games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  The Java 4K Archive  (Read 1567 times)
Offline woogley
« Posted 2005-02-26 21:35:23 »

First off, let me go ahead and say this is definitely the best J4K we've ever had. A community that comes together and creates 40 great games in a matter of a few months is definitely something to brag about! I've been looking at sites that refer to my J4K page, and let me tell you- J4K has earned lots of attention this year. So thanks to all who created games this year for the contest, you've made it a success! Cheesy

I have been working hard on an entire J4K site in preparation for next year. It will be much better than some game page that was merely thrown together at the last minute. I have the whole system database driven - with comments, user ratings, and a much more certain way to submit games. I'm hoping this will boost the participation in the next J4K contest.

I would like to keep an archive of this year's games (and I'll be looking to find games from earlier J4K's) to put on the site for everyone to play. Unfortunately sites of people who make the J4K games go down, have a domain change, or just simply dissappear. I would like, therefore, to keep a copy of all the games on my computer and server. I'm sure there might be some people who have a problem with me just freely keeping a copy and showcasing them on a site, so I'm going to ask permission sort-of.

Basically, I'm going to go ahead and assume it is alright with everyone that I keep a copy of your game on my machine. If you, as the game owner, have a problem with me keeping a copy of your game, please let me know via e-mail, PM, IM, a reply on this thread, whatever. I'll remove it from my machine immediately. Before any of you say "no"... let me clear up some things:

• Your name will be included in the archive as the creater of your game
  • The original URL of the game, if its still alive, will be displayed in the archive
  • I will not be selling these games or gain personal profit in any way.

So please let me know if you do not want your game copied to my machine! I will be collecting this year's games sometime between now and March 1st.

Also, if you have some extra suggestions for the J4K site, go ahead and post them here. I'm always open to new ideas!
Thanks! Smiley
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-02-26 23:53:04 »

In case anyone's wondering, yes this will all be duplicated on JGF too. Woogley didn't want to do his 4k site as part of JGF, but we've got to do all the code and DB support etc anyway on JGF (competition archives + details + announcements are needed for the JGF competition and the other java comps; free game hosting, well ... that's the raison d'etre for JGF in the first place Wink. AFAIAA 4k entries will all work fine on JGF right now).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-02-27 00:17:11 »

Great idea!  You have my permission no problem.  I'm already looking forward to next year, this contest is a blast!

I was wondering since my game is an applet if that would cause a problem; it's runnable from the cmd line using applet viewer.  I could zip it with a batch file or include the html to display it for inclusion in the archive.  Let me know...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline woogley
« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-02-27 00:42:13 »

Woogley didn't want to do his 4k site as part of JGF

not quite true Wink. we were in the middle of discussing what I would be doing on JGF and the emails kind of stopped for some reason. I never said I dont want to create the site in junction with JGF. In fact I've fully intended to talk to you about the 4K site after the contest has completed. So we'll have to bring back up what we were talking about later Smiley

edit: and actually another reason I'm reluctant to affiliate with JGF because it's still in an early stage. Not to mention a blatant hate for Internet Explorer. Some people could abandon your site entirely because of the viscious stabs at IE (e.g. "**** you MS" in your comments) :-/. Don't blame IE for your design flaws until IE STILL messes up after you have met the W3C standards, which Firefox is completely a slave too Wink. That's why I have never had a problem with IE or Firefox. I'm sure when JGF really gets on its feet (probably before the next contest starts), I'll be working with JGF with more confidence Cheesy

I was wondering since my game is an applet if that would cause a problem

It shouldn't be a problem. I plan on making every entry webstartable. It would make life easier if you made it an application. But if this is inconvenient for you, don't worry about it, you're not the only 4K applet Smiley. MeatFighter and Bombnet are applets as well.
Offline Daniel_F

Projects: 2

Java games rock!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-02-27 06:52:34 »

Also, if you have some extra suggestions for the J4K site, go ahead and post them here. I'm always open to new ideas!
Thanks! Smiley

Maybe consider the 16K with LWJGL suggestion from the other thread?

(or intros/demos, although they are not games Roll Eyes, but even assembly 4k ha rules for java4k, although there are very few I could found on the net (obviously Grin))
Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-02-27 16:31:28 »

Do what you want with Chopper4k.

Dan Wink
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-02-28 00:48:50 »

Don't blame IE for your design flaws until IE STILL messes up after you have met the W3C standards, which Firefox is completely a slave too Wink. That's why I have never had a problem with IE or Firefox.

Sadly due to crap like IE the W3C standards can't be followed anymore.  All new browsers are ignoring the standards in certain places as well, since if they DO follow the standards they don't render the page the same as IE.. and Stupid Web programmers (i.e. most of them) don't know enough to avoid browser specific rendering gitches and assume that IE is doing the right thing.

What we need is a web server that has a built-in validator and won't sever any page that doesn't validate. Smiley

Offline woogley
« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-02-28 23:11:29 »

Sadly due to crap like IE the W3C standards can't be followed anymore.  All new browsers are ignoring the standards in certain places as well, since if they DO follow the standards they don't render the page the same as IE.. and Stupid Web programmers (i.e. most of them) don't know enough to avoid browser specific rendering gitches and assume that IE is doing the right thing.

Heh alot of truth in that. However W3C is a good middle-ground that for the most part, IE and newer browsers can render.. decently. From the sites I've done for businesses.. I can't remember the last time I didn't have to make some browser-specific optimisations.. even the silly 4K game list has a script! From what I can tell, the only "good" feature IE has that W3C (and in turn, Mozilla) doesn't support is colored scrollbars. Lips Sealed
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 12
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-03-01 11:02:38 »

You're free to put a copy of both hunters4k and dungeon4k  on your site. =) Good initiative.

Play Minecraft!
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (22 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (17 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (31 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (15 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (31 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (57 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (115 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (214 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (182 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (189 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:05:20
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org