...in time for the re-launch of JGF. We're transferring across the old articles at the moment (one or two of which may get largely re-written in the process), but it would be great to have some more done.
UPDATE: now you merely need to create an account on the test server, go to the "developers" page, then click on "tutorials" then "propose article". Quick link:http://184.108.40.206/views/proposed-articles
(if you don't have an account yet, then use the register link at the top right - use a real email address or your account will (eventually) get killed; there's no checks at the moment).
Details you need to fill in:
- suggested title
- type of article (tutorial, soapbox, etc)
- one or two paragraph synopsis/explanation of your article
...then you get a link to a page to edit it, where you can add:
- each of the major headings you intend to cover, with a few sentecnes for each to describe them.
Note: the system isn't finished yet, so you can't, for instance, delete or modify the headings once created - this will get fixed ASAP!
Title: "Introduction to 3D graphics in java"
Synopsis: ...[your explanation]...
- History of 3D in java (Java3D)
- OpenGL vs Software
- Java3D & Xith3D
- Scenegraph vs raw tris
- JOGL & LWJGL
- Other options
...or something like that.
You need to bear in mind that:
- Every article has an editor, whose job it is to make sure the article is accurate, has working code, is fair (unbiased), easy to understand, and interesting to read.
- Your editor will work with you to improve the article whilst you're writing it.
- You need to get the editor's approval before you start - this usually just means agreeing on the list of headings. This makes sure you don't end up writing something and then the editor doesn't like it.
Finally, we're looking on *any* article on *any topic* so long as it is java-specific. If you're article doesn't apply to java in particular, then submit it to gamedev.net instead; we're not interested in trying to "compete" with other sites - we just want to provide the content that is *missing* from other sites.
For an example of what makes a good tutorial, read Kevin Glass's "Space Invaders 101" on: http://javagamesfactory.com/articles-content.html
PS if anyone *does* want to do an article on 3D grahpics in java, feel free to submit your proposal based on the above!