Death of my Laptop  (Read 3031 times)
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 120
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Posted 2004-11-10 19:04:04 »

Its died, taking all of my work with it. Gravity Battle, Loaders and Mini Adventure are trapped on the hard drive meaning that my chances of getting any development done are even worse.

1) Does anyone know where I can purchase a laptop to desktop IDE convertor in the UK?

2) Alienware laptops any good? Guess I'm going to have to spend 1500 quid or so on a new one, any suggestions?

Good bye dear friend... Sad

Kev

Offline Mojomonkey

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-11-10 19:21:07 »

Buy a external 2.5" firewire/usb case. Remove the HD from your dead laptop and put in this case. You now have a portable external harddrive.

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-11-10 22:12:54 »

1) Does anyone know where I can purchase a laptop to desktop IDE convertor in the UK?

Yep, I picked one up on Tottenham Court Road, London - took a bit of searching, but I got one.  Cost about a fiver, from what I remember.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline johng

Senior Newbie

Bah.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-11-10 22:45:42 »

Powerbook.

Join us...

There's just this and empty space...
Offline jtr

Senior Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-11-10 23:48:06 »

> Powerbook

They're awesome.  But I miss having JDK 1.5.
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-11-11 06:25:42 »

See, I'd go for the Powerbook if my experience so far of OSX hadn't been so god damn awful.

I'm afraid at the moment I'm going to stick to x86 and Win XP. Purely practicality speaking..

Kev

Offline jtr

Senior Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-11-11 11:17:17 »

> so awful

So, what's the story?  I use XP and Linux at work, but really look forward to OS X at home.  

Perhaps the worst part of OS X (IMHO) is that it doesn't have many games that I like (like Falcon 4, etc...).  But I don't have much time for that nowadays anyway.
Offline ryanm

Projects: 1
Exp: 15 years

Used to be bleb

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-11-11 11:19:09 »

I suggest a Dell 8600. The fearsome 1920x1200 screen offers, IMO, real, tangible productivity benefits. More so than a faster processor anyway.

And it also runs Counterstrike:Source real nice.
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-11-11 11:30:18 »

Dell appear to be well over expensive for a good spec.

Kev

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-11-11 12:00:47 »

I suggest a Dell 8600. The fearsome 1920x1200 screen offers, IMO, real, tangible productivity benefits. More so than a faster processor anyway.

Dell laptops: excellent screen quality, shitty service, shitty components, shitty shit everywhere. (using an 8100 right now).

I recommend the Latitude's instead of Inspiron's if you can afford it. Check out the current state-of-art but they typically support more RAM (different BIOS etc).

Also...if you intend to be mobile, a smaller screen is worth it's reduced weight in gold. My 1400x1050 screen has me lugging a laptop about twice as heavy as I'd like. It was ok the first few weeks, but ever since I've had back ache everytime I lug it (and don't look forward to travelling if I have to carry it any significant distance - even walking between buildings is a pain).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline dranonymous

Hoping to become a Java Titan someday!

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-11-11 12:07:37 »

Have you been able to get your data back at all?  IMHO thats stage one.  I know they make mini-IDE to standard IDE connectors, usually with a power plug as well.  I can ask a guy here at work where we got some, as I know they are a tad harder to find.

Once you get the data back, PLEASE put your sources somewhere backed up!  You can use my home CVS server if you'd like.  Smiley  GravityBattle must live!

I'm with the PowerBook camp.  Thats going to be my next computer purchase.  Since I don't have one, I can't say much though.  :/

Regards,
Dr. A>

PS - Go for whatever laptop will give you a fairly decent graphics card.  Since you can't change it once you purchase (excluding one from AlienWare I believe), pick something that won't tie you down in that area.
Offline jtr

Senior Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-11-11 22:51:36 »

Yeah.  I have a Inspiron 4100.  It's OK, but not great.  I got it because it was lighter than the 8100's.  I'd been unimpressed by Dell's service in the past, so I got only the basic one year warrentee.  Here's what happened so far:

- it shipped with about 7 bad pixels.  I asked to get it fixed, but they said that was normal.  I then asked to return it and they exchanged it for one with no bad pixels.  That left a bad taste, but at least I got a good screen out of the deal.

- after a few months it became very difficult to start or shut it down via the power button.  I didn't want to mail it back, so I lived with this.

- after one year, the hinges started creaking and the battery life went to about 30 minutes.  I ended up buying a better battery from ebay.

- after about one and a half years the right LCD hinge broke.  Bummer.  I lived with it like this, using an external monitor instead.

- after about two years the hard drive froze solid.  At this point, I got tired of the problems and replaced the hard drive and bought a new upper panel from Dell parts.  It was more difficult than I imagined to buy from Dell spare parts, but it was much cheaper than the repair price they want.  Replacing the panel was pretty easy.  I thought I was done with repairs.

- now (just a bit more than two years later) the LCD inverter is dying.  The LCD won't display unless I boot on battery power, and then makes a high pitch hum.  This is quite annoying!  And worse, I have the option of getting a completely new LCD screen from Dell (at like $600 or so) or hunting around for the right LCD inverter.  

During my research into the repairs, I found these are all common problems with Insiprons.  The Lattitude models we have at work are better constructed, but still have component failures.  The best part of Dell's support seems to be its diehard members in the Dell forums.  Email support is awful, but you can get your point across after a few exchanges.  Phone support is hit or miss, but mostly miss.

