News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  ignore  |  Print  
  J4K  (Read 48222 times)
Offline mlk

Muppet!

« Reply #240 - Posted 2005-03-08 23:43:10 »

The parameters / properties: I'm just pointing out they exist, no more than that. We can see that they are not passing extra information to the application, which is what the post aimed to do.

The "Failed" only means the judges should check that they are using the downloadable jar, not the web start version, as they are different (the class & data files). My (limited) testing showed that signing does NOT change class files, and as many people will take the convenience of a web start over a jar, the two should (IMO) be identical.

I can't be expected to remember everyone's post. Unless it was VERY clear (on wooglys game listing page; which lists 4ktris-FPS-1.0.jar as the entry) that the web start should not be considered identical to the downloadable jar, I took it as that they were.

Any that was sub 4k after I had a play, should be considered. I'll take it as I either downloaded the wrong version, or you have updated it, but not used the same compression techniques used for early submissions.

Offline woogley
« Reply #241 - Posted 2005-03-08 23:48:16 »

Unless it was VERY clear (on wooglys game listing page; which lists 4ktris-FPS-1.0.jar as the entry) that the web start should not be considered identical to the downloadable jar, I took it as that they were.

actually I had no clue he had a webstart for that game Lips Sealed
Offline mlk

Muppet!

« Reply #242 - Posted 2005-03-08 23:58:16 »

actually I had no clue he had a webstart for that game Lips Sealed

Odd, its the webstart thats linked Grin
Tis no problem thou.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #243 - Posted 2005-03-09 07:28:47 »

FYI: this really really annoyed me when testing. So far, I've only run approx 15-20 of the entries, partly because I couldn't find JAR's of the others (c.f previous post and my unforseen need to change laptop at last moment).

sorry Sad I did intend it to be an executable jar.  For some reason when I came back to it a after a gap of a few weeks (I was rushingto get it in at the end Sad ) it suddenly seemed to be a lot larger than before and I was in a rush to make the jar smaller.  The manifest was the first thing to go unfortunatly.

wrt the keys to use in the game I hopethat chopper4k wasn't one of the problems.  I thought i had put the keys to use on the initial screen that loads up.  

Shrug. I think that post-contest a lot of these games will make java look bad unless their authors fix them to be more user-friendly - most people will get bored with lots of games that either don't work or are incomprehensible.

If it's a problem I'll create a post-competition version that allows it to be webstarted downloaded (along with the competition version) and simple website to host it, rather than my current dumping ground for projects.

I guess that if there is going to carry on being this level of interest in contests then the rules will have to state how they should be run i.e. webstart

regards,
Dan.  
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 15
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #244 - Posted 2005-03-09 07:51:46 »

Surely the point of this competition was not to "make java look good"?

Play Minecraft!
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #245 - Posted 2005-03-09 15:30:01 »

Surely the point of this competition was not to "make java look good"?

Not for me, no, but some people have clearly stated here and elsewhere that for them it's certainly part of the purpose.

I'm just throwing out observations Smiley.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #246 - Posted 2005-03-09 20:57:41 »

To be honest I think it is important for the Java game programming community to focus on games that "look good" even if the game play is crap.  It is the audio visual experience that gets attention, and if you can make that impressive then decent game developers will implictly understand that they can put a good game behind it as well.  But it is the technical achievments primarily in terms of graphics performance that the general game dev community needs to see from Java to get them interested.

For example, I look at Wurm Online and think - hey that looks impressive.  Then I show it to a colleague that isn't so into Java and he mentions how *BAD* the graphics are compared to mainstream commercial games. (His words, I'm not taking a shot at the Wurm team - I couldn't come close to making anything nearly as good.)

This is heading way off-topic for this thread though.. so we can follow up somewhere else.  My point is that Java contests that focus on quality that can compare to mainstream game dev are more helpful for promoting Java game development.  The 4k contest has zero value for promoting commercial Java game developmet.  It's mainly just fun for the participants.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #247 - Posted 2005-03-09 23:07:33 »

The 4k contest has zero value for promoting commercial Java game developmet.  It's mainly just fun for the participants.

rubbish Tongue.

