Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (532)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Puppygames New Website & Dudester for Mac OS X  (Read 6910 times)
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 342
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #30 - Posted 2004-12-09 10:47:08 »

Gamelizard is already far bigger site than Puppygames is! Perhaps you want to put our games on your site as an affiliate? It's really easy and costs you zero bandwidth. All you need is the JNLP file.

I can't get your applets to run by the way:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Width (-1) and height (-1) cannot be <= 0
      at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknown Source)
      at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsConfig.createCompatibleImage(Unknown Source)
      at com.gamelizard.util.a.a(SourceFile:268)
      at com.gamelizard.util.a.a(SourceFile:314)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.a(SourceFile:146)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.g(SourceFile:115)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.init(SourceFile:87)
      at com.opera.PluginPanel.run(PluginPanel.java:441)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.lang.NullPointerException: Image at: http://www.gamelizard.com/bin/com/gamelizard/util/com/gamelizard/util/outOfFocus.png
     at com.gamelizard.util.a.a(SourceFile:326)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.a(SourceFile:146)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.g(SourceFile:115)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.init(SourceFile:87)
      at com.opera.PluginPanel.run(PluginPanel.java:441)

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #31 - Posted 2004-12-09 11:07:28 »

I can't get your applets to run by the way:

LOL. (assuming it's the same thing, and not just something sharing the same error message) I logged this with Sun last year; they accepted the bug in theory, but clearly not fixed yet.

I'm so glad I'm not the only poor bastard who got bitten by it.

It's a non-deterministic bug with the initialization of applets (especially JApplet; maybe ONLY japplet? Can't remember) on 1.4 and above. The best I did was get it to happen 3 times in 4 on startup. The least I've seen is one time in 20.

NB: just one more reason NEVER TO WRITE APPLETS (Sun's JVM can't / won't run them properly).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #32 - Posted 2004-12-09 14:28:27 »

I'm thinking all it needs is this little bit 'o code:
Image image = Toolkit.loadImage(getClass().getResource("/myimage.png"));

while(image.getWidth() < 0)
{
    try{Thread.sleep(100);} catch(Exception e) {}
}

//Do "Stuff" with the image

Or perhaps the problem is merely that

http://www.gamelizard.com/bin/com/gamelizard/util/com/gamelizard/util/outOfFocus.png  

should be

http://www.gamelizard.com/bin/com/gamelizard/util/outOfFocus.png

Grin

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #33 - Posted 2004-12-10 03:49:14 »

wow, your second guess was correct.  It was using the wrong path... I wonder why that doesn't happen always?  Seems strange that it should construct paths differently under different situations.  Either way, I just changed the code so that it'll try the standard way, and if that fails, it'll try another way.  Let me know if it works now please!

Oh... and I had no idea GameLizard was bigger than Puppy Games!  You seem to be a lot more professional than I am and your quality is sure higher!  But as for linking to your games... I'll have to think about it.  Since right now the only games are just mine, I kinda like being "different" from games sites elsewhere in that I don't just link to crap on everyone else's sites.  However, considering that none of those sites of such low quality have your games, and that your games are very cool, I'd probably be willing to do that!  Let me think about it a little longer Smiley

EDIT:  Hmmm... second thought... do you mean GameLizard is bigger because it has more games, or more people coming in?  I still feel you're in a better place how you have things since you have a few GREAT games, whereas I have one I think is good and just a few others that are just simple and fun and addictive, with the rest being so-so.

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #34 - Posted 2004-12-10 09:16:31 »

Oh... and I had no idea GameLizard was bigger than Puppy Games!  You seem to be a lot more professional than I am and your quality is sure higher!  But as for linking to your games... I'll have to think about it.  Since right now the only games are just mine, I kinda like being "different" from games sites elsewhere in that I don't just link to crap on everyone else's sites.  However, considering that none of those sites of such low quality have your games, and that your games are very cool, I'd probably be willing to do that!  Let me think about it a little longer  

EDIT:  Hmmm... second thought... do you mean GameLizard is bigger because it has more games, or more people coming in?  I still feel you're in a better place how you have things since you have a few GREAT games, whereas I have one I think is good and just a few others that are just simple and fun and addictive, with the rest being so-so.

You should think more of yourselves than that! We're tiny minnows. The only prescence we have in the universe really is on the Javagaming.org forums. No-one else knows who we are, and generally when they find out, our games are too whacked for them to understand or enjoy.

I suspect Gamelizard gets more traffic, because it's got more games, and those games are more accessible.

Cas Smiley

Offline Middy

Java games rock!

« Reply #35 - Posted 2004-12-10 11:55:11 »

princec great site I was hooked at puppy invaders applet at once and it worked perfectly.

I was using firefox on a 800MHZ maptop and a shitty gfx card

When do I get my makeMyGameAsILike() extension?
Offline Malohkan

« Reply #36 - Posted 2004-12-10 15:37:45 »

Wow I'm flattered! Smiley  I do still wonder though why my forums are dead Wink  I get about 80+ unique visitors a day.

