Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Java IDE  (Read 11615 times)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #30 - Posted 2005-11-23 14:29:48 »

In other news, the fact that the latest Eclipse stream-stable build supports linux's highlight-to-copy, middle-click-to-paste functionality has caused me to soil myself with pleasure.

If I understand correctly, this is the bug no-one believed me existed, until vektor (?) in #lwjgl took pity and explored further, and found the cause of the bug and got it fixed. So, all thanks to him. And ... go visit #lwjgl!

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline ryanm

Projects: 1
Exp: 15 years

Used to be bleb

« Reply #31 - Posted 2005-11-23 15:35:37 »

no-one believed me

What a peculiar thing to doubt. Either you use Linux and are painfully aware of the problem, or don't use Linux and have no idea if the problem is there or not.

Do you normally have such a problem with your credibility? Grin
Offline g666

« Reply #32 - Posted 2005-11-23 21:47:53 »

Well, that does it. I'm going to go get Eclipse and ditch JCreator...

Me too. Only thing is, i keep hearing eclipse is slow. :/ I found a nasty crashing bug in jcreator.

desperately seeking sanity
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #33 - Posted 2005-11-24 00:22:51 »

no-one believed me

What a peculiar thing to doubt.
Do you normally have such a problem with your credibility? Grin

I find so many bugs  that so many other people don't that people generally have a hard time believing me.

And, of course, there's the occasional high-profile DOH! where I am convinced someting is a bug, and it turns out to be my own fault Grin

EDIT: when I demonstrated (but it was damn hard! Required thrashing the crap out of it) that there was *almost certainly* bug in the JVM's modulus processing code (JVM internal crash), the sun engineer didn't believe me. I managed to convince two professors of Computer Science at Cambridge University, but ... not the sun enineer. LOL. In the end, I rewrote the code to call a manual modulus (yes, I wrote an emulated modulus function. ugh) and it never ever crashed again.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 390
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #34 - Posted 2005-11-24 12:05:49 »

I checked again with the client VM on Windows and it's definitely still a lot slower on the Mac. In particular on the Mac I see little "Waiting" cursors appearing all over the place and progress bars that just don't have time to appear on the PC.

Will all be moot in a few years when all the Macs are using the Sun JVM anyway.

Cas Smiley

Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 50

« Reply #35 - Posted 2005-11-24 13:47:26 »

I like Netbeans better than Eclipse, mainly because they changed position in complexity with NB 4.X and Eclipse 3.X. Eclipse gets more complicated with each release while Netbeans gets more easier (don't get me wrong, netbeans could not get any more complicated than it was in the 3.X series ;-), so this might not be big news...)

Also the Netbeans performance gets better and better and I find Eclipse to be slower than Netbeans at least on Windows. The code completion however is slow at default settings, you have to turn off autopopup and autopopup of the javadocs to get it usable. Featurewise Eclipse is still in front (especially refactoring, navigation gets on par with NB 5.X), but both IDEs don't cut it in speed, navigation and refactoring compared to IDEA 5.X, wich I use at work.

All in all it's a matter of taste, all three IDEs I've used get the work done...

cylab

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #36 - Posted 2005-11-24 15:06:56 »

Will all be moot in a few years when all the Macs are using the Sun JVM anyway.

I think they are basically using HotSpot with a PowerPC code generator.  Sort of sad that they are forced to go to Intel,  then nobody will make anything with a decent processor Sad.  Maybe Intel will switch to the proper byte ordering and add 16 more registers Smiley

Oh well.  I will have to do more side by side comparisons with Eclipse on Mac vs. PC.  Have you tried compiling your project with just Ant on both platforms to measure the difference sans-IDE?

Offline bytor39

Junior Newbie

« Reply #37 - Posted 2006-03-22 04:49:11 »

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I kind of wanted to give an update on eclipse.

This time last year I swore by Eclipse - there was nothing better, but here recently I've been using Netbeans.  Why?  The editor in eclipse doesn't support generic types, and won't even let the compiler have at the code!!!

After using vim and bash for a while, I finally dedicated myself to finding and using a different IDE and Netbeans is, hands down, the best IDE on the market at this point.  It has an eclipse-ish l&f, isn't bitchy about a 'workspace' location, has a stable, built-in gui editor, supports generic types(<sarcasm>don't know why i should have expected that!</sarcasm>), and has plugins for just about everything - including a noted profiler (appeared in Dr. Dobbs issue #381), and is FREE!!!

