Games in Showcase (580)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (500)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  ignore  |  Print  
  Survivor - first alpha!  (Read 17069 times)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #60 - Posted 2004-06-06 19:28:56 »

DP: You are so dead now...

Try it now and you'll find the AI's back in again. RUN, MORTAL, RUN!

(You should now cease contempt at me for the placeholder AI, and instead direct your renewed curses as to the evilness of the new AI towards Dave Blake)

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 85
Projects: 25

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #61 - Posted 2004-06-06 19:55:47 »

Just uploaded new exiciting skins, some new changes to sprites and a fix to the walking through walls bug that some of you guys have reported.

Thanks again for keeping up the testing (especially with the big downloads we're getting to now).

Cheers,

Kev

Offline moonpxi

Senior Newbie

Java games rock indeed!!!

« Reply #62 - Posted 2004-06-06 20:35:02 »

ARGH!! I've played it moments after being posted, and it was quite easy, but getting interesting!! Now it is all madness!!!

All in all, I think it's a pretty fun game, and the controls are really interesting. However, I think it would be best to map the "x" key to "s", as it would be easier to shoot down.

Another point is that it's possible to slow enemies down by "forcing" them to get stuck in corners.

The worst nightmare for the player is not when there are a crowd coming from one direction, but from coming from ALL directions!!! It is run and hit then...

Moon Pxi, a NerdCorper
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #63 - Posted 2004-06-06 20:40:41 »

ARGH!! I've played it moments after being posted, and it was quite easy, but getting interesting!! Now it is all madness!!!

Welcome to Survivor! Grin

All in all, I think it's a pretty fun game, and the controls are really interesting. However, I think it would be best to map the "x" key to "s", as it would be easier to shoot down.

From the main menu there is now a controls menu, where you can redefine any/all keys Wink

The worst nightmare for the player is not when there are a crowd coming from one direction, but from coming from ALL directions!!! It is run and hit then...

...hence my tip on the website: find a weak-spot in the crowd, and try and punch a hole 5 seconds before you need it,  then run through it.

We might need to speed up the player a bit to make this more effective; I think the players are all perhaps a little slow at the moment.

Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #64 - Posted 2004-06-06 21:32:45 »

Just a thought for the future.

What about making movment faster when your not shooting at the same time.

Would then make you have to decied if running was the best thing to do rather than always shooting.

Dan.
Offline DanK

Javver games rock yawel!

« Reply #65 - Posted 2004-06-06 22:31:32 »

After going from the main hall to the garden I was placed outside of the level area and naturally couldn't get in. (I waited until I died and it started me in the level area).

Next I went up a room and then into a secret room, where one of the enemies appeared outside of the level area... I gave up (kinda antsy right now having just got my demo up and I'm having a hard time sitting still/being patient hehe). I like the mouse controlled shooting, I think I'd prefer the asdw keys for movement as they are more popular these days with most games and less likely to hit the keyboard limit that is common for the arrow keys, I realize I can change them but maybe they should by default work as the arrow keys (kind of a primary and secondary keyset), this is probably more a suggestion for after the contest than before since changing your keyset to allow two entries per actino might be more work than it's worth right now.

Offline TheBohemian

Java will rule them all!

« Reply #66 - Posted 2004-06-06 22:39:00 »

hey blah³, kev: really nice game!!!

runs fine on Amd Athlon XP2000+/ATI Radeon 9800XT (fglrx)/Gentoo Linux - 2.6.5/XFree 4.3 Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

and now a note on this:  "Every time you complete a level, that fact is saved to disk in your home (user) directory"

no problem with the semantics but with the technique: The JNLP API defines a PersistenceService. With that you can save application data without polluting my ${user.home} Wink

and @cas: same goes for Alien Flux! Smiley

cya

TheBohemian

---------------------------------------
my favorite OS: http://jnode.sf.net
Java 1.5 -> 1.4 converter: http://retroweaver.sf.net
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #67 - Posted 2004-06-06 22:49:19 »

and now a note on this:  "Every time you complete a level, that fact is saved to disk in your home (user) directory"

Is this different from the java.util.prefs api? Sorry, I may have described what we're doing wrong ( I didn't code it Wink)

They added the Preferences API for this kind of thing, that works for all java apps (not just JNLP) and uses windows registry or linux home directory as appropriate (or more clever things for system-wide settings).

