News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  Microsoft XNA  (Read 19224 times)
Offline William

No Exit

« Reply #30 - Posted 2004-03-31 14:17:22 »

Shards are not necessarily in use because of technical limitations at all - shards may be intrinsic to the problem that a huge online persistent world just might get boring.

I agree. The posts I've seen from MMORPG developers about scalability tend to be about the problem of scaling the content. Unless Jeff's platform also creates content, the work required to build and populate a big world for 50k players instead of making 25 copies of a small 2k-player world still makes sharding attractive.  

Then again, Anarchy Online did try the 50k player world option and they failed mainly because of technical reasons. It was simply the buggiest AAA-level game that I've ever played, even a year after its release, so maybe Sun can sell the platform to Funcom.
Offline jared888

Senior Newbie

Eat your own shorts. Leave mine alone.

« Reply #31 - Posted 2004-03-31 17:12:10 »

Seems to me the most unsurmountable problem isn't technical at all, but rather the ability to provide dynamic, engaging content.

But merging the dynamic and engaging content is what makes MMO games so difficult. This is not a technical issue.

And I think that is not the real problem.

A better way to state the problem is this: Keeping players interested in the plot that you are feeding them.

But that isn't an exact definition of the problem either. It is getting closer to the real problem though.

The real problem, and it has parallels in the real world, is a control issue.

There is not a single game out there, to my knowledge, that disassociates player freedom with game rules.

Let me step back to paper and pen RPGs for a moment.
I loved playing starwars. Even a beginning character could hose a stormtrooper, no problem. The reason? Player characters are SPECIAL.

Now, your real issue is making each and every one of your 50,000 online players feel unique and special.

There are several routes to this, Most of them don't work for very long.

1) Have plot missions that characters can fill. The effectiveness of this is limited in a chat environment, where players will ask "How do you complete missions x?" Everyone does the same cookie cutter mission. Such fun.  Kinda like a puzzle filled FPS...with lag!

2) Put lots of detail and things in your game. Hundreds of skills, skill levels, points, attributes, objects, manufacturing thingies, etc. make them pluggable so that you can just keep adding more and more and more and more. "My Super Wanda Sword beats your Vorpal Sword iX!" "No, I no longer use the IX, I have a Super Wanda 2!" My virtual sword is bigger than yours! This gets tiring, but not as quickly as reason 1 stated above.

3) Obfuscate the plot. Obfuscate the high end gadgets that the players can get. This is supposed to work towards adding a level of suspense. Yeah, right. THis is dreadfully annoying for anyone that isn't a noob player.

4) Add real, INDIVIDUAL, dynamic content.
This is not truly a technical issue. THis is a "we don't give a @#$% about the players" issue. This is a "My game, my plot, MY CREATION" issue. To my knowledge, even though it is possible, no one has built a persistent online world that each player has the capability to rise to power, overthrow the head honcho NPC characters, and get knifed in the back by his/her buddy who wants to run things now.

If you build a system where the players drive the plot, instead of act like ancilliary extras on a large movie set, you will have a game that blows the competition away.

This is not a technically challenging thing. Yet no one does this. The only people that can truly provide your game with 100% dynamic content is your players. Set up the game play, initialize a basic plot, and let the players take control of your world. The basic plot dies, but is replaced with your players struggling to create their own world-spanning empire. When one faction gets too powerful, send in your alien/goblin invasion, bash everyone mercilessly, reward the best ten players with a new desktop computer system, and take control of their characters, turn them int oNPCs for the next wave of players to overcome, etc.

Yeah...I'm a genius.

Beware the rabbit of the mind, for it gnaweth on the carrot of the soul.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #32 - Posted 2004-03-31 17:54:42 »

You have some interesting ideas. I suggest you subscribe to MUD-DEV (visit kanga.nu for details) you'll find a very large number of ex pen-n-paper roleplayers talking about online games development.

This is not truly a technical issue. THis is a "we don't give a @#$% about the players" issue. This is a "My game, my plot, MY CREATION" issue. To my knowledge, even though it is possible, no one has built a persistent online world that each player has the capability to rise to power, overthrow the head honcho NPC characters, and get knifed in the back by his/her buddy who wants to run things now.

