Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  ignore  |  Print  
  JGF v3 - status  (Read 37047 times)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #90 - Posted 2005-01-25 18:51:58 »

Any progress on this, or has mozilla killed you off for discovering bugs in the software?

The rush to get stuff ready was partly because I was starting a new gaming job (started) which has taken a lot of time (don't ask; unrealistic urgent release schedule etc that *I* have to try and fix).

I'm doing some stuff still, and hopefully will manage to finish off the last few bugs in a few more evenings....

Did I understand this correctly, though? The completion of that site will also bring forth the migration of this forum? I hope so. The current forum is getting old Smiley

Absolteuly unrelated, I'm afraid. Sun won't pay me anything and either can't or won't help in any other way (some help has been offered, but over the course of a year nothing has happened), so they're working away at their own stuff in privat; you'd have to ask someone from Sun directly to know what's going on there.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #91 - Posted 2005-02-13 20:58:18 »

Uploaded some updates; I really hope you'll agree that the site looks a little nicer now.

Also added the latest 1.4.x JRE (1.4.2_07) links to the java-downloads page.

Also made a few minor bugfixes in lots of places (mainly HTML and CSS bugs - still got some workarounds left to do for the EVIL MSIE 6. Grr)

It *seems* to me that the JAR upload is now working - and nativelibs handling seems OK too. Just need a little more free time for me to add form elements for authors to select OS + JVM version for each JAR / nativelib, and then we're cooking.

(then I can get onto adding an upload page for 3rd-party engines, technologies, libraries, etc. Should be much quicker though, just copying the games-uploader and stripping some features)

/me is very ill, possibly flu, and would desperately like sleep, which is why this update is pretty cras

Offline Virum

Like a leaf in an icy world, memories will fade

« Reply #92 - Posted 2005-02-14 00:06:07 »

Nice work on the site. Smiley

The lack of a logo bugs me though, so I decided to make you one. Wink

I dunno if you'll like it or not, but if you want to use it, feel free.

Here's the bigger version:

Changes can be made per request.

Edit: Just noticed it's games.  Oh well.  If you like it, I'll change it.

It's time to prove to your friends that your worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lotta people.

Blog
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #93 - Posted 2005-02-14 04:07:49 »

Nice work on the site. Smiley

Thanks. Really, really want to get it finished now Sad.

I dunno if you'll like it or not, but if you want to use it, feel free.

I love the rendered look, thanks a lot.

Would you mind having a play with it a bit more, like adding two more cogs of different sizes, and having the cogs a different colour? (cos it's going on a red background for now, the cog ought to be non-red).

The red, btw, is just "what that stylesheet happened to be when I started editing it". I can change it to any other colour easily enuogh (thanks to cunning use of transparent gifs). I might try changing it to the old-site's blue, see if that looks better / worse?

So...also feel free to play around with colours. The only requirement is that it will mainly appear on a dark background (the page header) but also occasionally on a white background (e.g. the current front page).

Also...might want to reduce / vary the number of spikes because they all start to blur together when it shrinks Sad.

Great work.

Offline Virum

« Reply #94 - Posted 2005-02-14 05:46:29 »

Thanks. Really, really want to get it finished now Sad.
Understandable. Wink

I love the rendered look, thanks a lot.

Hey yeah, no problem.  Just my (limited) 3D skillz at work. Wink

Would you mind having a play with it a bit more, like adding two more cogs of different sizes, and having the cogs a different colour? (cos it's going on a red background for now, the cog ought to be non-red).

Hmm, I'll give it a try, shading is like my worst area though.

The red, btw, is just "what that stylesheet happened to be when I started editing it". I can change it to any other colour easily enuogh (thanks to cunning use of transparent gifs). I might try changing it to the old-site's blue, see if that looks better / worse?
Ok, I'll try to make a logo that is capable of adapting. Smiley

So...also feel free to play around with colours. The only requirement is that it will mainly appear on a dark background (the page header) but also occasionally on a white background (e.g. the current front page).

Okey dokey.

Also...might want to reduce / vary the number of spikes because they all start to blur together when it shrinks Sad.

Good idea.

Great work.

Thanks. Smiley  I'll try to whip up a new version soon.

It's time to prove to your friends that your worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lotta people.

Blog
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 378
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #95 - Posted 2005-02-14 07:43:52 »

Can you lose the scrolly black squiggle? It looks naff.

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #96 - Posted 2005-02-14 08:18:19 »

Cas Smiley

Ah, yeah...I was only thinking of adopting the cog part for now. And planning to worry about font for the text separately.