If the thing you describe also works outside of webstart, then we could use it (after the compo) but if not, we probably won't. This game would be impossible to develop and test if we couldn't run it from JAR's without webstart...(although we might just put in all the effort to make a system that tries one then falls back to the other, if that's possible).

Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #68 - Posted 2004-06-06 22:56:03 »

that can't be good, crashes after loading sequence  :-/

The console is up, but it goes away too fast for me to copy/paste anything.

However, this error occurs before the initial menu comes along:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: survivor.renderer.Renderer.getCanvasPeer()Lcom/xith3d/render/CanvasPeer;

at survivor.game.Game.<init>(Game.java:159)

at survivor.game.Game.<clinit>(Game.java:49)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.continueLaunch(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleApplicationDesc(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

And yes, ive tried emptying the jws cache!

Friends don't let friends make MMORPGs.

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #69 - Posted 2004-06-06 23:05:45 »

that can't be good, crashes after loading sequence  :-/

Um, kev might be in the middle of updating the webstart.

If not: OS, processor, graphics card please.

NOTE: As of a few hours ago I started getting the webstart crash EVERY SINGLE TIME on me - killing the entire JVM. If I download all the JAR's and run locally, no problem.

Since these are JVM crashes, it could be that I've got a slightly older JOGL etc and Kev has started using a slightly newer build (or ditto for Xith3D) and the JOGL folks have introduced a nasty regression bug. Just before we submit for the compo! Sad

EDIT: looking at file times, one of the core JAR's was last updated at 11:51 pm. so maybe you have a half-corrupted file (yes, webstart is poor in this sense, seems to have problems with atomicity)

EDIT2: ...GMT/BST Wink i.e. about 5-10 minuts before this edit

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #70 - Posted 2004-06-06 23:09:00 »

Yep, was in the middle, then screwed it up, should be fine now.

The error you got was directly related to the update.

Kev

Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #71 - Posted 2004-06-06 23:10:13 »

XP Pro, P4 2.6Ghz, Radeon 9200. Its now officially the 7th in the UK  Cheesy.

EDIT: this game is getting wayyy too unchallenging Tongue, just clocked it yet again, temple that is, next step, the next level!  Grin

EDIT 2: If you are using md2 rather than sprites (which looks like it to be honest), why not just make this into a fully fledged 3d game? just change the camera perspective. Or is that not what you want?

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #72 - Posted 2004-06-06 23:31:24 »

DP: I'm afraid since this is for the competition and we are only entering one level we can't make it much harder. Be patient; wait for us to release more levels Smiley. ( I don't suppose you have any ideas of your own for new levels that would be sufficiently hard? "DP's super-hard ironman level pack" Wink).

There are some changes to the AI and level now that might make it a bit more challenging for you.

However, we've basically tried to integrate too much all in the last 24 hours, and the balance is no longer there (and I'm hampered in balance-testing by a recurring JVM crash that now looks like it might be because of the sound system)

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #73 - Posted 2004-06-06 23:33:21 »

EDIT 2: If you are using md2 rather than sprites (which looks like it to be honest), why not just make this into a fully fledged 3d game? just change the camera perspective. Or is that not what you want?

The original game design doc aims for 3 differnet cameras, and to spend 4 weeks trying out different combinations for fun and effectiveness.

But then 4 weeks in we lost our entire renderer and had to start again from scratch, so...lack of time I'm afraid.

Offline TheBohemian

Java will rule them all!

« Reply #74 - Posted 2004-06-06 23:48:25 »

uh, oh sorry. I wasn't aware of java.util.prefs.
Funny: Just today I was surfin jcp.org for fun and wondered where the result of JSR-10 (Preferences API) are ...  

but on to the game: call me addicted!
Its fun, it kills me (have to sleep), it kills my mouse (obviously).

btw. the original smash tv supported a 2 player mode. how about that (of course AFTER the compo)?
with jinput linux has support for multiple separate mice ...

cya

TheBohemian

---------------------------------------
my favorite OS: http://jnode.sf.net
Java 1.5 -> 1.4 converter: http://retroweaver.sf.net
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #75 - Posted 2004-06-07 00:25:59 »

One current plan for after the compo, sleeeeep!

New version uploaded, it should give a good performance kick.

Blah, if you think it might be the sound system, try turning the sound off?

I'm not sure what I'm doing for the future actually, got Mini Adventure to be getting on with too Smiley

Kev

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #76 - Posted 2004-06-07 00:46:04 »

btw. the original smash tv supported a 2 player mode. how about that (of course AFTER the compo)?

