Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (535)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  MegaCorps Online - Java FPS with realti  (Read 10146 times)
Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #30 - Posted 2004-10-15 21:45:43 »

We have had problems with the CG on Linux. We have not been able to webstart it without a CG environment pre-installed. Download  CG from NVIDIA and run /sbin/ldconfig

The pre-requisites for runnig Megacorps on Linux is available at:
http://www.megacorpsonline.com/downloads/

Have Fun
// Tomas
CTO Agency9

CTO Agency9
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #31 - Posted 2004-10-15 22:05:34 »

Wow, great engine Shocked
Everything runs fast, smooth and sweet and those shadows look sooo cool (they even seem to work a bit better than in doom3 where they look a bit fake-ish at some points) Smiley

Some little remarks:
* It seemed a bit strange that I can't look straight up or down. It feels a bit restricted.
* In comparison, the bullets look way too cheap.
* And yeah, upside down "Loading" is just weird
* Dark alleys are pitch black, which looks fake when there's light so close by.

You guys have made great progress! Best java based engine I've seen so far.

Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #32 - Posted 2004-10-15 22:44:37 »

Thanks  Grin

The upside down loading screen is merly an accindent  Cool

The text writer was written for left handen coordinate system (orthogonal screen coordinates) , and the loading screen for a right handed, D'OH!

// Tomas
CTO Agency9    

CTO Agency9
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline selendic

Java games rock!

« Reply #33 - Posted 2004-10-15 22:55:50 »

Ok, got it working on Linux, after RTFM. Nice and smooth, 50-80 with level 3 graphics quality (3 ghz machine, NVidia FX 5600). However, it crashes after half a minute. If you are interested, I could send you that nice verbose err log Java5 creates. Oh, and yes, no sound.

Other than that small annoyances (heh), great work guys!
Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #34 - Posted 2004-10-15 23:04:49 »

However, it crashes after half a minute. If you are interested, I could send you that nice verbose err log Java5 creates.

Please do. You can mail me at karlsson@agency9.se

BTW No sound in this realease.

// Tomas
CTO Agency9

CTO Agency9
Offline selendic

Java games rock!

« Reply #35 - Posted 2004-10-15 23:13:44 »

Sent.
Offline Evil-Devil

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #36 - Posted 2004-10-15 23:57:36 »

Nice rework. The new version runs really smooth. Got 40-70fps. And none artifacts Smiley
But the level designer has to be kicked Grin Very odd level design...
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #37 - Posted 2004-10-16 00:54:51 »

bahh my video card can't even load it.  The game just locked up when I tried to host.

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline Hauk

Guitar, Norse Mythology, java and women=life

« Reply #38 - Posted 2004-10-17 18:44:03 »

I tried hosting the game and got "Driver component mis-match. Exit is the only option", any ideas what to do?

Hauk

I want to become a hermit and live in the harsh wastelands of Norway. I want to have a cloak made of bearskin and hunt the demons of the night.

I was born for a reason and am not about to lie down and die like the rest of you. Anybody with me?
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #39 - Posted 2004-10-17 22:17:23 »

I found the mouse tracking very was bad.  Mouse look stuttered and snapped all over the place (2 steps forward one step back kind of thing)

Other than that it looked pretty good.  Though the shadow of my weapon was missing, making it kinda funny looking to see a shadow of a guy running around "pretending" he had a weapon Smiley

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline ap_kelly

Java rocks!

« Reply #40 - Posted 2004-10-18 11:38:51 »

Plays fine on my machine WinXP SP2 FX5200. I managed to get around 30FPS.

I did have one comment, the shadows seem to suggest that I'm not holding a gun, or at least when I look at the shadow my hands look empty...is this a bug?

Looks good though, keep up the good work.

Andy.

Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #41 - Posted 2004-10-18 14:05:23 »

I did have one comment, the shadows seem to suggest that I'm not holding a gun, or at least when I look at the shadow my hands look empty...is this a bug?

Andy.

