Games in Android Showcase (89)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (466)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Do you listen to music when you code?  Which  (Read 4575 times)
Offline Virum

Like a leaf in an icy world, memories will fade

« Posted 2005-01-19 02:22:34 »

Heh, my first thread since coming back.  Roll Eyes  Yes, I'm bored. Tongue

Anyways, the typical generic thread about who listens to music when they work and who doesn't.

Also, we might as well go the generic route and post which bands/groups we like. Tongue
------------------------

I usually listen to music when I code, but it depends.  If I know what I want to do and I'm just going along with the coding I'll have music going.  If I come across a little problem, I'll leave the music going (might turn it down), but if I run into a real head-against-the-wall-basher I'll turn it off, and then turn it back on when I solve it.

Some bands I like (pretty much in order of favorite to just under favorite Wink):

Blind Guardian
Sonata Arctica (tie with BG actually)
Nirvana
Nightwish
Linkin Park  <<< Even for all the angst. Tongue
Evanescence

I didn't really start listening to music until recently, so I'm still finding what I like.  It seems I dig the european power metal though. Cheesy  I'm sure I left out a few, but those are pretty much the main ones.

It's time to prove to your friends that your worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lotta people.

Blog
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2005-01-19 04:41:53 »

No bands in particular - but depending on mood I usually listen to:
Trip-hop/downbeat - listen to Monkeyradio 75% of the time (http://207.200.96.226:8038/listen.pls)
Trance
Psychedelic Techno (ie. Infected Mushroom)

I guess I basically listen to music all the time, and change the type of music to the type of coding I am doing - I rarely turn the music off.

Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2005-01-19 07:50:53 »

I need silence.

When you have 4 kids, you enjoy every second of silence!

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 15
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #3 - Posted 2005-01-19 08:59:39 »

No music while coding for me. It distracts me too much.

When I don't code, I listen to things like George Clinton & P-Funk All-Stars (+ the old Parliament and Funkadelic), Bootsy, Prince, Fishbone, Zap Mama, Erykah Badu, James Brown etc...

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2005-01-19 10:04:55 »

I've either got music on in the background, or watching a DVD out of the corner of my eye.  Unless on a train or in the office - I find just screaming constantly is best in those situations.

My music tastes are impossible to define, however.  My likes include Republica, Bob Marley, System of a Down, Moloko, female vocalists in general, Blues in general, anything Disco-ey.  All a bit of a mess.

Edit: Yes, "Disco".  Not "Dicso"...

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline K.I.L.E.R

Java games rock!

« Reply #5 - Posted 2005-01-19 10:13:39 »

I tug my womanhood while coding.
I'm not joking either. It's a habbit of mine which I should kick before I get cought out.

Vorax:
Is there a name for a "redneck" programmer?

Jeff:
Unemployed. Wink
Offline Grazer

My other avatar is much more flattering.

« Reply #6 - Posted 2005-01-19 10:24:11 »

I have almost all of my CD collection (200+ albums) on MP3 CDs at work.
Used to listen to music constantly at work, but seem to be less the last few months.
Maybe because I moved from the corner of the office to the middle, so there's a lot more talking to listen to.
Also, my headphone's padding has died after 5 years faithful service, which makes them uncomfortable after about an hour.

Music selection: very eclectic, spanning most genres except heavy metal and classical.

Here's some favourites.
Look them up - they're all good!  Cool

Rock: Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters, You Am I
Funk: Parliament, Jamouraqai, G Love And Special Sauce
Pop: Ben Lee, Spearhead, Cat Empire
Dance: Ministry of Sound comps, Pnau
Electronica: Fatboy Slim, Moloko, Lamb
Alternative: Bjork, Regurgitator
Acid Jazz: Down to the Bone, Rebirth of Cool comps, D.I.G., Incognito

As you can see, I like a lot of music.  Tongue

erikd: When I put "Make My Funk the P-Funk" on, I literally jump up and down in my seat - must look quite weird, but who can help it? "You gots to get funked up!"

