Games in Android Showcase (110)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (548)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  PUPPY GAMES needs YOUR GAME  (Read 6250 times)
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #30 - Posted 2003-09-28 07:02:07 »

Whatever happened to the Final Fantasy Tactics clone? Huh

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 14
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #31 - Posted 2003-09-28 08:51:27 »

Stunning lack of nearly anything Wink Besides - Wurm is still just a tech demo - there's no game there yet! That's the hard part!

Cas Smiley

Haha, yeah. I've got papers and .txt documents filled with TODO's. Many of them are strange, like the one that says "add JavaSpeech support (?)". Hehe.

We're going to "publish" it ourselves, but perhaps when Wurm is in beta, PuppyGames and WurmOnline.com could link each other?

Play Minecraft!
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 362
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #32 - Posted 2003-09-28 11:46:19 »

Of course.

Cas Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mojomonkey

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #33 - Posted 2003-09-28 14:43:03 »

Whatever happened to the Final Fantasy Tactics clone?

I'd be very interested in that... I've been playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the Gameboy and am completely addicted. Best new game genre I've played in awhile. *THAT* might be a game I'd be interested in buying. In fact, I've been enjoying it so much that I was considering going that route when I started my own game. Any idea who was working on it?

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #34 - Posted 2003-09-28 16:28:03 »

Any idea who was working on it?

Quick search...

http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=volunteer;action=display;num=1047684857

Right, it was to be called Tactxs and was last mentioned at the end of March.  Leknor and Toby Reyelts were the core team, but neither has posted here since the end of July. :-/

But don't you just love Google?  Freshmeat last saw Leknor on the 5th of this month and Toby posted in comp.lang.c++ mid August, so they're both stil alive, probably just caught up in other things.  If you're interested in the fate of Tactxs you may want to try email, I doubt a PM will get to them any time soon.

Charlie Dobbie, data miner extraordinaire! Grin

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #35 - Posted 2003-09-28 17:11:23 »

Leknor (Sandy McArthur) has been helping me debug Matrox problems just recently. The end result is the game now runs on Matrox! Hey - it might even run on your shitbag S3!

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #36 - Posted 2003-09-28 20:04:37 »

Right, it was to be called Tactxs and was last mentioned at the end of March.  Leknor and Toby Reyelts were the core team, but neither has posted here since the end of July. :-/

Aye, I was working with them as well. Unfortunatly I lost 'net access from home for the last several weeks, and recently the CVS dissappeared. Development seems stalled, now i'm back online with a proper b.band connection I'm gonna see if we can ressurect the thing again...

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline nlmueng

« Reply #37 - Posted 2003-09-29 00:43:31 »

Mojomonkey: if you like tactics game you should look into the shinging force games, they are my favortie tactics type games, and some of the oldest along with feda.  Two for sega genisis and one for sega cd, two? for game gear, 3 for sega saturn.  I am thinking of making a game that is similar to the sega saturn version.  Working on the terrain generation for it now.

nathan
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #38 - Posted 2003-09-29 08:57:00 »

You're in the same boat no matter what with a few important differences:

Nearly all Windows users have DirectX installed, and nearly all DirectX installations are at version 7 now. DirectX 7 is perfectly adequate for 3D gaming and can be relied upon to be present,

Despite the fact that most games *require* DX8 IME for the last 2 (?) years, and DX9 has been out a while....

And in fact I was with someone last week who couldn't play a game because it needed DX9 and the DX9 download from windows update was so slow (on *fast* ADSL !) and kept crashing the XP Home computer when it tried to install. Not good.

P.S. I'm not disagreeing - just pointing out that DX is frequently a  throbbing great pain in the arse, and does prevent people from playing games, both because of download issues and because of installation bugs.

basically. Microsoft takes care of distributing DirectX and they do a much, much, better job of it than Sun does of distributing the JRE, and we all know why that is.

..MS just happens to screw it up quite often. Seriously, folks, I've seen C++ developers go through considerable debate about whether and how to include DX - just as we wonder whether and how to include JVM.

As Cas is saying, it's typically easier to provide DX than the JVM, but there are still big problems there Sad.

About 35% of my potential customers it turns out don't have OpenGL installed, and of that 35%, about 1% of them bother to subsequently get drivers just to try out my game.

