Games in Android Showcase (121)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (577)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Do you listen to music when you code?  Which  (Read 5002 times)
Offline Virum

Junior Duke

Like a leaf in an icy world, memories will fade

« Posted 2005-01-19 01:22:34 »

Heh, my first thread since coming back.  Roll Eyes  Yes, I'm bored. Tongue

Anyways, the typical generic thread about who listens to music when they work and who doesn't.

Also, we might as well go the generic route and post which bands/groups we like. Tongue
------------------------

I usually listen to music when I code, but it depends.  If I know what I want to do and I'm just going along with the coding I'll have music going.  If I come across a little problem, I'll leave the music going (might turn it down), but if I run into a real head-against-the-wall-basher I'll turn it off, and then turn it back on when I solve it.

Some bands I like (pretty much in order of favorite to just under favorite Wink):

Blind Guardian
Sonata Arctica (tie with BG actually)
Nirvana
Nightwish
Linkin Park  <<< Even for all the angst. Tongue
Evanescence

I didn't really start listening to music until recently, so I'm still finding what I like.  It seems I dig the european power metal though. Cheesy  I'm sure I left out a few, but those are pretty much the main ones.

It's time to prove to your friends that your worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lotta people.

Blog
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-01-19 03:41:53 »

No bands in particular - but depending on mood I usually listen to:
Trip-hop/downbeat - listen to Monkeyradio 75% of the time (http://207.200.96.226:8038/listen.pls)
Trance
Psychedelic Techno (ie. Infected Mushroom)

I guess I basically listen to music all the time, and change the type of music to the type of coding I am doing - I rarely turn the music off.

Offline Herkules

Senior Duke

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-01-19 06:50:53 »

I need silence.

When you have 4 kids, you enjoy every second of silence!

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-01-19 07:59:39 »

No music while coding for me. It distracts me too much.

When I don't code, I listen to things like George Clinton & P-Funk All-Stars (+ the old Parliament and Funkadelic), Bootsy, Prince, Fishbone, Zap Mama, Erykah Badu, James Brown etc...

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-01-19 09:04:55 »

I've either got music on in the background, or watching a DVD out of the corner of my eye.  Unless on a train or in the office - I find just screaming constantly is best in those situations.

My music tastes are impossible to define, however.  My likes include Republica, Bob Marley, System of a Down, Moloko, female vocalists in general, Blues in general, anything Disco-ey.  All a bit of a mess.

Edit: Yes, "Disco".  Not "Dicso"...

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Senior Duke

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-01-19 09:13:39 »

I tug my womanhood while coding.
I'm not joking either. It's a habbit of mine which I should kick before I get cought out.

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline Grazer

Junior Duke

My other avatar is much more flattering.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-01-19 09:24:11 »

I have almost all of my CD collection (200+ albums) on MP3 CDs at work.
Used to listen to music constantly at work, but seem to be less the last few months.
Maybe because I moved from the corner of the office to the middle, so there's a lot more talking to listen to.
Also, my headphone's padding has died after 5 years faithful service, which makes them uncomfortable after about an hour.

Music selection: very eclectic, spanning most genres except heavy metal and classical.

Here's some favourites.
Look them up - they're all good!  Cool

Rock: Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters, You Am I
Funk: Parliament, Jamouraqai, G Love And Special Sauce
Pop: Ben Lee, Spearhead, Cat Empire
Dance: Ministry of Sound comps, Pnau
Electronica: Fatboy Slim, Moloko, Lamb
Alternative: Bjork, Regurgitator
Acid Jazz: Down to the Bone, Rebirth of Cool comps, D.I.G., Incognito

As you can see, I like a lot of music.  Tongue

erikd: When I put "Make My Funk the P-Funk" on, I literally jump up and down in my seat - must look quite weird, but who can help it? "You gots to get funked up!"

Matzon: Great station. Had it on 20 minutes now and love every song. Thanks for the tip!

Current Project: Easy Decal
Other Stuff: grlea online
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-01-19 09:41:32 »

erikd: When I put "Make My Funk the P-Funk" on, I literally jump up and down in my seat - must look quite weird, but who can help it? "You gots to get funked up!"

Right on!  Cool
I thought his last one ("The awesome power of a fully operational mothership") was totally awesome, so I'm still waiting for his new album "How late do you have to be before you're absent" Smiley

I should add some more music when I think about it:
Michael Franti/Spearhead, Silje Nergaart, Bob Marley, Jamiroquai, David Bowie, Miles Davis

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 409
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-01-19 10:43:09 »

We've got 60GB of music on our dev server and we listen to it constantly, now through our brand new super swanky speakers that I won from that game compo last year!

Right now I'm listening to DJ Vadim, having just played Dandy Warhols, and next I suspect it'll be Mr Bungle.

Cas Smiley

8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161