Matzon: Great station. Had it on 20 minutes now and love every song. Thanks for the tip!

Current Project: Easy Decal
Other Stuff: grlea online
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #7 - Posted 2005-01-19 10:41:32 »

erikd: When I put "Make My Funk the P-Funk" on, I literally jump up and down in my seat - must look quite weird, but who can help it? "You gots to get funked up!"

Right on!  Cool
I thought his last one ("The awesome power of a fully operational mothership") was totally awesome, so I'm still waiting for his new album "How late do you have to be before you're absent" Smiley

I should add some more music when I think about it:
Michael Franti/Spearhead, Silje Nergaart, Bob Marley, Jamiroquai, David Bowie, Miles Davis

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 284
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #8 - Posted 2005-01-19 11:43:09 »

We've got 60GB of music on our dev server and we listen to it constantly, now through our brand new super swanky speakers that I won from that game compo last year!

Right now I'm listening to DJ Vadim, having just played Dandy Warhols, and next I suspect it'll be Mr Bungle.

Cas Smiley

kul_th_las
« Reply #9 - Posted 2005-01-19 13:38:07 »

I usually just put it on "random", and wait for something that strikes the mood just right, and then turn the random off and listen to the rest of the album.

Certainly not exclusively, but often my coding takes on a rock slant, e.g.
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Audioslave
Blaze
Psycho Motel
Queensryche

But I do like variety once in a while, e.g.
Tori Amos
Billy Joel
Radiohead
The Pixies
David Bowie
ABBA (pure melodic genius, I tell you)
Enya
A litte Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath once in a while

Feel free to mock my music interests. I'm a pathetic fool, I know. Tongue
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Chman

Nothing more that... Java games are cool !

« Reply #10 - Posted 2005-01-19 14:14:56 »

I listen to music constantly... Every time...
So, yes, , I listen to musci when I code Wink

All sort of music :
Trance - mainly on DigitallyImported radio
Rock/metal - Dire Straits, Deep purple, Led Zep/Nostromo, Byatis, Gojira, etc
Ambient - A Silver Mount Zion, Enya, Agalloch
A lot of OSTs - Gladiator, Belleville rendez-vous, Hellsing, Elfen Lied, Buena Vista Social Club, Donnie Darko, well, too much...

I won't be able to list all that I listen to, it would take some more pages Smiley
Chman
Offline weston

« Reply #11 - Posted 2005-01-19 14:17:48 »

I pretty much always listen except for when I'm first starting a new project. I find it distracting whenever I'm trying to think and get things down on paper. If I do feel like the music is distracting me, I generally put on something techno with no words, or something foreign so I can't understand them.

I listen to the following quite a lot, in no particular order:

Forest for the trees
Sublime
Nine Inch Nails
White Zombie
Rammstein
Fatboy Slim
Pharcyde
Judas Priest
Kansas
Royal Crown Review

for(int i = 1; i > 0; i++)
{
System.out.println(i+" cups of java downed");
}
Offline DrBizzar0

Raj raj!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2005-01-19 18:43:04 »

Most of the time I don't listen to music while coding, the reason for this is not that I get distracted though, but rather being concentrated and "forgeting" to play music. Cool

When I do "remember" to play music it usually is non-vocal guitar based (Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai, Sigur Rós & Hovercraft) or synth and EBM which only features repetetive samples as vocals (Feindflug, Flesh Field & Fleishklump). The reason for this is that I find most lyrics stupid/crappy or pretentious.

I'm not fanatic about lyrics though. I also listen to alot of music featuring vocals (probably more than 50% of the time Roll Eyes), since there's alot of great music which has lyrics but I tend to ignore the meaning of them, viewing the vocals as an instrument only.

As for genres I'm not bound by them, but rather listen to songs I like regardles of genre. The genres that seems to contain most songs I like is Lo-fi, Synth Pop, Electro, EBM, Hip-Hop, Punk-Rock and Metal.
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #13 - Posted 2005-01-19 20:06:37 »

OOOOHHHH!  Good thread!