I strongly encourage all you eclipse junkies to head out and try Netbeans! Wink
Offline noblemaster

JGO Ninja

Medals: 20
Projects: 10

Age of Conquest makes your day!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2006-03-22 09:38:20 »

Eclipse supports generics for me  Huh  Did you set your project to use JDK 1.5?

Offline CaptainJester

JGO Knight

Medals: 12
Projects: 2
Exp: 14 years

Make it work; make it better.

« Reply #39 - Posted 2006-03-22 11:49:56 »

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I kind of wanted to give an update on eclipse.

This time last year I swore by Eclipse - there was nothing better, but here recently I've been using Netbeans.  Why?  The editor in eclipse doesn't support generic types, and won't even let the compiler have at the code!!!

After using vim and bash for a while, I finally dedicated myself to finding and using a different IDE and Netbeans is, hands down, the best IDE on the market at this point.  It has an eclipse-ish l&f, isn't bitchy about a 'workspace' location, has a stable, built-in gui editor, supports generic types(<sarcasm>don't know why i should have expected that!</sarcasm>), and has plugins for just about everything - including a noted profiler (appeared in Dr. Dobbs issue #381), and is FREE!!!

I strongly encourage all you eclipse junkies to head out and try Netbeans! Wink
Eclipse has been supporting generics since version 3.0.  You need to define what type of class file you are using in your project.  The default, which you can change, is configured to v1.4 on installation.  You can change it to use 1.5 all the time or leave it at 1.4 and change to 1.5 on a project by project basis.

Learn to check how a tool works before bashing it.  Or at least ask someone to help.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline bytor39

Junior Newbie

« Reply #40 - Posted 2006-03-24 05:47:32 »

Eclipse supports generics for me  Huh  Did you set your project to use JDK 1.5?
I did do this.

Maybe it's the version number.  The last stable version in portage is 3.0.1-r2.

Wow...it'd be really nice if I had a screenshot to back this up.

EDIT: Link added.
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #41 - Posted 2006-03-24 06:36:16 »

latest release is 3.1.2, and milestone is at 3.2.5

Offline kaffiene
« Reply #42 - Posted 2006-06-28 01:04:04 »

Eclipse has been supporting generics since version 3.0.  You need to define what type of class file you are using in your project.  The default, which you can change, is configured to v1.4 on installation.  You can change it to use 1.5 all the time or leave it at 1.4 and change to 1.5 on a project by project basis.

Learn to check how a tool works before bashing it.  Or at least ask someone to help.

There was a considerable period when Netbeans supported Java1.5 and Eclipse didn't.  It's possible that this is what the OP was referring to.  It's certainly what made me switch to NB initially.
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #43 - Posted 2006-07-30 01:50:06 »

I like JBuilder2005 the best. I perfer the interface, and it makes everything accessable. Eclipse... I dont really like the curves of that programming environment nor the interface in gneral. And the way it compiles, i dont like...

Offline Anon666

aka Abuse/AbU5e/TehJumpingJawa

« Reply #44 - Posted 2006-08-02 13:23:24 »

And the way it compiles, i dont like...

Does JBuilder not have a background compiler???
I thought that was an absolutely pivotal feature of any advanced IDE;
otherwise, you lose all kinds of life/time-saving features (code navigation, refactoring, automated code generation, typed searching, heirarchy visualizing etc etc etc)
Offline cylab

JGO Ninja

Medals: 50

« Reply #45 - Posted 2006-08-02 13:52:39 »

In fact I only know eclipse having that feature. Most other IDEs use a java source model generated by a parser.

Mathias - I Know What [you] Did Last Summer!
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #46 - Posted 2006-08-04 00:08:31 »

The background compiling in Eclipse rules.  It's such a time saver.. it's one of the things I miss the most when I work in NetBeans.

Offline pepijnve

Java games rock!

« Reply #47 - Posted 2006-08-04 06:39:58 »

For some reason that's the exact feature that always seems to bug me the most. Can't say I have a rational explanation for it though Cheesy I prefer the Intellij way of incremental compilation (i.e. it only compiles changed files, or files with dependencies on changed files). Does netbeans recompile your entire project every time?
Offline DarkMortar

Java Padawan

« Reply #48 - Posted 2006-08-05 08:50:33 »

Nvm, I like Eclipse better now. I was just saying I think JBuilder... LOOKs better... in my opionon.

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Pippogeek (39 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (30 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (19 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (45 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (28 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (63 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (33 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (41 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (50 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (54 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org