GameLizard.com
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #37 - Posted 2004-12-10 17:13:48 »

I hardly get any forum visitors either really. The existing lot were mainly LWJGL users/developers and we've moved them onto another forum now.

Cas Smiley

Offline Malohkan

« Reply #38 - Posted 2004-12-10 17:37:57 »

ahh I see.  So do my Applets work for you now?

GameLizard.com
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #39 - Posted 2004-12-10 17:45:12 »

IMHO there are far too many forums on the web for me to really give a monkey's each time I see a new one. I just think "yeah, whatever". These days it requires a huge amount of value for me to even be bothered to register on a new forum - every moron and his dog (not directed at anyone here; but most of the forums do seem to be run by people with nothing better to do with their lives) wants you to "register" so they can sell your email address and /or nag you for the rest of all time (Sun, bow your head in shame. Compulsory registration to be *allowed* to submit bug-reports? F*** that; you ought to be *paying* people to do it for you in the first place...).

I may be extreme in the extent to which I'm fed up with them, but to be honest I expect there are many many more people out there who've simply got bored of seeing "yet another forum".

This is part of why I've not been keen to get forums onto JGF. My benchmark is: what's the point? Especially if registration is required rather than optional. I always post on Gamedev.net as "anonymous poster" because their cookie handling is broken and I couldn't care less if people "know my name" when I post; it's less hassle just to type it as a sig at the end of each email.

Of course, JGF is moving towards "registration required for most things" Grin. But I'm being very careful to keep *as much as possible* working with zero registration. For things like submitting a new game you will be forced to be logged in, mainly so that the system can automatically grant you exclusive admin access to your own game, and stuff like that.

With per-game forums, the structure will be that you CAN post without logging in - but if you do, the developer of the game (and, in fact, a lot of other people) will have unpoliced access to delete your posts to their heart's content (so they can instantly delete spam etc). If you want a contentious comment to stick around, you need to sacrifice your anonymity and be logged in Smiley.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #40 - Posted 2004-12-10 21:45:05 »

What he said. JGF had better be bloody ready soon! I need somewhere I can get some more exposure on.

Applets still doing:
      at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknown Source)
      at sun.awt.Win32GraphicsConfig.createCompatibleImage(Unknown Source)
      at com.gamelizard.util.a.a(SourceFile:268)
      at com.gamelizard.util.a.a(SourceFile:314)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.e(SourceFile:344)
      at com.gamelizard.util.GLApplet.run(SourceFile:514)
image: background.jpg

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #41 - Posted 2004-12-10 22:26:52 »

What he said. JGF had better be bloody ready soon!

I'm trying, I promise :/. I've been working on automatically self-fixing SQL Table schemas today, and wondering why the hell Sun made JDBC such a waste of time, when it *could* have been a near-perfect DB abstraction layer. In the end, all it truly provides is raw SQL queries (even it's metadata facilities are: incomplete, don't include all the stuff in the SQL specs (I think; surely there's an ENUM type in core SQL? There isn't in JDBC...), and don't work unless you can make certain guarantees on your data, which you often can't).

I thought that 1 hour of coding would save up to an hour a week on time spent keeping 100+ table schemas in synch between local and test server; 10 hours later, I still haven't finished beating JDBC + MySQL into shape. Sob. Almost there, though...

Offline Malohkan

« Reply #42 - Posted 2004-12-11 00:16:35 »

argh.... I changed the error handling a bit so hopefully the next stack trace it sends to my db will be a bit more informative, but I still can't figure out what the problem might be.  Since I log every error though, I can say for certain that you're the first person to ever have this problem Smiley  Makes me think you've got some weird Java settings that won't allow it to find files...

GameLizard.com
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #43 - Posted 2004-12-11 11:00:30 »

Bog standard Opera 7.54 with JRE 1.5.0 on XP SP 2. FWIW, I can't actually see any graphics in Puppy Invaders on my own bleedin' site either Smiley Which is just as well or I'd waste hours every day.

Cas Smiley

Offline Malohkan

« Reply #44 - Posted 2004-12-12 02:58:43 »

hmmm perhaps it's an Opera issue...  maybe you even have a broken build.  I had over 3300 hits last month from Opera users, but none of them, not even from other months have reported that error.  Perhaps you need to reinstall!  That might fix your problems.

GameLizard.com
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #45 - Posted 2004-12-12 11:31:33 »

I have a feeling it's actually Java that's broken. More and more I'm coming to realise that 1.5 is one of the most bug-tastic releases of Java yet.

Cas Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

pixels! :x

« Reply #46 - Posted 2004-12-12 11:44:05 »

The applet works fine here with 1.5 (and firefox). Only the sounds are missing. IIRC opera comes optionally with it's own java vm... maybe you're using that one?

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Middy

Java games rock!

« Reply #47 - Posted 2004-12-12 13:59:09 »

yeah I have trouble with java 1.5 and sounds too

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #48 - Posted 2004-12-12 14:18:14 »

No, I always download without a JVM and let opera find my system JVM instead.