Ah yes, the problem that Q3 encountered, of course, giving birth to glsetup Smiley. Sad to hear that glsetup hasn't yet "fixed the world"...

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #39 - Posted 2003-09-29 14:45:36 »

The fact is you've got to compare the download size with what you get from a C++ application.

In a 20MB C++ application you've more or less got 2MB of code and 18MB for content - that's a big game.

In a 20MB Java application you've got 14MB blown in a JVM, 2MB of code or so (they're approximately equal), leaving just 4MB for content. That's a 20MB download for 4MB of content. Ouch!

Aha, Microsoft does it again, lulls you into a false sense of security, then screws you over just when you aren't looking. As of today, sorry Cas Wink :

In the current (November) issue of PC Pro, however, editor James Morris writes: "Microsoft US has banned the inclusion of any of its code on magazine discs. Presumably, the company assumes we all have broadband to download up to 166MB for DirectX 9b or 134MB for Windows XP Service Pack 1a."

http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/33021.html

I'm sure they'll sort themselves out within a few weeks, but for now I'd *much* rather download JRE 1.4.2 to play a game than the new DX9 update Grin

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #40 - Posted 2003-09-29 16:23:18 »

Well, it's a bloody good thing that GL drivers are usually under 8MB and not owned by M$ then isn't it?

Nearly got my own version of GLSetup working. I'll let you know when it's ready...

Cas Smiley

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #41 - Posted 2003-09-29 18:56:16 »

Well.. they're getting there. Latest nVidia are ~8.5Mb, and if you want the international ones its a whopping 18.9Mb.  Shocked  Shocked

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #42 - Posted 2003-09-29 22:29:33 »

the all-in-one driver had it's advantages, eg. it's damn easy to tell nVidea users (no matter how inept) where to get their drivers.

Also nice to know my old GeForce will still be supported (kinda) Smiley

Will.

Offline PlanetMongo

Senior Newbie

Follow the yellow line.  Don't EAT the yellow line

« Reply #43 - Posted 2003-11-17 19:59:25 »

hate to drag this up, but...

I'd be very interested in that... I've been playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the Gameboy and am completely addicted. Best new game genre I've played in awhile. *THAT* might be a game I'd be interested in buying. In fact, I've been enjoying it so much that I was considering going that route when I started my own game. Any idea who was working on it?

<nitpick>
Strategy RPG's aren't exactly a "new" genre.  They borrow pretty heavily from other strategy games (see Advance Wars and then go from there).  Go grab the original FF Tactics (like, $10 at used game store, $20 new at BestBuy or Walmart if you have those around).  It's pretty good.  Then go find the Tactics Ogre (for the PSX and SNES), same developers as FF Tactics (Square bought them out from ENIX, I believe), but twice as deep.  That little pittance of a "hidden" dungeon in FF Tactics is like 100 levels deep in Tactics Ogre.  Then you should check out others in the Ogre Battle series (SNES, PSX, rare on both), they're a bit different, but still have strategy elements.  
Also, you'll probably like:
PSX:
Vandal Hearts 1 & 2

PS2:
Disgaea

Saturn:
Shining Force III
Dragon Force

SNES:
find the Front Mission import, it's supposed to be good.  I dug the import FM2 on the PSX, but the damn cutscenes just took forever and were non-cancellable from what I could see.  FM3, localized USA, I heard terrible things about.  Just terrible.

And go pick up Tactics Ogre: The Knights of the Lodis for the GBA, as well.  Smiley

</nitpick>

Now, having said that, yes, I'd much appreciate a FF Tactics or even Advance Wars clone.  In fact, I've got some ideas for both of those on the backburner in case no one else does em.  With turn-based games, it should also be relatively easy to do multiplayer online play!  Smiley

If you were me, you'd be good lookin - six string samurai
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

atombrot (26 views)
2014-08-19 09:29:53

Tekkerue (24 views)
2014-08-16 06:45:27

Tekkerue (23 views)
2014-08-16 06:22:17

Tekkerue (14 views)
2014-08-16 06:20:21

Tekkerue (22 views)
2014-08-16 06:12:11

Rayexar (60 views)
2014-08-11 02:49:23

BurntPizza (38 views)
2014-08-09 21:09:32

BurntPizza (30 views)
2014-08-08 02:01:56

Norakomi (37 views)
2014-08-06 19:49:38

BurntPizza (67 views)
2014-08-03 02:57:17
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org