News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Fallout 3  (Read 3280 times)
Offline zingbat

Java games rock!

« Posted 2004-07-15 14:21:48 »

Coming from an old classic claimed to be the best rpg ever made, the new F3 is going to be developed Bethsoft.

So what you think of it ? Will Bethsoft be able to pull. Considering differences between Fallout old gamesand Bethsoft games.
Offline digitprop

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-07-16 06:12:28 »

Ah, another fallout fan! I was quite surprised about the news - I doubt that Bethesda can exploit the full value of the license. Also, I think that the commercial potential of the license is rather limited (mind you, Fallout 1/2 were GREAT games, but the audience seems to be small, and the franchise is much more suited for the (smaller) PC market than the console market). That considered, I wonder about Bethesda's strategy.

From a commercial point of view, the best thing to do would probably be to invest as little money as possible, ripping of the fanbase with a cheap Fallout-wanna-be clone, based on Bethesda's technology; then walk away from the license, never touching it again.

This is of course not in any way something I would be happy about, to say the least.

But even if Bethesda has the best of intentions, I think it will be very hard for a different developer to meet the exact tone and feel of the original Fallouts. And considering the ferocious fan base, any deviations from the original theme - however slight - will spoil the game for the fans.

What I am curious about, though, is what Brian Fargo is going to do with the Wasteland license...

M. Fischer . www.digitprop.com
Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-07-16 13:38:01 »

I have a lot of faith in Bethsoft on account of them having been responsible for two of my absolute favourite games ever- they can certainly do RPG and they can certainly do open-ended.

I have heard concerns that Fallout 3 would prove to be a post-apocalyptic Morrowind which doesn't sound that likely to me but given that my favourite thing about the original Fallout series was the setting and the humour of the conversations I would be quite happy with that if it was done well ( no-one has been heard to complain about the original Deus Ex, which was not 100 miles away from this) I can't honestly say I care one way or another about real-time vs turn based combat, but I do really hope they maintain the atmosphere of the original games to some degree.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline zingbat

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-07-16 14:51:45 »

My view is that Bethesda will make a mix of FPS+RPG game like DeusEx or their own rpg games. Im affraid that only a few people would buy an exact replica of Fallout (turn-base, isometric). Turn-base is good for the consoles because its hard to control a FPS with a console controler. But for the PC market they would have to follow a different strategy. I think they would benefit on keeping turn-base at least for the consoles.
Offline digitprop

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-07-16 16:48:26 »

Speaking of atmosphere, I think a FP perspective does not go well with the Fallout theme.  In general, I think the importance of 3D immersion is far overestimated in RPGs.

It's good for shooters, but RPGs are essentially mind games and actually benefit from a certain abstraction. It's no coincidence that the highlights of the genre have had very simple graphics (e.g. - again - Wasteland).

M. Fischer . www.digitprop.com
Offline zingbat

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-07-16 21:55:39 »

What I am curious about, though, is what Brian Fargo is going to do with the Wasteland license...

I didnt knew there was a game preceding Fallout. The old reviews speack well of the Wastelands. Its available in the underdogs with the original manual in pdf. Maybe ill give it a try.

So Brian Fargo owns the Wastelands license ? Probably he is going to do the same thing that the other guy (dont remenber his name) is doing with Bards Tale. We will be flooded with post-apocaliptic rpgs. Grin

It's good for shooters, but RPGs are essentially mind games and actually benefit from a certain abstraction. It's no coincidence that the highlights of the genre have had very simple graphics (e.g. - again - Wasteland).

I dont know about that. Morrowind was 1st person/3rd person mix and it didnt work bad at all. 3rd person is good for close combat while 1st person is better for targeting and shooting.

Then in many old games like the Bards Tale (and Wastelands ? ) , who were pure turn-base fun, it was never possible to see the team in combat, however we cant realy speak about perspective in non 3d games. The fact is that we didnt see the team so it worked like if we were playing an in-your-face turn-base rpg.  
Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-07-22 12:27:56 »

In general, I think the importance of 3D immersion is far overestimated in RPGs.

I don't know if it's importance is overestimated, but it's feasibility is- there is no way to actually immerse a user in the game as yet and without that you cannot get anything as realistic as the hard core roleplaying gamer  dreams of even just in terms of what movements the player's avatar is capable of. It is always an abstraction- the question is what degree of abstraction is used.

