ignore  |  Print  
  Locking threads  (Read 2343 times)
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Posted 2004-10-25 05:20:31 »

Why is the Food for Thought thread locked? It really doesn't make sense, particularly since it's in the off topic section! I was enjoying the read, and was about to comment on some of it...

Since the thread is highly anti-bush, some might view it as a conspiracy to lock it Wink

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-10-25 05:46:16 »

Cas said it all.

I didn't even bothered checking that thread before, because it was about politics and I know how that stuff always ends. History repeats itself all over again.

Let's just keep the forum as techy as it is. Some silly jokes here and there, but no politics, no religion and uhm... no sex (remember that pre marriage sex is bad discussion? Please not again Roll Eyes).

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-10-25 06:50:00 »

well, the forum shouldn't be called off topic then - it should be called Silly Jokes...

Off topic is for anything that isn't game related - be it politics, rants or religious stuff. It's the flamefest sub section - and IMO should only ever be moderated if contains advertising or someone invokes Godwin's Law.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-10-25 08:25:41 »

>it should be called Silly Jokes

So... there is only tech, religion, politics and sex? Smiley

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-10-25 08:41:14 »

meh?
the subforum Off Topic should be called Silly Jokes - all the other subforums are ofcourse unaffected.

Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-10-25 08:47:06 »

Should have been: " So... there is only tech, religion, politics, sex and silly jokes?"

I mean there a heaps of other things you can talk about without summoning the flame demons. Like... movies, music, anime... your life... luck/bad luck... moving... that kind of things.

Oh and of course talking about the lockage of doomed threads Tongue

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-10-25 09:05:31 »

I'm with Matzon on this one.
As long as it doesn't get out of hand, it doesn't need to be locked. As far as I could tell, the discussion didn't get out of hand (the obvious differences in pov aside).

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 342
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-10-25 09:27:05 »

Oh I dunno, I couldn't see it staying on the rails much longer with DP and SP beginning to get a bit nasty at each other. I've seen it a thousand times if I've seen it once...

Cas Smiley

Offline crystalsquid

... Boing ...

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-10-25 11:36:56 »

i agree.
We were 2 posts from the first mention of Hitler I reckon...
Offline gismo

Senior Newbie

Yeah well, I'm gonna go build my own lunar lander.

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-10-25 17:43:58 »

Sorry, but that's too important to remain silent.

History repeats itself all over again.

We were 2 posts from the first mention of Hitler I reckon...

... when it is put into perspective, mentioning Hitler isn't bad at all. Many people know what he did, but few know how something like this could happen in the first place. History must not repeat itself when it comes down to such an issue. Therefore Malohkan's quote should be taken seriously and should have a chance of beeing discussed!

Don't forget and don't ignore - even (or especially) when it is not that easy to deal with...

Just my opinion,
gismo
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Bombadil

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-10-25 17:58:19 »

Let's just keep the forum as techy as it is.

100% agreed.
After all, this is Java gaming forum. If some people want to publish/discuss their brillant political wisdom and truisms, they could easily join one of those milliard (billion in US-english) forums offering right this, where all those clever virtual statesmen stay all day.

I already lose many interesting technical articles because of the unfortunatey "view last 10 articles" function (hurray: soon we'll get a new forum!), so I'm really glad when these ten aren't wasted with ever-repeating babble.

So, thanks to the Mods for locking that thread. :-)
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-10-25 20:15:25 »

Oh I dunno, I couldn't see it staying on the rails much longer with DP and SP beginning to get a bit nasty at each other. I've seen it a thousand times if I've seen it once...

Cas Smiley

I agree in principal, but I would like to point out that I wasn't attempting in the slightest to "get nasty" (that sounds so dirty Smiley )

But unfortunately it is hard to communicate that effectively in this medium.  So many emotional cues and body language things are missing that it can be easy to  get the wrong impression from the text.

That's probably reason enough to steer clear of such topics.  I'll be better, I promise Smiley

Offline dranonymous

Hoping to become a Java Titan someday!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-10-25 20:43:16 »

After I 'mummed' myself the second time, I stopped reading that thread.  It seemed to have lost most of its purpose and its pretty easy to figure out the difference between someone who is open to changing their opinions and one who is not.

After skimming this, I read backwards on the locked thread. It ceartainly seemed to have turned into a bash fest, flame war, I'm right, you're stupid, kinda thingy.

The other thing is like it or not, these forums aren't ours.  They are provided to us.  The mods can lock all the threads if they want, its their perogative.  It wouldn't make good PR for them, but there's nothing illegal about it.  And it wouldn't matter what the threads were called.

Since the thread is highly anti-bush, some might view it as a conspiracy to lock it

Matzon pointed out exactly the problem with politics and such - its about views.  We could cook up some thing about how the mods here are all secretly ultra conservative and want women to lose their voting rights, because they locked the Anti-Bush thread.  And if they didn't respond, it would proove our case.  Even if they did respond, we wouldn't believe them anyway, because we had already made our minds up.  Tongue

Dr. A>
Offline snowmoon

Senior Newbie

previosly known as TheLorax

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-10-25 23:13:48 »

I fully support the modertors for closing political threads.  They are just no good for anyone.
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-10-25 23:45:06 »

I liked the discussion, I thought it was very interesting.  Besides, as that subject is important to me, I like being able to talk about it with a forum that I know has smart people in it Smiley  I don't chose to talk about it in any other forum because in general people aren't able to give intellectual responses.

I also think the thread didn't get out of hand.

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline Mojomonkey

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-10-25 23:55:35 »

It should have been locked and you are a fool and a tree hugger if you feel differently!  Tongue

In all seriousness, this is a privately run forum and we have to respect the decision of the moderators. If they don't want political discussions dominating a forum, I don't blame them.

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Offline Malohkan

while (true) System.out.println("WOO!!!!");

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-10-26 00:12:14 »

ahh yeah, good point.  In that case I'm fine with the decision Smiley

Admin and Game Developer at
GameLizard.com
Play Rimscape!    |    Play Conquer!
Offline dranonymous

Hoping to become a Java Titan someday!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-10-26 00:58:21 »

Hey, how come when I say its a private forum you don't say you agree,  but when mMonkey says it, you do?   Embarrassed

Sigh...I guess it always boils down to its not what you say, its how you say it.  Wink

Dr. A>
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-10-26 05:33:15 »

In all seriousness, this is a privately run forum and we have to respect the decision of the moderators. If they don't want political discussions dominating a forum, I don't blame them.
Fair enough, but locking a thread without giving a cause is looking for trouble.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-10-26 08:23:49 »

The mods can lock all the threads if they want, its their perogative.

Can we, really? You think we'd get away with it? /me cackles evilly

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

pw (22 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (20 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (17 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (20 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16

ctomni231 (48 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (44 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (35 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (38 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (53 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (52 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org