I'm itching to plug it in to a GrexEngine server...

But, as Kev said, we don't know what's going to happen after the competition. We really came together just for the short-term (and Kev bravely stepped in half-way through, setting himself up for 4 weeks of crunch-time!) but we all would love to carry on with survivor afterwards (in a perfect world, where we had infinite free time).

with jinput linux has support for multiple separate mice ...

Now,  that would be mental!

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #77 - Posted 2004-06-07 01:08:39 »

PS: There is a cheat mode.

And no, I'm not giving you any clues Wink.

And I've just noticed that the debug mode is still in there too (groan) which I expect several people have discovered by now (Kev: remember that thing we did when there were no monsters? Seems to be still in my copy of survivor-game/renderer.jar (although maybe I've just accidentally used an old copy))

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

pixels! :x

« Reply #78 - Posted 2004-06-07 01:23:33 »

Can't change fov in both directions. The other direction should be the... '=' key... duh. Well, there is no '=' key on a german keyboard (it's '0'+shift and that doesn't work).

So what about additional binds on pgup, pgdn, pos1 and end? :>

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #79 - Posted 2004-06-07 01:32:36 »

I have severe performance issues on Mac OS X.  The FPS shows about 170, yet it takes several seconds for a keypress to register and change the current menu selection.

yet in the game the movement keys seem to work well.

Though there are massive pauses moving from room to room and I die instantly and an thrown back to the loading screen.

Play is VERY jerky - though movement when nothing is around is smooth, with enemies it is impossible to control.

Entering the name for highscores has the same many seconds to recognize a keypress problem.   Martian Madness had this problem at one point.. could it be the same issue?

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #80 - Posted 2004-06-07 06:10:03 »

It is the same issue, (large chunks of the same code). It seems to be to do with the use of texture by reference (i.e. GUI overlays) in Xith.

I'm afraid I never got a really good answer from the guys on this one. I reakon I'll be updating Survivor with a bespoke overlay system after the contest submittal.

Cheers for the report as always SW,

Kev

Offline DanK

Javver games rock yawel!

« Reply #81 - Posted 2004-06-07 06:21:57 »

I have the same issue with the menu's being super slow, even though it shows high fps (and the game itself runs fine including the keyboard controls).

Offline deepFlame

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #82 - Posted 2004-06-07 08:01:51 »

I haven't read the whole thread. Hope this wasn't mentioned before...

I had a problem with entering a new room. I was going into the new room and the name of the room was displayed as normal. But I didn't go right into it and turned around into the opposit direction. So I could walk around the room I should be in and could walk through walls and stuff but could not get into the room the game thought I should be in.
Hope you understand my point.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 282
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #83 - Posted 2004-06-07 09:10:49 »

I can't get consistently smooth gameplay. It periodically speeds up by a factor of 2 and then slows down again. The frame rate never drops below 70fps, and occasionally goes as high as 120fps. I surmise therefore that it's something to do with a hires timer going awry, or its dependent code.

Cas Smiley

Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #84 - Posted 2004-06-07 10:13:00 »

constant 270 FPS from JOGL, thats surprising. The sound did cause me trouble, it kept on cutting up every 2 minutes or so, with a very loud BANG!, then it goes away, 15 secs later its back to normal.

Blah^3, I have many ideas for harder levels, if you want, i could make some, just send me a message about where to download the editor from....etc and il send you the levels. How does that sound?

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #85 - Posted 2004-06-07 10:51:14 »

There is a bug when entering the 'secret passage' area - if you walk upward as soon you enter the area (back into the door), you can get outside the bounds of the level!

Duno if you can do it in other areas (or infact any area).

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #86 - Posted 2004-06-07 11:03:22 »

Sound is pretty terrible at the moment; sorry, but I was testing some new sounds. Not sure if we will use them or not yet. I suggest turning it off from the main menu Smiley.

SWP: the OS X situation is miserable Sad. But you know what our main alternative is Wink (LWJGL)

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #87 - Posted 2004-06-07 11:07:56 »

Isn't LWJGL broken on OSX?

Kev

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #88 - Posted 2004-06-07 11:11:59 »

exactly Tongue

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 282
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #89 - Posted 2004-06-07 12:08:34 »

Only coz no bugger has helped us solve the webstart issue Sad (Swing grabs input from us)

Cas Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (50 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (46 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (62 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (44 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (60 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (84 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (142 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (242 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (201 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (208 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org