However, I do think the use of 3D environments is important because they mean your game can change with changing hardware - if you look at Baldur's gate 1, for example, it is very chunky and pixellated now. If you compare it with something of a similar age that plays nicely with 3d accelleration it looks a lot better - maybe a little old, but the difference is far less noticeable.
Offline Raghar

Ue ni taete 'ru hitomi ni kono mi wa dou utsuru

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-07-22 20:25:14 »

We are doomed.
Fallout 3 is dead. Viva Fallout 4.

Bethesda are people that can't get RPG right. They didn't implemented a lot of features in the Morrowind, and they would highly likely blast out even Fallout 3.

3D is of course very nice. Just becose original F1-2 were isometric doesn't mean that new version shouldn't have detailed models, or a guess who is behind you feature.

Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-07-25 20:05:36 »

I will have to beg to differ with you on the Bethsoft front- I have played a lot of RPGs in my time and nothing else has touched the immersion, freedom and sheer involvement of Morrowind and Daggerfall. I was still playing Daggerfall pretty much up until morrowind arrived, in fact.

The best way to wreck a good RPG is to try and make it work on consoles though (see Deus Ex 2 for a classic example of this) - if anything will make the game lame out it will be that.
Offline markush

Senior Newbie

Plöp!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-07-25 22:05:05 »

I will have to beg to differ with you on the Bethsoft front- I have played a lot of RPGs in my time and nothing else has touched the immersion, freedom and sheer involvement of Morrowind and Daggerfall. I was still playing Daggerfall pretty much up until morrowind arrived, in fact.

The best way to wreck a good RPG is to try and make it work on consoles though (see Deus Ex 2 for a classic example of this) - if anything will make the game lame out it will be that.

So morrowind is a lame game, in your definition:

http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox/177/Elder-Scrolls-III-Morrowind
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-07-26 11:35:38 »

I think probably it was on the XBox actually. They wrote it for the PC and then it turned out that the XBox existed and they could probably port it quite easily.

It would have pissed me off endlessly trying to play that without a proper mouse/keyboard interface and the Xbox players certainly seemed to spend a lot of time whining about it. I stopped visiting the TES forums at around the time time it got released because they were suddenly full of annoying xbox twelve-year-olds.  
Offline winkman

Senior Newbie

Java games !

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-09-23 12:03:21 »

"Heave Ho" all you fallout - fans !
Consider taking a look at:

http://www.the-fall.com

They once tried to get the fallout - licence but failed, their product however may come close to what i'd expect from fallout 3 notetheless.
Offline KlaasBoesche

Innocent Bystander

Java games rock!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-09-24 14:59:05 »

I am quite hopeful that Bethesda will make a great Fallout 3.
Bethesda has shown that they know how to make great(even mile stone) RPGs.

As exploration and a large World was a big part in Morrowind(can't speak for Daggerfall, only played the demo back then) and very fun to do, it also was in Fallout 1/2.
As for Morrowind on the XBOX: I can only agree that playing an RPG like that on a console just has to be bad. I wouldn't even want to play an ego-shooter on a console because I'm the opinion that a gamepad is just no acceptable replacement for mouse&keyboard.

I just hope they either will make it a 3D engine that looks that good that you won't miss the nice detail of the drawn isometric landscapes/characters from the first and second part, or just leave it at an isometric one.
Offline zingbat

Java games rock!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-10-15 18:19:16 »

They once tried to get the fallout - licence but failed, their product however may come close to what i'd expect from fallout 3 notetheless.

$1.175 million  Grin
Offline gregorypierce

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-10-21 19:45:01 »

I've been conversing with their devs off and on because some of them are still friends of mine since I left the shop. I've raised my own personal concern that I hope that the game is close to the license and I've received many assurances that while they have no intention of remaking Fallout 1 or 2 in terms of playstyle, it should be a worthy successor to Fallout 2.

The team working on Fallout 3 is not the same team working on Morrowind, so some of the "Morrowind with guns" views of the game are unfounded - though they are VERY VERY early in their design process.

I remain hopeful that the game is something that is cool, although I have heard some things (from their press) that make me want to cringe Smiley

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (26 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (14 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (60 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (39 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org