It makes the point strongly that developing java games let's you put a heck of a lot of game into a tiny amount of code (because you're cheating and have an extensive std lib installed already).

It also shows that you can get great performance without doing lots of hacking - in 4k, you don't have enough space to hack, you're relying very heavily on whatever the standard / basic service provided by the system is.

shrug.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #248 - Posted 2005-03-10 13:52:14 »

It makes the point strongly that developing java games let's you put a heck of a lot of game into a tiny amount of code (because you're cheating and have an extensive std lib installed already).

Ask Cas how significant this is in practice for commercial games, when you have to distribute a huge "std lib" Smiley

I would say it makes that point VERY weakly, since only tiny bits of the std libs are used by the games showcased.  Not one of the games in the contest has any significant commercial value in my opinion.. well maybe for mobile phones... but then you aren't dealing with the same std lib either Smiley

t also shows that you can get great performance without doing lots of hacking...

Replace "great" with "decent" and I agree... but the point is none of the games are actually doing anything significant enough to compete with a mainstream video game.  The fact that they get "great" performance when doing almost nothing required of a "real" commercial game is hardly relevant.

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 2

pixels! :x

« Reply #249 - Posted 2005-03-10 14:57:49 »

>It also shows that you can get great performance without
>doing lots of hacking

Uhm... most games sacrificed some speed in order to gain some bytes. My main loop for example is horrible inefficient Smiley

So what does it show? Uhm... you can put 16 tiny java games into one ping packet! Grin

Well, I think it was fun.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 165
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #250 - Posted 2005-03-10 15:03:19 »

I for one had a great time. I don't really think it matter too much why the games were written or who wins or why. Just that the contest was entered by a lot of people and we got to see some funky little games Smiley

Kev

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #251 - Posted 2005-03-10 15:58:36 »

I agree with Kev.   I think the community spirit it demonstrated is the most positive thing about the contest.  I would have liked to participate myself, because I know how fun it can be.  I even started a project, but sadly I had no time to finish it.

I'm looking forward to what happens with LWJGL16k and future contests.

Offline dsellars

Need to write more games

« Reply #252 - Posted 2005-03-10 16:06:45 »

For me it was about having a bit of fun too. (and cos Kev convinced me to do it Smiley )

If I had thought that the point was to showcase Java I probably wouldn't have entered (for the best you may think Wink )

just my 2p.
Dan
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #253 - Posted 2005-03-10 16:20:12 »

>It also shows that you can get great performance without
>doing lots of hacking

Uhm... most games sacrificed some speed in order to gain some bytes. My main loop for example is horrible inefficient Smiley

That's the point! Smiley. Every programmer knows that to squeeze into that much space, you can't do the high-performance stuff, so you're reliant on how fast the language/platform is in a fairly virginal state, and - especially with java - you're testing the ability of the runtime to make up for some bad compile-time stuff (how much can it patch up at runtime, when recompiling, what you screwed up at compile time in order to make your source smaller? Smiley)

Shrug.

Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #254 - Posted 2005-03-10 16:58:10 »

I think anyone who knows what the 'K' in java4k stands for understands that these are not commercial quality games  Wink .

My point is that Java contests that focus on quality that can compare to mainstream game dev are more helpful for promoting Java game development.

Is that promoting java gamedevelopement or promoting non java aspects such as amount of available cash for hiring the best artists?

The 4k contest has zero value for promoting commercial Java game developmet

Can't we just make 4k games and be happy?

Cry
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #255 - Posted 2005-03-10 17:30:24 »

Can't we just make 4k games and be happy?

Cry

Absolutely, I was just commenting on the fact that the point of the contest was not to "make java look good"?

Whereas, I think it would be a good idea to also have some contests where it is the point to make Java look good.

