretty good. At least the graphics are great - wouldn't know about the gameplay, because you haven't released it.

Offline luisoft

JGO Coder

Projects: 6

Java games rock!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-02-10 14:48:32 »

really nice screenshots! Wink What API  are u using? What program did you use for the 3D models? They are very nice!
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline devon

Senior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-02-10 18:05:33 »

really nice screenshots! Wink What API  are u using? What program did you use for the 3D models? They are very nice!

Thanks for the feedback.  So far I've only been using Java2D...Xalan/Xerces for XML (which I might drop cause the game is not going to be all that massive and it seems overkill).  I've been using 3dsMax/CStudio for all my modeling/animation, then rendering tiles and sprites.
Offline weston

Junior Devvie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-02-10 18:36:13 »

umm, java2D? I'm assuming the contents of those screenshots weren't created by software rendering, but then again I guess I havn't seen a framerate... Can you give more information on how your doing the rendering, or is it not actually 3D?

ok.. I looked at it some more and it seems like the graphics are too nice to be real time Tongue are those just 3dsmax renders? looks interesting.

for(int i = 1; i > 0; i++)
{
System.out.println(i+" cups of java downed");
}
Offline devon

Senior Newbie

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-02-10 21:13:51 »

umm, java2D? I'm assuming the contents of those screenshots weren't created by software rendering, but then again I guess I havn't seen a framerate... Can you give more information on how your doing the rendering, or is it not actually 3D?

There's no 3D in the game.  The backgrounds are just 256x256 jpeg tile maps...the characters/projectiles are .png images.  I just use 3ds max to make the tiles and sprites.  I don't know exact framerates yet...it runs pretty smooth walking around, but slows down a bit with projectiles...so I probably will have to dumb down the graphics a little (or figure out why my resource management's slowing down the framerate.)  This is still a long ways away from being a full game though.  I just thought I'd share what I was working on.
Offline cyberyoyo

Junior Devvie

Java games funk

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-02-10 23:32:13 »

Hey that looks fun, I'd like to play that game. Just make sure the gameplay isn't boring and the screens aren't a succession of empty room.
I could have sworn the characters were from Poser , the graphics look really good and crispy. Oh and KFC might sue you for their logo lol,(but I like the idea).
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print