In other news: I've just made a huge change to Super Dudester to make it more accessible. Try it out and see what you think. It's a lot more conventional now but the game is essentially the same. There's just less fighting with the controls...

Cas Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #49 - Posted 2004-12-12 14:23:55 »

yeah I have trouble with java 1.5 and sounds too

Btw it's fixable... see Yuri's workaround here:
http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=Sound;action=display;num=1096703204

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #50 - Posted 2004-12-12 15:26:00 »

Shooting up all the time(?)... and hud on top. Works, but the eye level is pretty odd now. It would be easier if it would shoot in the opposite direction of the dude (relative to the eye).

Shooting up is generally a good idea if the screen/playing field is also vertical, which is not the case... uhm... so what about using a semi robotron ish control scheme (I know I know... let me explain Wink)... left mouse button=fire left and right mouse button=fire right. It's very simple to grasp and yet quite effective (esp in those levels where the enemys coming from all sides).

On a side note...

http://www.puppygames.net/downloads/superdudester/superdudester_icon_128.gif

That icon is 128x128.

A 64x64 icon is shown during download; in the Application Manager and in desktop shortcuts a 32x32 icon is used. Java Web Start automatically resizes an icon to the appropriate size.

Since a fast pixel repeat algo is used (for no good reason), using a 128x128 image makes no sense. I just use a 32x32 icon, because imo it's more imporant that the desktop icon and the application icon within javaws looks good (because the user looks longer at those).

http://www.puppygames.net/downloads/alienflux/alienflux_icon_128.gif

The file doesn't exist.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #51 - Posted 2004-12-12 18:56:01 »

Very simple to grasp... unless you're over 30, or a superior being like a Mac user and therefore unable to cope with more than one finger at a time Sad So upwards it is! (BTW, have you played Ammo Boy? Classic action! I love that game. Shame it's in shitty slow Flash)

No Flux icon yet - Chaz'll get on to it shortly. Maybe you can hack one up?

The reason we use 128x128 is for MacOS X... which, you guessed it, uses 128. I'm astounded that the image is scaled down using such a shitty algorithm. Can we specify OS-specific icons?

Cas Smiley

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #52 - Posted 2004-12-12 20:19:24 »

It's a lot more conventional now but the game is essentially the same. There's just less fighting with the controls...
There's no fighting at all, because it tells me that my demo has expired... Cry
Anyway, the bug with the mouse pointer's wrong offset seems to be gone (i've downloaded the webstart version from the frontpage of puppygames). Did you change anything or did my driver update from Catalyst 4.12b1 to 4.12b2 helped!?

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #53 - Posted 2004-12-12 21:12:25 »

May have been a bit of both... your driver was for some reason not allowing an 800x600 screen mode, and the bit of code I had to draw the mouse forgot to scale the position it drew the mouse in to the actual window size.

Cas Smiley

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #54 - Posted 2004-12-13 09:45:04 »

>Very simple to grasp... unless you're over 30, or a
>superior being like a Mac user and therefore unable to
>cope with more than one finger at a time Sad So upwards it
>is! (BTW, have you played Ammo Boy? Classic action! I
>love that game. Shame it's in shitty slow Flash)

Point taken. Well, if it's just me. Robotron-ish it is! Grin

Ammo Boy? Doesn't ring a bell...

http://www.brainblock.com/ammoboy.asp

Ah yea... uhm... yes, shame it's shitty flash. The timing is horrible (speed varies all the time... fast/slow/fast/slow... I hate that).

>Maybe you can hack one up?

I asked you for some graphics 2 days ago Tongue. Sure I could convert those jimages some way or another, but my first guess is it's too much work.

>The reason we use 128x128 is for MacOS X

Oh. Never thought about that.

>Can we specify OS-specific icons?

I'm afraid it's not possible right now. I actually rechecked the 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 docs, but their icon stuff is the same. It would be great if they would just support ico files. They can contain several images in several sizes and bitdepths, but I guess that would be too easy Roll Eyes

>and the bit of code I had to draw the mouse forgot to
>scale the position it drew the mouse in to the actual
>window size.

I never thought about something like that, but I guess it's a good idea.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Middy

Java games rock!

« Reply #55 - Posted 2004-12-17 07:14:28 »

princec.... A request, give me a break with that space invader game. Like a life or two. Also where is highscore?  Smiley

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #56 - Posted 2004-12-17 07:54:41 »

Coming in Easter in the evil form of Puppy Invaders Deluxe Smiley

And on a related note, the hiscore table is back up on Puppygames. I need some Dudester scores in there!

Cas Smiley

Offline Malohkan

« Reply #57 - Posted 2004-12-18 04:55:29 »

Oh bahh I forgot to realize... the sounds are not included in the tiny version of Rimscape.  It's not that they don't work, it's that they don't exist there Wink

GameLizard.com
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (16 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (16 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (43 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (40 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (32 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (36 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (51 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (50 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org