A general audience looking at the 4k entries is likely to say "Yep Java is still crap for games."   It takes very techie people to appreciate a 4k contest for what it is.  For that reason I think care should be used with how such a contest is marketed.  It's almost a bad thing for some people to see the contest entries in terms of the acceptance of java games, despite the direct benefits to the participants in terms of developing skills, learning tricks, the social aspect of participating, and the perhaps the ability to convince some real tech-heads that you can make a decent game, as far as 4k games go Smiley - with Java.

It would be nice to show (prove?) that Java's game making suitability does indeed extend beyond the (great) 4k toys that you see in this contest.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #256 - Posted 2005-03-10 18:40:53 »

A general audience looking at the 4k entries is likely to say "Yep Java is still crap for games."   It takes very techie people to appreciate a 4k contest for what it is.

Ach. I was implicitly thinking of games dvelopers looking at it. Sorry, crossed wires.

Offline javatypo

« Reply #257 - Posted 2005-03-13 12:04:44 »

Look alive, people! It seems Javalobby just noticed us.

wow that is cool! you guys should all become mobile games programmers. for what u cand do with 4k, you could make some sweet games.
Offline luisoft

JGO Coder

Projects: 6

Java games rock!

« Reply #258 - Posted 2005-03-13 23:39:05 »

where is the winner? it is supposed to be today the revelation
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #259 - Posted 2005-03-14 00:07:27 »

where is the winner? it is supposed to be today the revelation

Blah^3h asked for an extension. We probably won't have the results for another week or two. :-)

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline woogley
« Reply #260 - Posted 2005-03-14 00:33:17 »

March 5th was the first revelation date. Today was the EXTENDED revelation date.. another week or two is getting unreasonable. I understand he's at GDC but so is ChrisM and he managed to get his done way before the deadline... should we appoint a new judge?  :-/

or, preferably, blah^3.. give us an update?
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #261 - Posted 2005-03-14 03:01:10 »

Today was the EXTENDED revelation date..

Odd. I could have sworn he asked for a later date than today. For some reason the 16th is stuck in my head.

another week or two is getting unreasonable.

I'm probably exagerating the amount of time. I wasn't expecting him to be done until sometime this coming week, though.

I understand he's at GDC but so is ChrisM and he managed to get his done way before the deadline... should we appoint a new judge?  :-/

What's the hurry? There's no prizes to give away (other than dukes) and no one that I'm aware of is being inconvienenced. So what's the rush? The poor man's busy enough as it is! He said he'd need time, and everyone said that was ok. As long as he gets the scores in sometime in the near future, what's the big deal? Besides, it might give Chris a chance to go over some of the entries that he had to fail because he couldn't run them. :-)

or, preferably, blah^3.. give us an update?

Excellent idea. :-)

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #262 - Posted 2005-03-14 13:22:03 »

March 5th was the first revelation date. Today was the EXTENDED revelation date.. another week or two is getting unreasonable.

Um. I think you need to organize thinks a bit better before getting all excited about things like an unplanned, never-formally-decided judging date.  I had, in fact, said it might take to the 16th - and the various problems with running some of the games (which I'd posted about) drew the judging out somewhat.

I understand he's at GDC but so is ChrisM and he managed to get his done way before the deadline... should we appoint a new judge?  :-/

If you like. Bear in mind that one game so far doesn't seem to run on OS X at all, one is unplayable on linux and OS X for different reasons on each, two won't run without internet access, and several of the game websites were down so I couldn't access them at all.

If someone had handed out one copy of each game in a big zip file with all instructions and verified them on each OS already, then I'm sure the results would have been much quicker to compile. But to do each game justice as a judge does take time, even more so when each judge has to wade through the problems of merely running them.

I've given jbanes the almost-complete spreadsheet, but I would prefer (in the intersts of fairness) to have a couple more attempts at the games that weren't starting (preferably on a different OS for one of them).