Nope. It's work in progress Wink

// Tomas

CTO Agency9
Offline whome

Carte Noir Java

« Reply #42 - Posted 2004-10-26 19:13:41 »

Nice screenshots, but unfortunately cannot testrun due to my great Matrox G400 card :-)

Does graphics engine use lwjgl, jogl or custom-made .dll library for native opengl calls?
Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #43 - Posted 2004-10-26 21:50:29 »

AgentFX 2 is plug-in based and can use virtually any binding, and renderer.

The AgentFX project started before both JOGL and LWJGL. In the first incarnation we used our own set of bindings, since this was prior to the happy days of java.nio we also shipped our own version of NIO buffers called LockedBuffers.

With the release of JOGL and  java.nio we have switched over and currently run everything on JOGL but that might change in the future.

Cheers
Tomas

CTO Agency9
Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #44 - Posted 2004-11-01 20:27:48 »

New updated of megacorps Online is available. This time it is a small update contaning:

* Improved error detection
   * Pre-requisit check for Linux-environments
   * Improved camera control
   * Animations have been tuned a bit
   * Dynamic skeleton effects have been tuned
   * Tuned gravity
   * Improved dead-recognition

Cheers Tomas

CTO Agency9
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #45 - Posted 2004-11-03 03:32:10 »

Is the "Loading..." message supposed to appear upsidedown?

Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #46 - Posted 2004-11-04 10:38:15 »

The upside down loading screen is merly an accindent  Cool

The text writer was written for left handen coordinate system (orthogonal screen coordinates) , and the loading screen for a right handed, D'OH!

// Tomas
CTO Agency9    

CTO Agency9
Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #47 - Posted 2004-11-09 16:50:58 »

MacOS X support now included  !

A new update of Megacorps Online libraries is now available. This new update includes libraries for handling Cg-environment on Apple's Mac OS X systems.

We don't have a OSX system so if anybody gives it a go,
please let us know the result at...

http://www.agency9.se/developer/community/viewforum.php?f=10

...so we don't cludge/spam this forum Wink

Cheers
// Tomas

CTO Agency9
Offline Hauk

« Reply #48 - Posted 2004-11-30 17:27:50 »

Any chance of some Capture the Flag? That engine would do it nicely by the looks of things.  Cool  Cool

Hauk  Cool

I want to become a hermit and live in the harsh wastelands of Norway. I want to have a cloak made of bearskin and hunt the demons of the night.

I was born for a reason and am not about to lie down and die like the rest of you. Anybody with me?
Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #49 - Posted 2004-12-02 13:56:23 »

It's realy hard to say since Megacorps is our ref. paltform where we stress test new features before we include them in AgentFX. Therefore MCO is not released according to a specific schedule.

Our current highest priority is a offical game server and searchable database with public servers.

Cheers
// Tomas

CTO Agency9
Offline Hauk

« Reply #50 - Posted 2004-12-02 20:20:55 »

An official game server would come in handy for your guys rep. I look forward to playing that game and helping you guys along with it.

Hauk Cool

Offline khashayar

Senior Newbie

www.agency9.se

« Reply #51 - Posted 2004-12-13 17:16:13 »

Hi everybody,

Some happy news for the Java community. Smiley

AgentFX 3D engine and Megacorps Online, received a bronze position in 2004 years Golden Polygon Awards.

The Golden Polygon Awards recognize excellence in Real-time & interactive 3D contents. More than 150 3D contents were submitted to the Golden Polygon Awards 2004 Edition. The members of the organization selected 20 nominees in 4 categories.

I'm proud to say that Megacorps Online was awarded with a bronze position in the category for Rich Media / Entertainment.

Take care and play on Wink

/Khashayar

Offline khashayar

Senior Newbie

www.agency9.se

« Reply #52 - Posted 2005-03-30 19:59:16 »

New update is available. This March 30th update was showcased at Game Developers Conference and includes a new self-re-charging laser gun, particle effects, smoke and some other features.