Offline Virum

« Reply #97 - Posted 2005-02-14 20:06:46 »

Cas Smiley

American here; naff?

Ah, yeah...I was only thinking of adopting the cog part for now. And planning to worry about font for the text separately.

Please make sure it's antialiased Tongue

Blog
Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #98 - Posted 2005-02-15 07:30:43 »

American here; naff?

"Not very good" would be one explination Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #99 - Posted 2005-02-26 12:25:00 »

As you've probably noticed by now, v3 has still not yet replaced v2.

Two simple reasons:

- my day job is currently a commercial game project with a very tight deadline (having to salvage tech that was screwed up and has had to start from scratch with 75% of the time already gone!) which launches very soon...and I've had flu, so all in all lost a lot of free time recently

- I'm not yet 100% convinced that the game-uploads and JNLP generator are working perfectly. I don't want to get lots of people to upload games if I then have to tell them all to do it again 2 days later because of some bug.

Top of my list right now are:
1. Get 5 more games uploaded, and fix any more bugs they hilight; if all 5 work, and use a variety of libs etc, then we're pretty much sorted
2. Finish the automatic notification stuff (more on that later)
3. Add workarounds for MSIE (piece of crap) which refuses to render the articles pages properly
4. Nag the current and prospective articles authors and get them moving
5. Add the "editor's favourites" module so that we can glue particular games on the front page for a few days at a time

Other stuff I want to do as soon as I can, but probably won't happen for a while (unless a lot of people clamour for them) ... in no particular order:
6. Add the per-game forums
7. Upload all the donated source code, and make a section for browsing it
8. Make some pages for the FAQ module, and get the various FAQ's (e.g. JOGL, Java2D, etc) ported
9. Add the entire java libraries section (like games: lets you upload libraries etc, but requires more fine control over having simultaneous versions etc Sad )
10. Finish the competitions module, so that e.g. J4k and friends have a lot more features to play with
11. Run the first JGF game-coding competition

NB: The competitions module went on hold, partially complete, because woogley went off and took over all the J4K comp management on his site, so J4K was sorted - and there are no other competitions running at the moment AFAIAA, so I diverted attention to other things that were urgent.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #100 - Posted 2005-02-26 12:27:51 »

Oh, and there are now 5k unique visitors a month to the "old" JGF. I don't know how many are visiting jgf.org, because I haven't run the log analyzer on it yet, although I suspect something like 500 a month, going by the size of the logfiles.

...which also means that ge.com is now at about 95% of it's bandwidth limit, and I urgently need to get v3 finished and put redirector's on every page on the old site! Wink

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #101 - Posted 2005-02-26 15:00:44 »

Are you really sure that all this crazy tech is worth it? I mean, the number of games that it's worth actually playing can be counted on your fingers, and it strikes me that it's not really a huge deal for you to have just taken care of editing & posting yourself...

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #102 - Posted 2005-02-26 16:09:58 »

Are you really sure that all this crazy tech is worth it? I mean, the number of games that it's worth actually playing can be counted on your fingers, and it strikes me that it's not really a huge deal for you to have just taken care of editing & posting yourself...

LOL (both for "number of games" and "is it worth it?")

re: number of games

I firmly believe that the number of decent games is on the verge of shooting upwards. For one small sign for instance we've just seen more than 40 entrants to a J4k comp...a massive increase on *all previous years put together*.

re: is it worth it?

I know this may sound hard to believe, but just maintaining the site for the 40 games it already had was 3+ hours per week for me, assuming I did as little as I could get away with. Realistically, to do it properly (removing games that broke, making sure games worked when updated, etc etc) was approx 15 hours a week - way too much, and even with only a relatively small number!

So...one of the main aims for JGFv3 has been to automate as much as possible. For instance, games can now be uploaded by anyone, with the descriptions, the graphics, the screenshots, without any intervention from me. Um, OK so I haven't linked in the HTML form where the author can change the screenshots etc (yet), but ... it will also mean I'm not needed each time they want to make a change, put up a better screenshot, etc (happens often Sad).

and to top it off...

There's lot's of new features to make people happy which weren't possible without at least some "crazy tech", although there are easier ways much of it could have been done (but not all; and they would have made other bits harder).

