Hey all, I wrote "the other" java entry for Ludum Dare, its a 2d sidescroller in a AWT Applet. You can find it on line at:http://www.geocities.com/nonnus29/unionjack/test.htm
I scroll a 400x400 display and I've got some animated sprites, rudimentary particle effects and HUD so you can select your weapon. The Bazooka isn't implemented and neither is the boss. I utilized the timer thread code posted on the old forums by theLorax (I think). All of my objects are created at start up and none of them go out of scope till stop() so there are no gc issues.
I am amazed at the wildly different behavior this applet demonstrates on different OS/browser/JRE configurations. I've recieved reports of 0-3 fps all the way to 50 (its "locked" at 50). On win2000 its the worst with terrible flickering and sprites not being drawn at all on IE 5.5 (I assume with ms vm).
This was my attempt to write a game for the lowest common denominator and I'm pretty disillusioned with the results.