Personally, I'm ready for an Apple laptop, but I'm holding out for a G5 (or at least a dual core G4).  I'm typing this on a Powermac G5, which is very impressive.

If I had to get a PC laptop, I'd look into IBM.  Or consider the laptop disposable.

[edit] I should have added that it runs Linux pretty well.  Well, except for the build-in winmodem.
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-11-12 00:29:25 »

I have a Toshiba Satellite.  I've owned it for 1.5 years.  I'm very used to having to reinstall Windows at LEAST twice a year because my computers always get really slow over time.  However, I've been on this install for the whole 1.5 years and it's still as fast as can be.  I've only ever had to force a reboot with the power button when locked up from trying games posted on this forum that aren't too friendly in early stages Wink

I have one single complaint, just one.  I've had keys pop off the keyboard and need replacing.  HOWEVER, due to the slick way they made the keys (which I've never seen on another laptop) the underside is still flat, and it functions perfectly as a key without the cover.  Since it's the arrow keys that have popped off, and they still work perfectly well being flat and all, I haven't bothered calling to replace (which they'll do for free if I ask).

Even my desktop PC's have never been as stable as this machine.  I am very pleased.  When I found it, it was also the cheapest 2ghz laptop I could find.

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-11-22 17:06:45 »

Ah well, short on cash so a laptop looks like its out of the question for a while Sad

Managed to salvage the drive tho and have finally managed to copy over the old state of my drive.

Cheers for the suggestions all,

Kev

Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 11

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-11-22 18:10:13 »

1920x1200

pah, I'd rather have 3 19" 1280x1024 TFT's Tongue
bargain @ £260 a piece Wink

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline jherber

Java games rock!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-11-24 03:18:37 »

I'm very used to having to reinstall Windows at LEAST twice a year because my computers always get really slow over time.

start regedit

go here and delete all the crap...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Offline jherber

Java games rock!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-11-24 03:42:15 »

i'm looking for another laptop as well.  i currently have an ibm x22.  the thing has taken some serious abuse and keeps on ticking.  at work i pound on a painfully slow inspiron 7500 which has had a keyboard and screen replacement (1999 model) but keeps on ticking.

i'm currently looking at the samsung m40 and x30, which are the lightest and thinnest notebooks i know of ( even lighter than powerbooks )  i'm also looking at the ibm t41p which can also passthrough to dvi.  the new inspiron 9200 also looks nice and is cheap, but it is a tad heavy and not available until mid december.

i'd love for some of the powerbook owners to chime in about what aspects or features of the osX/powerbook choice beats x86/linux/xp.  
Offline kevglass

JGO Kernel

« Reply #17 - Posted 2005-02-14 18:11:21 »

Just to did up my old topic.. interesting news!

My wife surprised me today with a new toshiba laptop! Woo!

More interesting, is when I booted it for the first time what did I find already installed. Java!

Java 1.4.05 is already installed and configured with webstart! Now thats great!

Kev

Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #18 - Posted 2005-02-14 18:23:49 »

My wife surprised me today with a new toshiba laptop! Woo!

You mean... it's not a Mac?! Quick, stone him, stone him!!! ;-)  Tongue

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #19 - Posted 2005-02-15 14:34:15 »

yikes!  *hides behind his faithful Toshiba* Smiley

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #20 - Posted 2005-02-15 14:53:48 »

yikes!  *hides behind his faithful Toshiba* Smiley

Hah! That won't help you any! The cheap plastic in the Toshiba won't stand a chance against a rock! You should've hid behind a Mac! ;-)

Speaking of which, I'm amazed at how well Mac Laptops hold together. Most PC laptops these days are made of very flimsy plastic that makes it far too easy to damage internal components. In comparison, I was on the bus the other day working on my iBook. The bus driver stopped suddenly (I still don't know why) and everyone grabbed for something to keep from flying forward. Unfortunately, a lady seated perpendicular to myself wasn't so lucky. She went stumbling off her seat and landed right on my open laptop screen! The hinge bent backwards and I heard a mild "crunch". I was absolutely certain that the screen and the keyboard were no longer the same component. Shocked

Yet low and behold, when she got up I found that the hinge was still intact! Her fall seems to have broken an internal component that helps keep the swivel straight, but otherwise the laptop was undamaged! I took it to the Apple store, and they said they can repair it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to bother. The damage really isn't that bad, and the laptop works just fine. How's that for good engineering! ;-)

In any case, I'm stealing the spotlight from Kev. It's definitely cool that Windows machines are now OEMing Java. It creates a larger userbase for us developers and saves the user from large downloads. It also helps Windows catch up with Mac OS X. Grin

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline JuddMan

Your Ad Here

« Reply #21 - Posted 2005-02-17 05:38:53 »

was it toshiba or microsoft that was responsible for java being installed though? i bet it was toshiba.

i just reinstalled XP on my inspiron 8000. it's about 3 years old now. the battery only lasts 10 minutes, the cd-rom drive only works when it feels like, but other than that, it's working ok. my next computer is probably going to be the smallest powerbook (those things are tiny!) so i can carry it easy.
Offline Chman

Nothing more that... Java games are cool !

« Reply #22 - Posted 2005-02-19 10:22:03 »

my next computer is probably going to be the smallest powerbook (those things are tiny!) so i can carry it easy.

Same here... I'll buy the Powerbook 15" (SuperDrive) in some monthes (no enough money atm). I'm tired of PC Wink

Chman
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (14 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (13 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (43 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (40 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (32 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (36 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (50 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (50 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org