Well...we actually wound up moving over to the Simple Machines forums.
Some highlights of their features list. There's some good stuff in there (stuff I couldn't find *anywhere* last time I was looking for forum software...)
* Advanced permission and user management.
* Tracking of new and old unread topics, not just from your last visit.
* Multi-media output. (XHTML, XML, RSS, WAP)
* Administrative actions require the user's password (and do not rely solely on cookies.)
* Ability to display page creation time and query count per page.
* Word censoring, either full word or partial.
Boards and Categories
* Group boards into collapsable categories.
* Reorder boards within categories, or reorder categories.
* Create child boards under other boards. (sub boards)
* Assign moderators to boards.
* Allow certain membergroups to access a board, including guests only.
* Configure permissions for each membergroup on the board level.
* Ability to indicate new posts to child boards but nothing new in parent.
* Require email authentication by sending an authentication link.
Member Tracking and Tracing
* Show all (error) messages and IPs made by a member. (track user)
* Show all (error) messages from an IP address or range. (track IP)
* See who's doing what (accessible by permission.)
News and Announcements
* Ability to create announcement boards (members receive a notification of topics automatically.)
* Show a news ticker or news fader.
* Ability to send a topic to a friend.
* Ability to view a "printer friendly" version of topics.
* Create membergroups to group members on permissions, access rights, and/or appearance.
* Assign several membergroups to a single member, with one membergroup as the primary group.
* Define membergroups that are auto-assigned based on the amount of posts a user has.
* Determine which membergroups are allowed to access a board.
* Ban members based on their username, email address, IP address or hostname.
* Chose between full ban, 'no post' ban, or registration ban.
* Include an expiration time for bans.
* Integrate parts of forum software into existing website using SSI or PHP.
o Recent topics or posts.
o Recent news posts in a board.
o Recent polls.
o Several forum statistics.
o List of users online.
o The menu bar.
o Today's events/birthdays/holidays.
* Export forum data using XML/RSS
o Latest members.
o Recent posts.
* Support for WAP, WAP2 and I-mode protocols.
* Quick Reply
* 'Insert Quote' feature on posting screen to quickly quote previous replies.
* Can be added or removed to existing topics.
* Polls can have up to 256 options.
* Allowed on a per member group or board basis.
* The filename can be encrypted to increase the security (so you can upload .php files, etc.)
* Images can be embedded into posts.
* Link an existing topic to the calendar.
* Events can span multiple days.
* Ability to lock and unlock a topic.
* Ability to allow members to use moderation on just topics they posted.
* "Report to moderator" link.
* Ability to Merge/Split topics.
* Recycle bin/board for all deleted topics and posts.
* Moderation log which shows moderation activity and disallows log removal outside of 1 day.
* Show new replies to your posts.
* Ability to view most recent messages.
* List all topics that have new replies since your last visit.
* See who is browsing the same boards or topics as you.
* Topics that span multiple pages have the page numbers listed as well as an "all" link.