News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  ignore  |  Print  
  JRE Download Size  (Read 14834 times)
Offline psiegel

Adamant about gaming.

« Reply #30 - Posted 2003-04-07 11:00:31 »

Oh, I don't fear SWT.  I just fear porting a crap load of code already written using AWT/Graphics2D.  I'm definitely willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on a product that will save me the hassle.  And honestly, using the Jet gui was a hell of a lot easier than trudging through websites and docs about gcj.

That said, I might consider gcj and SWT for future products.  I'd like to see some more examples of people going this route first though.  (Read: I'd rather someone else do the hard work for me.)  Smiley

Paul Siegel
Adamant Games, Inc.
http://www.adamantgames.com
Offline Spiff

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #31 - Posted 2003-05-12 16:16:43 »

Check out the size of the Windows 1.4.2beta JRE: 1.3MB
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #32 - Posted 2003-05-13 16:50:24 »

Well, we live in a world where Windows went from 98 to 2000, Solaris 2.8 is marketed as "Solaris 8" and reports 5.8 on a uname, SimCity went from 3000 to 4, and MPEG just missed out version 3 entirely...

I'm expecting Sun to start using complex numbers next...

Oh, hang on... Oracle 8.i... Shocked Grin

ROFL...

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #33 - Posted 2003-05-13 17:01:36 »

A.F. works on the majority of systems OEM drivers, but that only means 50% or more Smiley

Deploying Games On The Internet Essay

This essay has been written before on the 'net by shareware professionals (which I'm not, yet), and probably better than I've done it, but the gist of it should remain the same.

Ah, but Cas, you miss one critically important point...

I'm relying on everyone getting a JRE to play someone else's game, and then I can distribute smaller downloads than even you can with JET (you quote the JAR as being as much as 4Mb compared to JET's 5MB - I choose to see that as "wow; a 1Mb saving" Wink), and rest assured that most people already have the JRE.

Which is why I'll keep telling people that, since AF was written in Java, it "works better and you can get higher scores - but don't tell anyone" if you play it on a JRE Wink. LOL...

One of the advantages of the glacially slow pace of java releases (1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4) is that client penetration (oo-er!) is cumulative (OO-ER!), perhaps 75% so. So, we just need a few great java games to get those JRE's deployed, and we're away. When asking friends and family to alpha test my game, I find a lot of them are running windows and already have a JRE that can run quite a lot of stuff (assuming they grabbed the VM updates before MS was forced to stop distributing them to people who didn't have the latest VM already). As long as my game runs at all, they happily go and get a real jre.

I suspect this is because of the aforementioned video card drivers situation. If you are an NV user, then you gave up complaining about large and frequent and ESSENTIAL downloads years ago - every game-playing NV owner knows that you get those detonator updates sooner than ASAP, ESPECIALLY if you have any game problems (and you keep the old downloads, because you soon get used to having to downgrade to get half your apps to start working again Wink).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Themroc

« Reply #34 - Posted 2003-05-17 11:37:41 »

If you sell SW on your website, then make another option for the buyer to get the SW with JVM on CD, but ask $10 more for it. Everybody will be happy that they can save the $10 and giggle the whole 30 minutes they need to download the JVM with their modem.
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 380
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #35 - Posted 2003-05-17 12:24:21 »

For those interested, I will be offering the .JAR version alongside the .EXE version, and I'll be featuring a Get Java button on the website. The JAR version is of course the only one that runs on Linux, too Wink

Same goes for the full game.

Cas Smiley

Offline nech_neb

Java for LIFE !!!

« Reply #36 - Posted 2003-06-30 14:37:44 »

Check out the size of the Windows 1.4.2beta JRE: 1.3MB

Ya, I was checking that out !! and couldn't believe my eyes !!!

How does that work?? Did they cut out anything ??

On a side note, it might help their cause if SUN
made the JRE download process a little easier...
I mean, for a amature game designer like myself,
with not enough resources for real web hosting.
I can't serve the JRE along with my Game on
free web folder.

And to make matters worse,
I can't even put up a like that will directly download
a JRE from sun's site for people to click on...

Some people will just get turned away by the.
Fill out your info -> Read all this legal stuff ->
Agree on something you didn't read.

Why can't sun make a 1 click download for the JRE ?
Anyways, just my 2cents.
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #37 - Posted 2003-06-30 16:11:25 »

Ya, I was checking that out !! and couldn't believe my eyes !!!

How does that work?? Did they cut out anything ??

They didn't cut *too* much. Just the whole JRE. Tongue That download is the "online installer" download. When you run the installer, it contacts Sun's site and downloads the rest.

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline nech_neb

Java for LIFE !!!

« Reply #38 - Posted 2003-06-30 16:46:01 »

They didn't cut *too* much. Just the whole JRE. Tongue That download is the "online installer" download. When you run the installer, it contacts Sun's site and downloads the rest.

HAHA ^__^ Okay.... That explains a whole lot...
Silly me. .  

Shocked Shocked Shocked

1.4.2 is now 14.1 MBs .....
So much for cutting down the size .....
Offline Mark Thornton

« Reply #39 - Posted 2003-06-30 18:42:39 »

At least 1.4.2 was a lot quicker to download and install than the Windows 2000 updates I installed this week (which also required accepting licence agreements).
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline aikarele

Senior Newbie

« Reply #40 - Posted 2003-06-30 19:18:34 »

1.4.2 is now 14.1 MBs .....
So much for cutting down the size .....

The size of J2SE 1.4.2 Windows Offline Installation is 13.5 MBs. However, it includes tons of stuff that is not installed unless you choose a custom installation instead of the typical installation. The typical installation does not include non-European languages (18 MBs when installed) and additional font & media support (6 MB when installed), which are all part of the offline installation package.

So you definitely want to use the online installation, if you only want the typical installation...

Offline nech_neb

Java for LIFE !!!

« Reply #41 - Posted 2003-06-30 22:46:56 »

The size of J2SE 1.4.2 Windows Offline Installation is 13.5 MBs. However, it includes tons of stuff that is not installed unless you choose a custom installation instead of the typical installation. The typical installation does not include non-European languages (18 MBs when installed) and additional font & media support (6 MB when installed), which are all part of the offline installation package.

So you definitely want to use the online installation, if you only want the typical installation...

But the problem is with deploying..
the you much make the assumption that the
person you're deploying to have internet connection.
which is a big assumption....

Offline aikarele

Senior Newbie

« Reply #42 - Posted 2003-07-01 06:17:30 »

you much make the assumption that the
person you're deploying to have internet connection.

Yes, it is true that I assumed that download size only matters if you are actually going to download the JRE. If you are installing it from CD-ROM, who cares if it's 5, 10 or 50 megabytes?
Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 12

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #43 - Posted 2003-07-01 08:07:45 »

Bigger = Better Grin

Anyhow, theres nothing wrong with artificially bloating downloads.
It gives some motivation for narrowband users to upgrade.
I think its called 'progress'  Wink

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 151