Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (576)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Ten Most Recent Posts  (Read 2889 times)
Offline zparticle

Senior Duke

Thick As A Brick

« Posted 2003-04-15 11:23:32 »

Can we get a link to the "Ten most recent posts" at the top of the home page. This is the thing I want to click nine times out of ten.

It's a bit annoying to have to scroll down to the bottom of the page everytime I come to see what is happenig on the site.

Offline shawnkendall

Senior Duke

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-04-15 16:23:24 »

I second that please. Undecided

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Duke

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-04-15 16:24:41 »

On second thought,  I prefer the "Last days Posts" like we had on the old board.

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-04-15 16:56:29 »

Ditto on that. It was nice when you could keep discussions going for near forever simply because the time since you viewed the board was not a hinderance to finding new posts.

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-04-15 17:12:09 »

Improvise!  Adapt!  Overcome! Tongue

I used to miss the old functionality, but not any more.  On the old board I used to switch between "what's changed since I was last here" and "last day's posts", but now I'm perfectly happy with logging in, letting the board colour the changed forums red, and bringing all changed forums up in a new window.  I then let them load and bring up all changed threads in more new windows (closing the forum windows as I go).  I then just process each window in turn until they've all gone.

There's a little bug where ancient threads that haven't been touched in months suddenly tag themselves as changed, but it's easy to spot a forum doing that and just marking all topics read.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-04-15 17:21:12 »

but now I'm perfectly happy with logging in, letting the board colour the changed forums red, and bringing all changed forums up in a new window

Changing red? Are we talking about the same forums? Maybe you were thinking of forums.java.sun.com?

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Duke

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-04-15 17:40:37 »

If you are talking about this forum, that would be a significant amount of deeper searching, I just checked and also every top level forum had new post.
I still have to open each one seperately, then go into each SUB-topic and then skip to the end to see the post.
This takes so long for so many forums I end up skipping most.
:-(

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline Breakfast

Senior Duke

for great justice!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-04-15 17:58:54 »

I then let them load and bring up all changed threads in more new windows (closing the forum windows as I go).  I then just process each window in turn until they've all gone.

Optimize further- use a tabbed browser and drop the windows thing altogether. Opera and I have been very happy together for a year or so now...
Offline zparticle

Senior Duke

Thick As A Brick

« Reply #8 - Posted 2003-04-15 18:17:43 »

How about the admins just add the link I asked for. Cheesy

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #9 - Posted 2003-04-15 20:22:50 »

I'm with Shawn.  I like getting a list of everything that is changed since I last checked.   Obviously the information is in there, we just need a nice one-click view.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Who, me?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2003-04-15 20:30:11 »

Changing red? Are we talking about the same forums? Maybe you were thinking of forums.java.sun.com?

Nope, this one.  The folder icon gets a little (albeit rather obvious) flash of red when there are new posts in that forum.

Do you have images turned on?  Are you logged in?

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Who, me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2003-04-15 20:35:08 »

If you are talking about this forum, that would be a significant amount of deeper searching, I just checked and also every top level forum had new post.
I still have to open each one seperately, then go into each SUB-topic and then skip to the end to see the post.
This takes so long for so many forums I end up skipping most.
:-(

Eh.  Well, I guess it won't work for everybody! Grin  I tend to check for new messages every day, sometimes several times a day.  (Ah, the joys of being unemployed!)  If you only visit every week or so I can see there'd be quite a few new messages to read.

But if you don't want to miss any messages, it's the only way to do it at the moment.

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Who, me?

« Reply #12 - Posted 2003-04-15 20:41:53 »

Optimize further- use a tabbed browser and drop the windows thing altogether. Opera and I have been very happy together for a year or so now...

OT: Heh, I used someone's XP box for a while, and the IE windows all collated into one task-bar button *totally* didn't work the way I like to work! Grin  I tend to load a bunch of new links in new windows then run along the taskbar right-clicking and hitting X to maximise each one in turn.  Totally incompatible concept.

Never tried Opera's or Mozilla's tab-browsing system - I believe it's a lot better than IE's (all internal to one window).  All my email is NS4, and Mozilla Mail still had a few show-stopper bugs (for me) last time I tried it.  Gonna migrate to Firebird/Thunderbird ASAP though.

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Who, me?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2003-04-15 20:56:04 »

How about the admins just add the link I asked for. Cheesy

Sorry, yes.  I didn't intend to take over your thread - honest!

Call me a cynic, but after a while I just decided to adapt.  Jeff and SG are busy people, and I realised I could get along fine without the old board's features.  But I realise that won't hold true for everyone. :-/

Offline shawnkendall

Senior Duke

« Reply #14 - Posted 2003-04-16 15:20:43 »

We have adapted, we are using the forums. :-/

We are simply saying, a small addition can heavily improve the forums use even for veterans here.
Imagine the improvement for the larger community.  
Should we just be quiet if we see something that we feel should be posted to "Suggestions"? :-)

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Who, me?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2003-04-16 16:43:54 »

Oh, absolutely!  I have no problem with wanting new features, and recognise that there are some features proposed that would make many people's lives easier.  I just wanted to point out that from experience SG doesn't have a lot of time to add things like that, but there are workarounds in the meantime.

On the whole, with hindsight, I think I could have phrased it a bit better... Grin Embarrassed

Don't mind me, I'll be in the corner...

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (39 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (29 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (28 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (57 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (56 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (48 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (64 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (78 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org