PS: jbanes: the comments which are just numbers are recording which ones I played in-flight (altitude in feet); I thought some of the authors might be amused to know how high their games had been Wink.

PPS: thanks, everyone, for providing considerably better games than the crap that Virgin Atlantic has on their in-flight system. Some utter drivel from some crappy excuse for a games company.

Offline woogley
« Reply #263 - Posted 2005-03-14 18:29:34 »

good to hear you've actually HAD progess. I was afraid you hadnt gotten anywhere at all. I don't WANT to appoint a new judge, so since you say you're almost done there's definitely not a need for it.

if the game doesnt work on Mac.. deduct some points and resume judging that game on a windows machine. The end of the contest was the end Feb, it would be fair to the participants to give them results BEFORE the end of March if possible!
Offline woogley
« Reply #264 - Posted 2005-03-17 20:38:32 »

by the way I'm leaving for a week on Sunday (highschool senior trip..) so if the results finally come in, I'm sure jbanes is capable enough to take the numerical average of each vote Tongue

anyway, it would be nice to get the results this weekend.. it's been since the end of Feb since we STOPPED the contest o_o;
Offline Markus_Persson

JGO Wizard

Medals: 15
Projects: 19

Mojang Specifications

« Reply #265 - Posted 2005-03-21 05:47:30 »

.. well?

Play Minecraft!
Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #266 - Posted 2005-03-21 10:34:12 »

Since our judging/officiatig team is slow I'm posting my favorites:

1.  Neb4k - this game is just fun.  Probably the most complete game in the contest.

2.  Hunters4k - most technically impressive.  I'm not a big fan of the style of game play though.

3. T4XI - I realy like the fake 3d in this one; the controls are difficult for me though.

Honorable mentions:  Trek4k, Robotron 4096, Combat4k  Grin
Offline Morre

JGO Knight

Medals: 2
Projects: 10

I'm Dragonene on IRC.

« Reply #267 - Posted 2005-03-21 13:47:38 »

I know this might startle a few, but I'd have to say I like Stardodger 4k and Shot 4k most - not because the graphics are the most impressive, or because the technology is the most advanced, but because they're so addictive. The gameplay rocks.

Oh, and there are quite a few other ones I like as well, and a whole bunch that I haven't tried. Neb 4k, Ball 4k, GridRunner 4k... ah, to hell with it, I like all of kev's games >)

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #268 - Posted 2005-03-22 11:56:57 »

Final scores in - all execpt for Isolation, that every time I've tried I could find no-one else to play with.

Personal fave is Shot; very addictive. Although there are 7 or 8 others that really impressed co-workers a lot more (graphics, music, gameplay - each to his own).

And two never worked on any OS I tried it on (OS X, windows, and possibly linux too although I'm not sure) - Pang4k and JM4k. A few wouldn't run on OS X, and a few were really really hard to get to run (they each got -1 for that...)

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #269 - Posted 2005-03-22 12:21:57 »

PS: the big delay for getting in the final few scores was because:
- none of them worked on the first two computers I was using; either had special run instructions or just completely broken or just wouldn't run on OS X
- I got back from GDC and have been working non-stop 12-13 hours a day for the last 9 days; we had a soft-launch yesterday, final gold in approx 7 weeks. It's been...busy.

Sorry about that. On the other hand, if the games had been uniformly easy to run...

I was tempted to give up on 1 or 2 games that really made me, the player, jump through hoops just to run them, but I had a duty to at least *play* all of them and largely ignore that even if they drove me up the wall Sad. note to self: include an explicit "ease of installation / running / exiting" category in all future comps

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Grunnt (23 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (14 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (31 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (22 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (20 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (30 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06

BurntPizza (34 views)
2014-09-19 03:14:18

Dwinin (48 views)
2014-09-12 09:08:26

Norakomi (75 views)
2014-09-10 13:57:51

TehJavaDev (108 views)
2014-09-10 06:39:09
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org