If you build a system where the players drive the plot, instead of act like ancilliary extras on a large movie set, you will have a game that blows the competition away.

This is not a technically challenging thing. Yet no one does this.

This is incredibly difficult to do. No, really. As it happens, it's one of the areas where we've concentrated on adding value, and is one of the reasons why I'm unexcited by Sun producing a technology that's all about things like preventing the need for shards.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline William

No Exit

« Reply #33 - Posted 2004-03-31 18:54:10 »

Just posted my master's thesis on quest systems that also looks at dynamic generation of quests here:
http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=Announcements;action=display;num=1080762755

Will post it to MUD-dev too.
Offline jared888

Senior Newbie

Eat your own shorts. Leave mine alone.

« Reply #34 - Posted 2004-03-31 19:37:49 »

This is incredibly difficult to do. No, really..

Mmmm...I have to disagree with this statement.

Would you like to see my design layout for this? It would take me a few days to put it together, as it is still mostly on notepaper currently. But I would be happy to share my grandoise and megalomaniacal ideas....

Beware the rabbit of the mind, for it gnaweth on the carrot of the soul.
Offline William

No Exit

« Reply #35 - Posted 2004-03-31 19:41:38 »

Doesn't Shadowbane let you do this? You can supposedly build and own the cities only to have your guildmates betray you. Never really got into the endgame so I'm not sure...
Offline whome

Carte Noir Java

« Reply #36 - Posted 2007-08-15 09:55:37 »

XNA Game Studio 2 overview
http://www.ziggyware.com/readarticle.php?article_id=110&rowstart=1
* built-in voice support
* Xbox live-PC networking
* major focus of documentation and education content
* gamer profiles integration (gamertags, ...)
* input devices (chatpad, pads,  guitars, drums, sticks, ...)

MS is sure investing a lot to XNA tools. They give a simple and easy to start tools + APIs + good documentation. No wonder XNA is used in many universities as a teaching platform.
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #37 - Posted 2008-03-21 13:29:22 »

The two pieces missing from the puzzle are OpenGL and Playstation. All bases must be covered to provide a coherent response to Microsoft's strategy. Unless there's a geniune console competitor to PS2/XBox that runs Java and OpenGL that I haven't heard announced at GDC yet.

Cas Smiley
Wrong. It is possible to use a JOGL-ES version under PS3.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 284
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #38 - Posted 2008-03-21 13:53:48 »

No it isn't.

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #39 - Posted 2008-03-21 14:12:37 »

MS is sure investing a lot to XNA tools. They give a simple and easy to start tools + APIs + good documentation. No wonder XNA is used in many universities as a teaching platform.

Yeah, I've been tinkering with XNA this week and while the API is nice, it's the VS intergration that really makes it shine. You can go from nothing to a display with a sprite on it in about a minute.

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #40 - Posted 2008-03-21 16:50:17 »

Nearly as fast as Blitz Basic or Flash then?
Or even Java these days?

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #41 - Posted 2008-03-22 12:33:56 »

No idea, I've not tried either of those two, and I don't particularly want to either.  Wink

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #42 - Posted 2008-03-22 14:27:11 »

No it isn't.

Cas Smiley
"The CELL processor will rely on a variation of the of the standard OpenGL library, with plans between Sony and the Khronos Group to develop Open GL/ES, an extension specifically designed for interactive content."

Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSGL:
PSGL is a 3D computer graphics API based on OpenGL ES for the Sony PlayStation 3. A previous version of PSGL was available for the Sony PlayStation 2 but was largely unused.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #43 - Posted 2008-03-22 17:44:39 »

There's no JOGL and no JVM on the PlayStation. End of story.

Cas Smiley

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #44 - Posted 2008-03-22 20:37:17 »

There's no JOGL and no JVM on the PlayStation. End of story.

Cas Smiley
Wrong! There is a JVM on PS3 :
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070729074006AAVWXaS
http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t103801.html

The PS3 comes with Java installed, but it's an older version. It is possible to install Linux (Yellow Dog Linux) and then Java on a PS3.
http://www.helios.de/support/ps3_install.phtml

It is not the end of story....  Grin

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #45 - Posted 2008-03-22 21:34:45 »

That's not quite what I had in mind.