- Arockalypse
- Powerman 5000
- The Crystal Method
- Chemical Bros.
- Video game soundtracks (JSRF is AMAZING!)
- Garbage
- Beastie Boys
- Quarshi
- Beck
- 8-Bit Weapon Wink
- PAUL OAKENFOLD
- The Prodigy
- Rob Zombie

Basically, anything that is loud and moves at 120bpm.  Side effect of Attention Deficit Disor....oh look!  A bird!

-ChrisM

Offline Virum

« Reply #14 - Posted 2005-01-19 20:37:20 »

OOOOHHHH!  Good thread!

Lol, thanks. Smiley  I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I've seen it elsewhere so I can't. Tongue

At least it's not another spambot!

Lol, looking through this thread, It seems I (once again) have the most selective and uncommon taste.

K.I.L.E.R:  That's just....  Shocked Huh.... lol.  Yes, you should stop before you get caught. Wink

kul_th_las: You like the Maiden, do you like Bruce Dickinson (not as the person himself, but as the seperate artist after he left Iron Maiden)?

I never really cared for his vocals, but one of my friends loves the Maiden and Bruce Dickinson both, so I'm curious.  In fact, he's the same guy that got me hooked on Blind Guardian and Sonata Arctica. Smiley

It's time to prove to your friends that your worth a damn. Sometimes that means dying; sometimes that means killing a whole lotta people.

Blog
Offline woogley
« Reply #15 - Posted 2005-01-19 21:06:28 »

judging by the replies, I'd say I'm probably one of the youngest people here.. seeing as Herkules has 4 kids and kul_th_las listens to Billy Joel Shocked

I tend to listen to music when I'm coding, but actually I'm not sure why I do because I pretty much ignore it anyway. Some bands I particuarly like...

Linkin Park
Staind
Nightwish
Green Day
Jimmy Eat World (sometimes...)
Hoobastank
New Found Glory
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #16 - Posted 2005-01-19 22:49:05 »

You know what this song needs.......

MORE COWBELL!  THAT'S RIGHT, YOU HEARD ME!  MORE COWBELL!

-ChrisM

Offline Virum

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-01-20 00:34:00 »

judging by the replies, I'd say I'm probably one of the youngest people here.. seeing as Herkules has 4 kids and kul_th_las listens to Billy Joel Shocked

You and me both. Wink  According to your profile, your 17 which is the same age as me.  My bday is in September, dunno which month your is in, so I'm not sure who is actually older.

I'm just really picky with my music. Sad  I don't like most stuff (as a result I didn't actually start listening to music until about a year and a half ago).

Another band I sometimes listen to is P.O.D. but I've pretty much stopped after their last album which sucked mightily IMHO.  Besides, I'm not a big fan of Christian music.

I guess I'm just not a typical teen with 50 bands I listen to all the time. Wink

I also note you are the only one to also like some of the bands I like. Cheesy

Blog
Offline woogley
« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-01-20 01:02:24 »

My bday is in September, dunno which month your is in, so I'm not sure who is actually older.

That makes me a little bit older, my bday is February 16.

I guess I'm just not a typical teen with 50 bands I listen to all the time. Wink

Yeah I'm the same way.. there aren't very many bands I constantly listen to except Linkin Park and Nightwish. Everything else seems to come and go really..

And then you have some that never come back.. like P.O.D., Shakira (gag), and Enrique (gag again), and I predict My Chemical Romance will do the same. Tongue
Offline javapunk

Senior Newbie

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-01-20 12:36:53 »

I have a $200 sound card and $10 speakers :-/ I end up listening to game loops, (If I can get audio working on my computer, who said linux is easy). Super Methane Brothers, Frozen Bubble, Monkey Island. That or I listen to radio.

