Well, we've finally got an articles page @ JGF (http://grexengine.com/sections/externalgames/
) with some content on
. More tutorials would be very welcome indeed!
All articles *WILL* be peer-reviewed for accuracy, consistency, clarity, etc. I'm now going to start nagging various people on this forum to produce articles on their areas of expertise (you know you want to!
To help me prioritize my nagging, please vote on what tutorial topics you most want right now; due to the vagaries (and general lack of features) of the YABB voting, it's one-vote-each - as articles are completed, I'll modify the list and you'll have to each manually cancel your vote and choose the new recipient (sorry!). Sadly, it won't let me reset individual votes for you (boo!)
Also, feel free to through out ideas or ask questions about writing tutorials. The last time we had a thread about this, it started with the following, which I'm using as a starting-point for the tutorials we want (and shout if something major is missing!).
(I CANNOT QUOTE FOR YABB DELETES THE NESTED QUOTES)
A while back, Cas started a thread with the words:
Just to nudge the ball a more to try and get it rolling....
Were anyone to contribute some articles on JGO, what would you like them to be about?
Let's get a list of dissertation titles together, and then we can vote on them to figure out which ones to get done first.
...which had a pretty positive response. An article (or two) was even written.
GergisKhan eventually even setup a wiki...but then JavaONE was coming, and SG begged us to wait...
For starters I'm summarising the topics people suggested in Cas's thread:
(Cas's thread is here: http://www.JavaGaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=suggestions;action=display;num=1049717385
(also a thread on NIO networking that started heading in the same direction (need to write articles): http://www.JavaGaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=Networking;action=display;num=1052749856;start=0
- The power of Multitexturing (in depth)
- A detailed explaination of GL extensions and their uses
- 'Java3D - best practise'
- pros/cons of using the various Collection classes in game
- When to use custom classes for complex data types versus using multiple primitive arrays
- BufferStrategies, different Image types, how to use ImageIO, fullscreen tutorial, debugging Java3D problems, isometric rendering, tile-based engines etc
- the design of games, as in good tips on connecting all the pieces together (menues, gamestates etc)
- all different aspects to write turn-based strategy games in Java
- tools (IDEs, build stuff like Ant, integrating with CVS, profiling, debugging)
- how to make a demo mode ( recording inputs and playback 'em doesnt do the trick. how should the main loop look alike if u wanna implement this feature in the future? )
- *regularly updated* article on JVM-performance improvements
- comprehensive round-up of game-programming resources
- Theory and Design
* OOP Theory, Polymorphism, Terminology (such as Refactoring) (perhaps just links to other good sites/tutorials)
* Game (general) design (again, links to gamedev or something)
* Game code design (states, gameloops, entity/world structure, creating/organising world events)
* Game stucture in Java (what kind of code to use for what)
* Networking, File saving, Security
* Java language syntax/formating guidelines
* Using LWJGL, Using Java2D, APIs (OpenGL, OpenAL)
* IDE Tutorials, IDE Comparisons
* Using Collections, Using Regular expressions
* Code examples, How to... (...make JARs, distribute with WebStart, serialize Objects for QuickSaving games)
...and finally, Breakfast's: http://www.newview.co.uk/javatutorial
(/I CANNOT QUOTE FOR YABB DELETES THE NESTED QUOTES)