Cas Smiley

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 15
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #46 - Posted 2008-03-23 13:23:05 »

Wrong! There is a JVM on PS3 :
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070729074006AAVWXaS
http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t103801.html

The PS3 comes with Java installed, but it's an older version. It is possible to install Linux (Yellow Dog Linux) and then Java on a PS3.
http://www.helios.de/support/ps3_install.phtml

It is not the end of story....  Grin

It's true there's java for linux on PS3, but it doesn't seem very realistic to target those 5 geeks that went into the trouble of installing YDL and java. Linux also doesn't have access to the graphics hardware, so hw accellerated OpenGL is not possible.

Linux aside, there's no java on PS3 apart from BluRay, which is no full-blown J2SE JRE by any means, and afaik not available outside of BluRay discs making it again not realistic for games (seriously, would you download a BluRay disc image of tic-tac-toe, burn it on a BluRay disc to play it on your PS3?  Smiley).

What would have made PS3 interesting for java games if it would at least have J2SE support in the PS3 browser, preferrably with OpenGL support in the form of JOGL or LWJGL. But alas, it doesn't, and it doesn't look like that will change.

So as far as I'm concerned, end of story...

The PS3 browser does have flash support, by the way...

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #47 - Posted 2008-03-23 13:38:10 »

Noone uses the OpenGL implementation anyway, since it's written as an extra layer on top of the native graphics calls and not particularly efficient.

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #48 - Posted 2008-03-23 23:12:34 »

Linux also doesn't have access to the graphics hardware, so hw accellerated OpenGL is not possible.
No it's wrong on my view as it is currently possible to use PSGL under PS3 (it was the case on PS2 too but almost nobody uses this).

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #49 - Posted 2008-03-24 00:15:11 »

You're right, I missed that.
Still, that's on 'native' PS3, where there's no java, right? (I'm not counting BluRay java here)

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #50 - Posted 2008-03-24 12:30:29 »

You're right, I missed that.
Still, that's on 'native' PS3, where there's no java, right? (I'm not counting BluRay java here)
Right, but then I don't see any technical obstacles to use PSGL through Java as it is a derivative of OpenGL-ES and it is possible to use OpenGL-ES in Java through JOGL-ES.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #51 - Posted 2008-03-24 13:28:52 »

I'm sure an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of Playstations can eventually get a fast, stable JVM running on one with lovely fast OpenGL drivers and start releasing and distributing games for it with Sony's blessing.

...but there are more useful things for everyone to be doing with their time, like dreaming of never ending kebabs, or flying cars.

Cas Smiley

Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #52 - Posted 2008-03-24 21:34:12 »

I'm sure an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of Playstations can eventually get a fast, stable JVM running on one with lovely fast OpenGL drivers and start releasing and distributing games for it with Sony's blessing.

...but there are more useful things for everyone to be doing with their time, like dreaming of never ending kebabs, or flying cars.

Cas Smiley
I hate the way you treat people here, especially people who don't agree with you.

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #53 - Posted 2008-03-24 23:37:45 »

Sorry, I may be a little cynical in my dotage, but it's good to have a little reality poured on the fires of mindless optimism. Java & OpenGL on PS3 is a waste of everyone's time - why not put energies into enthusing about promoting it where it's genuinely strong and meaningful, on the desktop?

<edit> I really am sorry, I don't mean to be mean or nasty, just illustrating the incredibly unlikeliness of it all with a daft comparison.

Cas Smiley

Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #54 - Posted 2008-03-27 00:29:11 »

I'm dreaming about a flying car made of kebab now.
Offline gouessej

« In padded room »

TUER

« Reply #55 - Posted 2008-03-27 06:45:48 »

Sorry, I may be a little cynical in my dotage, but it's good to have a little reality poured on the fires of mindless optimism. Java & OpenGL on PS3 is a waste of everyone's time - why not put energies into enthusing about promoting it where it's genuinely strong and meaningful, on the desktop?

<edit> I really am sorry, I don't mean to be mean or nasty, just illustrating the incredibly unlikeliness of it all with a daft comparison.

