Some advice, having done exactly this approach to java muds several times before
1. Make every command have the following methods in addition to any others:
- shortdescription (one line)
- longdescription (paragraphs)
- infoOnArgument( int n ) (explains valid values for the nth arg, and tells you waht to put there)
2. Make a built-in help command (or not built-in, but always present) which:
- invoked with no args? Iterates over all commands, printing:
command - "help command" - shortdescription
- invoked with one arg? finds that command and prints the short desc and long desc and number of args
- invoked with two args? finds that command and prints the infoOnArgument for the arg named by the second arg to help (either an index or a name if you're using named-args)
3. Append "no such command!" with "type help for a list of commands"
4. Even better, alias "?" to typing "help"