Games in Android Showcase (120)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Using 2 wireless accesspoints simultaneously  (Read 1793 times)
Offline dranonymous

Junior Duke

Hoping to become a Java Titan someday!

« Posted 2005-02-05 01:53:37 »

I have 2 wireless routers (a netgear and a dlink).  Since I have 2 laptops with wireless access, is there a way to set things up so one laptop uses one frequency of the 802.11 spectrum with one router and the other laptop uses a different spectrum with the second router?

Thanks,
Dr. A>
Offline JuddMan

Senior Duke

Medals: 1

Your Ad Here

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-02-13 00:45:37 »

you can set the channel in the router's properties from 1 to 12, higher is sometimes possible but not all wireless devices support higher than 12. you can usually log in to the router and change settings by directing your browser to it's IP address.

you may also want to use a diferent network SSID for each router, otherwise the laptops may just log into whichever router it finds first when scanning.

are you planning on heavy use of the wireless network? i find that when transferring files between my two pc's here at home even with only one on the wireless, it's much quicker just to plug it in to the cable. i mainly use my wireless for internet access, and i have a PDA and a laptop, both can use it at the same time without any problems.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-02-13 08:17:57 »

are you planning on heavy use of the wireless network? i find that when transferring files between my two pc's here at home even with only one on the wireless, it's much quicker just to plug it in to the cable..

Yes, most peoiple have 54 Mbps wireless, and everyone has 100 Mbps wired Smiley (even if your wireless were running at full speed, which it rarely does e.g. if you have a microwave in the house, or a cordless phone, etc etc).

Wireless networking in home and office == one of the most stupid ideas ever.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Virum

Junior Duke

Like a leaf in an icy world, memories will fade

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-02-13 09:17:30 »

It's nice for laptops, my mom and sister can take theirs wherever they want throughout the house and we don't have to worry about wires. Tongue

For heavy duty transferring, plugging in the cable is best, unless you don't mind waiting. Tongue

It's time to prove to your friends that your worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lotta people.

Blog
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-02-13 11:04:06 »

It's nice for laptops, my mom and sister can take theirs wherever they want throughout the house and we don't have to worry about wires. Tongue

For heavy duty transferring, plugging in the cable is best, unless you don't mind waiting. Tongue

But that's precisely the problem: you DO have to worry about wires, unless you have a megawatt laser beam in your room that turns you into fried chicken if you ever walk through it (currently no easy way to get power around wirelessly without hitting everything alonmg the way)

If you have a small ibook and dont play games, then you may have enough battery power to last 3 hours. Certainly, nowhere near long enough to use it and then leave it sitting on the table - do that, and when you come back it will be dead as a dodo.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161