Cas Smiley
I recently discovered that some Linux users performed the experiment with PSGL and OpenJDK... without success for the moment  Sad but it proves that some people don't agree with you, some people don't think that Java OpenGL on PS3 is a waste of everyone's time. I still use Java ( and JOGL) for my own 3D game and I go on promoting it on the desktop, there is no contradiction.

I'm dreaming about a flying car made of kebab now.
It doesn't make me laugh.

Offline Breakfast

for great justice!

« Reply #56 - Posted 2008-03-28 16:56:20 »

This talk has been going on since the first PS2 arrived and it continues to the present. Right now I think we can safely say that it's not going to happen in a hurry.

Maybe when the game has shifted a couple of million copies on the desktop you could worry about creating a console version but even then I suspect that keeping the logic and the graphical assets and adapting it to run in a PS3-specific engine (or better still licencing someone else to port it) would simply work better and be cheaper than trying to get Java running on a platform where there is no real interest in having it.

If the time spent on worrying about Java/OGL on the console was spent writing good games that use Java and sell a lot of copies then it would be much more likely that someone would see a business case for creating a good java runtime on the platform. Otherwise it won't happen, or if it does it will happen in the most niche way, which is hardly the point of writing for games consoles.
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Monkey for a head

« Reply #57 - Posted 2008-03-29 00:19:04 »

This talk has been going on since the first PS2 arrived and it continues to the present.
More specifically, Chris M has been bullshitting us with vauge hand-wavy promisies of Java on consoles since PS2. We're all a little tired and cynical until we see some physical results we can play with ourselves first hand.

Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1
Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #58 - Posted 2008-03-29 00:46:46 »

More specifically, Chris M has been bullshitting us with vauge hand-wavy promisies of Java on consoles since PS2. We're all a little tired and cynical until we see some physical results we can play with ourselves first hand.

Pleasant!  Well, I can only tell you what the companies (sun and others) tell us.  Other bits are under hard lined NDAs.  As for where all of this started, it was the former President of Sun and the CTO of Sony standing on stage at JavaOne and announcing it, not me.  This proclamation was handed to the new "Don't we have someone focusing on game type things?"  guy.  Since then, it has not been without its challenges, to say the least.  I can assure you that no one has pushed harder than I have to get Java on a game console.  Due to NDAs, and yes, that means I can't tell people outside of the NDAs what is happening, what I have been able to communicate is extremely limited.

There is no intention of bullshitting, as you so nicely put it, and when I have stated in the past that things were moving along, well, they were.  But there are a lot of moving parts and nothing is as easy as it seems if you are on the outside looking in, believe me.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #59 - Posted 2008-03-29 02:50:55 »

Yes, I'll have to agree with Chris here that 'bullshitting' is really overly harsh and totally uncalled for. As far as I can tell, a real effort had been made to get java on the PS2 but sadly it just didn't work out as we all (and I'm sure Chris included) hoped it would.

I can only speak for myself, but I've just become a bit more reserved about the issue because the PS2 story told us that even Sun persueing java on the console doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen or that us indie developers are going to benefit from it. There is more to it than just getting a VM onto it.

On the positive side, I've actually seen JEmu2 run on a PS3/YDL, which is more than I expected. Who knows, maybe the PS3/Linux community will grow enough to make it count. I'm not holding my breath, but never say never...

EDIT:
As an even more positive note, the fact that there is actually a JVM running on a PS3 (even though only on Linux) can perhaps serve as an excellent proof of concept for a successful java game (puzzle pirates, runescape on PSN?).
That is a huge step forward compared to the PS2 situation in that there's now actually something to physically play with.
I'd even go as far as to say that this might even not have happened if Sun/Chris didn't advocate this proposition, or at least I can imagine it helped.

EDIT2:
If the time spent on worrying about Java/OGL on the console was spent writing good games that use Java and sell a lot of copies then it would be much more likely that someone would see a business case for creating a good java runtime on the platform.
That's too easy. What do you suggest, closing the General Discussions/Off-Topic forums?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (64 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (62 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (75 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (58 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (76 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (101 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (161 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (256 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (209 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (216 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org