JavaPunk
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-01-20 12:51:26 »

I'm listening to music most of the time when I code (server side or gaming). And I love listening to my Iriver flash player. That's so cool with OGG support and FM radio. Anyway, here is the music I listen to:

- Rush (my favorite)
- Genesis
- Yes
- Bjork
- U2
- Depeche Mode
- The Black Eyed Peas
- Led Zeplin
- Peter Gabriel
- The Prodigy

Offline desertrock

Senior Newbie

« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-01-20 13:45:09 »

- Rush (my favorite)

one of my favorites, too....
....your nick is taken from the signals album  Grin
Offline TheAnalogKid

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-01-20 13:51:32 »

You're right!  Cheesy

It's Canadian band! Are you from Canada? Me yes.

When I was looking for a nick name, I wasn't inspired at all and then I tought about this rush song and just found that this name sounds good for the kind of games I like to develop.

Do you like Genesis too?

Ho! and I forgot to mention Jane's Addiction. Their last album is excellent! Try it. This group has been inspired a lot by rush.

Offline woogley
« Reply #23 - Posted 2005-01-20 14:20:57 »

I've only heard one Rush song.. was pretty good song too. I can't remember the title.. I think it was "One Little Victory." Either way I heard it off a Need for Speed game
Offline phazer

Come get some

« Reply #24 - Posted 2005-01-20 15:29:25 »

Some good recommendations in this thread!  Smiley

My code music is mostly techno/electronica like Crystal Method, Prodigy, Adam F, Shpongle (weird and beautiful stuff!), Sven Väth (his old stuff), Hallucinogen, Covenant (vocals), Jarre, Jan Hammer (remember Miami Vice?), mixed trance (Lange, Sasha, Corsten etc.)

There are some decent rock/pop as well like K's Choice (some of their albums are excellent), Kent (Sweden's best band), Coldplay, Abba, Erasure, Def Leppard, Lighthouse family, The Knife (Sweden's second best band), Depeche, Lene Marlin

Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #25 - Posted 2005-01-20 16:43:59 »

K.I.L.E.R, my girlfriend does the same on occasion, very amusing Smiley

My tastes seem to mirror ChrisM's!  Almost all of that is what I listen to Smiley  The rest I'll have to try Smiley

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline desertrock

Senior Newbie

« Reply #26 - Posted 2005-01-21 12:28:53 »

You're right!  Cheesy

It's Canadian band! Are you from Canada? Me yes.
lot by rush.

nope. i'm from germany. AFASK rush isn't that popular there. have seen them last year on their 30th aniversary tour. it was amazing! it was the first  time since 10 years they played in germany

Do you like Genesis too?

know not so much from genesis, but like their  sound
Ho! and I forgot to mention Jane's Addiction. Their last album is excellent! Try it. This group has been inspired a lot by rush.

yeah, jane's addiction is cool. they rock!
Offline desertrock

Senior Newbie

« Reply #27 - Posted 2005-01-21 12:31:06 »

I've only heard one Rush song.. was pretty good song too. I can't remember the title.. I think it was "One Little Victory." Either way I heard it off a Need for Speed game

this song is from their latest album 'vapor trails'
Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #28 - Posted 2005-01-21 12:56:15 »

Lets see: at the moment cos I got them for christmas:
Snow Patrol
Maroon 5
Sissor Sister

Stuff in general I like:
Counting Crows
Travis
Norah Jones
Bon jovi
Bryan Adams*

plus quite alot of other stuff too.

*not sure I should admit this, oh well Grin

Dan.

Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #29 - Posted 2005-02-07 15:44:38 »

Lets see: at the moment cos I got them for christmas:
Snow Patrol
Maroon 5
Sissor Sister

Stuff in general I like:
Counting Crows
Travis
Norah Jones
Bon jovi
Bryan Adams*

plus quite alot of other stuff too.

*not sure I should admit this, oh well Grin

Dan.

Well, you already admitted you really like Bon Jovi Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

xsi3rr4x (75 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (68 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (80 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (65 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (81 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (105 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (165 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (261 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (210 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45

CJLetsGame (220 views)
2014-04-01 02:16:10
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org