For instance, here already or coming soon:

• automatic JNLP's!
  • automatic jardiff (come on...how many of you have set up jardiff *ever*?  Smiley )
  • hits-tracking for which games are most popular
  • games listed in order of popularity (and any other order I write some SQL for)
  • email-notification on events of your choice: new games, new releases, general news, etc (particularly useful for editors: get email when something happens which needs your personal attention!)
  • fix all the problems with broken links in articles
  • authors can edit and append to their articles (especially dev diaries) themselves
  • anyone can put news on the front page (moderated)
  • anyone can comment on each game, article, etc and put in their own requests and suggestions
  • dynamic FAQ's where anyone can ask a question, and it appears on the site as soon as it's answered

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #103 - Posted 2005-02-26 23:34:18 »

Pretty unexciting for 99% of the people reading this, but ...

- automatically creates newsitems each time a new game is created (+ emails all news editors telling them one of them has to check and approve the news)

- automatically emails all game-editors each time a game is created

- automatically emails all article-editors each time a new article is proposed

...which should speed up the admin activities a fair bit, and make it less hassle. But also means people will start getting annoyed if you spam the system with lots of copies of the same game (so please don't; I'm hoping not to have to impose per-author limits on number of games at once Sad ).

Offline Virum

« Reply #104 - Posted 2005-02-27 17:00:30 »

I like the new logo colours btw (I'd change the purple though maybe, it kind of clashes with the red). Smiley

If you like my work, I could also create other GUI elements.  For example, I really, really don't like that gradient silver oval thing that the links are in...  If you want, I could design something nicer?

Also, we need the text Java Games Factory anti aliased or something, it looks dreadful. Wink

Let me know.

Blog
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #105 - Posted 2005-03-01 05:59:12 »

I like the new logo colours btw (I'd change the purple though maybe, it kind of clashes with the red). Smiley

Yeah, need to find a better set of colours.

If you like my work, I could also create other GUI elements.

Anything you think you can do better, have a go, send it to me, and if I agree it'll go up.

Or...post it in a thread, get some comments from other people, and if most like it, it'll probably go up.

Also, we need the text Java Games Factory anti aliased or something, it looks dreadful. Wink

Sorry, still using LCD's; never notice how bad it looks (keep forgetting to deal with it...)

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #106 - Posted 2005-03-02 05:35:56 »

Site went down again this morning...why?

"java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Direct buffer memory
       at java.nio.Bits.reserveMemory(Bits.java:624)

Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 164
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #107 - Posted 2005-03-02 06:20:16 »

Looks like in ran out of memory Wink

Kev

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #108 - Posted 2005-03-02 08:04:47 »

I wonder what it's doing with direct buffers?

Cas Smiley

Offline EgonOlsen
« Reply #109 - Posted 2005-03-02 08:43:21 »

Reminds me of this thread: http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=jogl;action=display;num=1109628293

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #110 - Posted 2005-03-02 11:36:34 »

the "why?" was rhetorical Smiley.

I wonder what it's doing with direct buffers?

Indirect BB's == crash JVM because of Sun memory leak. At least in the version of java running on that machine (might be worth trying java 5 and seeing if it's any better?)

Direct BB's == used for sending + receiving socket traffic. The GE recycles them automatically (I think) so running out is not something I've *ever* seen before. The buffer size for at least some of the services is pretty high on JGF at the moment (off the top of my head some are defaulted to 50kb...which would mean 1280 simultaneous live connections could run out of memory), but I don't think there's been that much traffic Sad.

Offline c_lilian

Projects: 1

Java games will probably rock someday...

« Reply #111 - Posted 2005-03-27 04:49:37 »

To blahblahblah :

I've just noticed this morning you have changed JNLP extension of web start games (Mac / Safari friendly) , well... at list on the anacondanet game . Is it operational for all games ? Have i simply missed the announcement ? (it's a good day for mac players ;-)

Lilian

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #112 - Posted 2005-03-27 09:59:39 »

To blahblahblah :

I've just noticed this morning you have changed JNLP extension of web start games (Mac / Safari friendly) , well... at list on the anacondanet game . Is it operational for all games ? Have i simply missed the announcement ? (it's a good day for mac players ;-)

I *think* I said something about it at the time, but yes - I did make that change for all games. I may have kept quiet because I wasn't 100% sure i'd changed it in all the relevant places, but it seems to be working fine so far (then again, I haven't had time to check on a Mac since doing the patches Sad ).

I *think* I also made it so that the old url (no .jnlp) works. If so, this will cause everyone to be "upgraded" to the new URL next time they play. But I'd appreciate if someone could confirm (I guess you'll either have one copy  of the game in your cache, or two, if jws thinks they're different URL's).

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #113 - Posted 2005-03-27 15:46:56 »

In 2.5 days all I've managed to do is upgrade all the core + modules to the latest grexengine versions, implement my own buffer manager, and install a few extra grexengine plugins.

