games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  
  Where Are You?  (Read 19839 times)
Offline Grazer

Junior Devvie

My other avatar is much more flattering.

« Posted 2004-12-07 20:13:05 »

I think the question says it all.
I ordered it alphabetically so that whoever came last couldn't take offence. Wink

This thread might also be a good place to write something about what the games industry is like in your area, especially whether there's any professional Java games development going on.

Current Project: Easy Decal
Other Stuff: grlea online
Offline Mojomonkey

Senior Devvie

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-12-07 20:23:18 »

Puyallup, Washington, USA. South a bit of Seattle, Washington. Games industry is very strong here (i.e. Nintendo of America, Valve, Bungie, Microsoft Game, etc).

http://www.igda.org/seattle/developers.htm

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Offline ap_kelly

Junior Devvie

Java rocks!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-12-07 23:26:24 »

I'm in Sydney Australia, there is a games company in Melbourne, I think they did the latest Transformers game.  

Java is big over here (for business at least, no idea about games companies using it) , I see many jobs advertised for J2EE and Java skills. None for OpenGl and Java yet though, still, my fingers are crossed.

Andy.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-12-08 07:18:48 »

UK, near London.

As you'd expect, there are a number of game dev houses in this area.  The biggest concentration is around Guildford, where Bullfrog spun off numerous satellite companies like Lionhead, Big Blue Box etc.

P.S. I've heard tell that some odd people come from a funny-shaped country called "New Zealand".  I guess they're Australian, now? Tongue

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline Bombadil

Senior Devvie

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-12-08 07:31:36 »

I've been thinking the United Kingdom belongs to the continent named Europe, too... :-)

It's just that they don't want to be a full member of that thing called "European Union", for example no Euro currency, etc. But well, you can live without that (heartily greetings to Switzerland).
Offline Grazer

Junior Devvie

My other avatar is much more flattering.

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-12-08 07:49:52 »

So much for not causing offence.  Roll Eyes

As you may know, you can only enter up to eight options for a poll, so I chose those eight as they seemed the most sensible break-up.
I put USA and UK separate from their continents as I thought these might make up a high proportion of the developers in their continents and people would want to see them separate.

As for New Zealanders, <insert favourite sheep joke here>.
Just kidding, guys. Wink

Seriously, if your region/country doesn't fit within the bounds of the survey (e.g. Middle East? Pacific Islands? Antarctica?), just choose the closest one and then put up a post to say where you're really from - I'd love to know who's interested in game development outside these bounds!

So everybody be cool.
Just go with the flow.  Cool

Current Project: Easy Decal
Other Stuff: grlea online
Offline MasterDirk

Senior Newbie

Somebody set up us the bomb...

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-12-08 14:10:54 »

Norway, here. Bergen, to be exact. Look it up, should be under "rainiest city on Earth".

And now it's cold, too Smiley

Anyone got a high-paying, low-stress job for me in, say, Bali or Hawaii?

Didn't think so...
Online Spasi
« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-12-08 14:49:05 »

Alexandroupolis, northern Greece. No gaming here, no java action. Well, actually, no serious software developing at all in this weird country. Sad

Right now we're trying to set our little start-up on its feet. And that's thanks to the good EU, it provides the only support we'll ever get. Wink
Offline weston

Junior Devvie

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-12-09 04:00:19 »

Colorado, near Denver + school in Denver. I found a list with something like 40 game dev companies in colorado, so thats ok. Also, I went to a 'Colorado Game Developers' meeting a few days ago and one of the companies says they use java for all their games. I believe I've seen a person from the company on here once or twice...

for(int i = 1; i > 0; i++)
{
System.out.println(i+" cups of java downed");
}
Offline Chman

Junior Devvie

Nothing more that... Java games are cool !

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-12-11 15:44:36 »

France, near Paris Smiley

Chman
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Per_T

Senior Newbie

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-12-12 09:27:14 »

Sweden. Think we have two big game companies here: DICE (Battlefield etc.) and Massive (Ground Control).

We also have Agency9 and Meqon (physics engine).

The game industry seems to be sort of dead ATM, but lots of ppl are going these game educations, so that might change...
Offline darkprophet

Senior Devvie

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-12-12 19:42:31 »

Birmingham UK....Thats where i live

Im originally Iraqi but i have a New Zealand passport.....so stop those sheep jokes!  Tongue

Seriously, your walking down the street and you start seeing sheep randomly! IIRC, theres like 72 million sheep and around 3 million people....

Im actually quite terrified of the day when sheep get some proper brains!

As for game developers, not a clue! Im still at school (next year to university!  :-/....no more free food!)

I think ive rambled on enough here....DP

Friends don't let friends make MMORPGs.

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline Hauk

Junior Devvie

Guitar, Norse Mythology, java and women=life

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-12-12 20:16:07 »

I'm from Ireland, so I voted UK cos its the closest to home.

Ah well,

Hauk

I want to become a hermit and live in the harsh wastelands of Norway. I want to have a cloak made of bearskin and hunt the demons of the night.

I was born for a reason and am not about to lie down and die like the rest of you. Anybody with me?
Offline bauerr

Junior Devvie

Java!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-12-13 08:37:53 »

Germany.  Smiley
Offline aNt

Senior Devvie

AFK

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-12-13 08:43:28 »

london england- i think
Offline shawnkendall

Senior Devvie

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-12-13 17:38:51 »

WOW, USA makes up a measly 20% of the total; that is so awesome! (80s American slang, lost on international audience ;-))

Shawn Kendall
Cosmic Interactive, LLC
http://www.facebook.com/BermudaDash
Offline Mojomonkey

Senior Devvie

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-12-13 19:42:39 »

80s American slang, lost on international audience

What's scary is how many people I thought were from the US that aren't, soley based on their use of American slang. Please, people stop using American slang, it's not very good, I want more use of: Hoser, Bloody, Cheerio, Wanker, etc.

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Offline Matlu

Junior Devvie

Hasta La Victoria Siempre!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-01-01 15:57:04 »

Czech Republic, Prague.
Many companies offer java-related jobs here (also Sun and Borland have development here), but c++ and .net seem to prevail. I'm not sure if someone uses java for professional games here...

Multiplayer Online Games
http://www.duelboard.com
Offline gregof

Junior Devvie

in code we trust

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-01-04 06:21:46 »

Sweden, LuleƄ for me.
Here (in LuleĆ„) we have Agency9 (which I have done some work for btw), now I work with webapplications for an other company, but if i lean out the window,  I may be able to throw a rock at their office  Grin

// Gregof
Offline Tomas

Junior Devvie

Agency9

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-01-04 08:26:05 »

Then I'll just use my super powers and throw it right back at you  Wink

// Tomas

CTO Agency9
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161