Have fun

/Khashayar

Offline Vorax

Projects: 1

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #53 - Posted 2005-03-30 22:13:21 »

nm...see below

Offline cyberyoyo

Java games funk

« Reply #54 - Posted 2005-03-31 00:35:15 »

The demo is good but you really need to hire a couple artist guys to add some punch to it. For example the lack of sound might be an handicap if you want to convince of the validity of your engine.
If you go to one of the "modding communities" out there (unreal tournament or quake something) you could find some people able to  build you a handful of good impressive map in a short time and maybe work on the sound or particle effects (which could be tweaked a bit ).

Good work nevertheless.
Offline Vorax

Projects: 1

System shutting down in 5..4..3...

« Reply #55 - Posted 2005-03-31 01:14:51 »

Looking good!  

It is definetly getting to the stage where it needs sound though.  

What I like:

- The shadows are nice
- The bump mapping and rendering is nice
- The smoke particles are nice
- The collision detection is pretty good
- The lighting when you fire your weapon (Reminds me of mine Smiley )
- The textures

What can be improved (in no particular order).  Take these with a grain of salt, I realize you are still developing it:

- Can't crouch
- Can't change speed
- Laser effect
- A flashlight, light switch or something toggling lighting (sparks, flickering floursent light, etc.) would be nice in the dark areas.
- Needs more weapons
- Interaction with environment (knock things over, destroy certain things, open doors, etc.)
- Level design needs work
- More levels
- More polished status information (health, bullets, etc.)
- Sound:  footsteps, background music, gun fire, background sounds
- Animated shader/texture effects, flashing consoles, changing screens, reflection, etc.
- More textures
- The FPS was a bit low considering I was the only one on the level, ranging from 22-48:  AMD2600+521MB, Geforce 5500/256MB

Despite that list, it's very impressive and is a good example of what can be done with Java.  Keep it comming!

Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #56 - Posted 2005-03-31 12:12:59 »

Appreciate the input Smiley

CTO Agency9
Offline Evil-Devil

Medals: 2

Fir Tree Master

« Reply #57 - Posted 2005-04-05 15:39:27 »

If you go to one of the "modding communities" out there (unreal tournament or quake something) you could find some people able to  build you a handful of good impressive map in a short time

Have you ever done any Q or UT maps? For MCO building a map might don't take that much time like for Q and UT, but i mention their map editor isn't that powerfull either.
High Qualitity Q and UT maps take round about one month starting from the first scratch until the final release to the community. THis shall not be a comparission to industrie dev time, where a map mostly have to be done in two weeks...

Does MCO even have an editor for creating maps?
Offline Tomas

Agency9

« Reply #58 - Posted 2005-04-05 16:46:33 »

To create a MCO map you can use any tool that supports .obj.  The map is created from a set of sections connected through a portal system. Both the portals and sections can be loaded form a regular .obj file. Special features such as lights, shadows are added with XML. Most of the artist that we've worked with uses Maya but any tool that supports .obj and .mtl should be usable.

If anyone is intressted in developing a map for MCO just let me know and I'll guide you through the process.

Cheers
// Tomas Smiley

CTO Agency9
Offline cyberyoyo

Java games funk

« Reply #59 - Posted 2005-04-05 19:46:49 »

Have you ever done any Q or UT maps? For MCO building a map might don't take that much time like for Q and UT, but i mention their map editor isn't that powerfull either.
High Qualitity Q and UT maps take round about one month starting from the first scratch until the final release to the community. THis shall not be a comparission to industrie dev time, where a map mostly have to be done in two weeks...

Yeah, although I don't have "a name" there, I spent several years designing maps and coding UT mods.
I was talking about a mapper, ready to adopt a new engine and to try new methods of working for an experience, and who would know the how-to to make a good couple of deathmatch maps to start. That would be a good way to take the engine tests to a new level.

We are talking about the engine demo, I don't think agency 9 really has time constraints, a couple of month of mappingwouldn't hurt them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (38 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (39 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (28 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (59 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (50 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (42 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (44 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (60 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (57 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org