One of those plugins is an IP blocker, which lets me easily run dangerous services (like a login shell that can remote control the server) without worrying too much about security.

Another is an improved grexengine-shell which I'm going to use to remotely control my buffer manager and see if I can narrow down / fix the out-of-memory errors over the coming days.

Now ... finally, I'm onto dealing with the other bugs mentioned above.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #114 - Posted 2005-03-28 12:09:15 »

I've uploaded everything I've been working on, and restarted the server.

Most of the changes are on the backend - although some are front-end, hope that all MSIE users appreciate the workarounds for MSIE bugs Grin - which means there could be several things broken.

I've spent about 12 hours testing on my local LAN, and have just spent another half hour testing on the JGF live server (and fixed a couple of extra problems), but have run out of bugs. Now I need other people to go poking and see if they can find any other problems...

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #115 - Posted 2005-03-28 17:44:47 »

Authors can now:
- replace any screenshot or logo
- select MainClass
- edit description
- add other co-authors, giving them Author permissions
- all JVM args can be specified
- all JVM properties can be specified

In general, added:
- re-introduced Editor's favourites (I accidnetally wiped it in last update!)
- ditto all games will now run on Mac OS X / Safari (the .jnlp filename hack)
- beautified a lot of pages, althought mostly author-only pages so you won't see them unless you upload a game of your own
- added or improved security checks on several places, including catching user errors and reporting them rather than failing silently
- fixed several other long-asked-for missing features and bugs, though can't remember precisely what right now... Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #116 - Posted 2005-03-29 23:00:40 »

My first attempt ot play a game was not successful:

An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Title: Anaconda_Net
Vendor: Author: moogie
Category: Download Error

Could not verify signing in resource: http://javagamesfactory.org/attachments/game/Anaconda_Net/alpha/11/golden_0_2_2.jar

You also need to make the site look good.  A well done graphic design will make the site less easily dismissed.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #117 - Posted 2005-03-30 11:12:07 »

My first attempt ot play a game was not successful:

Nothing to do with JGF AFAICS, although I understand the point you're really making - games need to work first time.
And I'm right with you on it.

I'm still working towards implementing the two-stage release, where games can't be downloaded until they've been tested, but first wanted to get as many issues with the actual upload and download of games sorted out.

You also need to make the site look good.  A well done graphic design will make the site less easily dismissed.

Suggestions and submissions are, as always, welcome.

I'm assuming at this point that:
- I'll get all the core fully 100% working
- Lots of games will be uploaded
- More admins will appear / start to take over when they see everything is finally working
- Usage will go up a lot
- Some ad revenue will come in
- ...and then we can contract some cheap artist / designer to improve the LaF throughout.

At the moment, it looks like the game downloads are fully working, it's just there are some new glitches with the uploads. C.f. also the most recent game (have to use all-games to see it, right at the bottom) - it's parsed some of the form-submission fields together into one field. I need to find out what happened there; probably a bug in parser encountering an unexepcted ASCII code or somethign.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #118 - Posted 2005-03-30 11:16:09 »

.f. also the most recent game (have to use all-games to see it, right at the bottom) - it's parsed some of the form-submission fields together into one field. I need to find out what happened there; probably a bug in parser encountering an unexepcted ASCII code or somethign.

...looking at parser-log, it's gobbling 6 chars of the boundary into the payload of the previous field. Could be a case of me guesstimating the character size in bytes (because Sun's API doesn't tell you, a bug I logged a coupel of years ago), or could just be a case of a counter getting out of synch in the parser in some boundary case that just happened to occur this one time Sad.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #119 - Posted 2005-03-30 19:15:54 »

...looking at parser-log, it's gobbling 6 chars of the boundary into the payload of the previous field....or could just be a case of a counter getting out of synch in the parser in some boundary case that just happened to occur this one time Sad.

Turns out when I wrote the parser I'd missed a boundary case where the client sent data so that an HTTP 30-character boundary marker fell just a few bytes short of a ByteBuffer limit. I'd handled lots of bytes short, and dead-on, but not a few short (don't ask; it was a really stupid mistake). My only defence is that just parsing HTTP-uploads is complex and requires a 6-state FSM Sad. Not much of a defence Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

BurntPizza (10 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (29 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (57 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (79 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09

Tekkerue (40 views)
2014-09-09 02:24:56

mitcheeb (60 views)
2014-09-08 06:06:29

BurntPizza (45 views)
2014-09-07 01:13:42

Longarmx (30 views)
2014-09-07 01:12:14

Longarmx (36 views)
2014-09-07 01:11:22

Longarmx (36 views)
2014-09-07 01:10:19
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org