Offline aNt

AFK

« Posted 2004-10-16 10:09:12 »

ok where are we with this?

i was planing to start looking into it monday- so just
asking for a heads up Smiley... Will you have made a
forground and background node- is that cool for adding
ui components to? i also take it we dont want to use
Swing or AWT? whats everyones thoughts on this?

xith3d needs ui components badly in my opinion.. or did
someone get all this rocking and i missed a build?
Offline hawkwind

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-10-16 14:01:02 »

think its still hanging....I wasn't sure the existing UI stuff was all that bad until my UI based buttons started following my mouse around ....yikes!!!

If you are going to approach this I would spend a day or two gathering ideas/wants/etc.  For me I would need

Offline hawkwind

Java games rock!

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-10-16 14:05:43 »

think its still hanging....I wasn't sure the existing UI stuff was all that bad until my UI based buttons started following my mouse around ....yikes!!!

If you are going to approach this I would spend a day or two gathering ideas/wants/etc.  For me I would need

0  some kinda HUD
0   a display panel that I could dump text/images too
o working button,

by working they could be a pickable beastie with some kinda of callback mechanism or whatever.  I am getting into all kindas of problems with AWT and or Swing gui events occuring async to my rendering loop.

While I can't help with dev I would be willing to integrate alpha releases into my game and test.

Soory for the double post...actually dropped coffee cup on my 'puter...what a morning
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline cascade

Java games rock!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-10-16 16:22:25 »

Hi there, my other thread about the graphics context painting into a textures image aims at the same goal.

I have written a small UI based on simple drawing primitives. So I can use this by simply painting it to textures. It has some nice features like a text renderer which can include animated images (icons) using escape sequences and so on. Of course all components are interactive. Unfortunately it is very personal *cough* undocumented *cough* code but I have some experience in writing a UI from scratch.

I think what everyone will need is
a type of paintable hud and mouse pointing on this hud (e.g. returning a position on the hud).

PS: A UI from scratch can be very complex once you go beyond just a few buttons. Soon one will run into problems like coding a simple scroll pane or some basic layout managers.

Ca$cade
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-10-16 22:13:36 »

by working they could be a pickable beastie with some kinda of callback mechanism or whatever.  I am getting into all kindas of problems with AWT and or Swing gui events occuring async to my rendering loop.

Slightly off topic but I have solved this problem (async input events) for my game and am willing to share the solution - interested?

Will.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-10-16 22:29:29 »

The com.xith3d.userinterface package should be considered unmaintained and highly experimental.  I avoid it for this reason plus I don't like the large dependancy on Swing.

Xith3D HUD support is a step in the right direction but I totally agree, we need some kind of UI badly.

I think any sort of UI should be built using the Foreground node, be uncoupled from the rest of the API, and not depend on the AWT or Swing libraries, nor need to use OpenGL picking.

There is a text2d solution already which uses AWT here: http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=xith3d;action=display;num=1084652728;start=7#7
(and https://xith-tk.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=1341&expandFolder=1341&folderID=0)

For superior compatibility across all operating environments and with all renderers such as LWJGL, a solution not dependant on AWT is needed.  Some sort of OpenGl based Xith3D widget toolkit (XWT?).

Alien Flux has a great UI setup and I believe Cas has open sourced it.  Perhaps we could port it to Xith3D as a starting point?

Another option - does a light weight alternative to the AWT Graphics object exist that we could use to draw strings and shapes?  Perhaps we should ask in the 2D forum.

Will.

Offline cascade

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-10-18 05:06:22 »

I would not limit it completely to the foreground node. Imagine you would want a UI as an ingame part. A player pressing some buttons mounted on some object in the game world.

I would not just rule this possibility out by default.

What do you mean by AWT independence ? If you go down to drawing primitives below the AWT graphics context then you will end up drawing your own lines, polygons, do the filling, read and render fonts etc.

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-10-18 07:34:46 »

That's actually a feature. Grin If you click your overlay at its border it will follow your mouse until you click once more. Long time ago I posted in this forum how this can be disabled. Nevertheless the userinterface package has serious drawbacks (event handling, artefacts in text display, ...).

Soory for the double post...actually dropped coffee cup on my 'puter...what a morning

There's a delete button for your own posts.  Tongue

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-10-18 07:38:01 »

I would assume any 3D buttons in the scene would use picking and any clickables would need to be Foreground node only.  Who would want a text input box on a 45 degree angle?  Text could be applied to any type of node however.

AWT seperation is important otherwise the Xith3D/LWJGL users lose many benifits of using LWJGL.  This also reduces the portability of the platform.  I'm not suggesting we code that library but maybe find some light weight low level drawing library.

Alien Flux has a rich GUI without needing AWT.

Will.

Offline cascade

Java games rock!

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-10-18 08:10:38 »

with ingame UI I meant the possibility of having something like a virtual screen based control panel of a machine that can be used by the player. In other words the high-tech version of the dungeon lever.

For example: I coded a small app in C for openGL where you can have live camera feed on a texture. Applying this to a tv-shaped model you have a working tv in your game.

The only work on a 2d library of java I know of is this port of java2d to OpenGL. But this is most probably not lightweight.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline aNt

AFK

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-10-18 09:12:13 »

we are chatting about Buttons and Popup windows
on an overlay here write? just to keep on topic Smiley

i am looking at the uiwindow stuff at the moment.
also seems the events etc need abstracting so they
dont update the worlds events. click a button and
the orbiting camera doesnt spin around.

popup and scollpanes seem to be a tricky area- who
gets focus and all that. nock nock Smiley
Offline SpuTTer

Medals: 1
Exp: 14 years

Lazy Middle Class Intellectual

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-10-19 03:44:28 »

who's there?

Sacramento Volleyball
"Whitty phrase goes here."
Offline aNt

AFK

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-10-19 09:23:09 »

doctor
Offline hasait

Senior Newbie

Java for Freedom!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-10-19 20:14:02 »

Hi!

I've started an UI as part of a Java3D Project. The whole UI stuff is rendered into a BufferedImage and then put onto the scene as overlay.
In Java3D i used the getGraphics2D() method, which is really slow for only doing a drawAndFlushImage(...).
The advantage is the portability, so i'm trying to use it with Xith3D, but the UIWindowManager in combination with UIOverlay (extended to implement UIOverlayInterface) is slower than Java3D and i think it's far from the optimal way. So i would be happy about some help, how to get a BufferedImage (or s.th. with Graphics2D for painting) as fast as possible to the ViewPlate. (What about the Frontend-Node, anybody any coding examples?)

I've ported the Swing-BoxLayout and the UI contains basic controls like Button, Label, TextField, RadioButton, Checkbox, PasswordField. The baseclass is a container, so you can build complex dialogs (using BoxLayout). You can use various styles for mouseover, border.
Scrolling was implemented but due to redesign currently doesn't work anymore... i'm more the network-guy than GUI-expert.
Like BoxLayout any other Swing-/AWT-LayoutManager should be possible to port...
The whole stuff uses a separate Eventhandling which has an abstraction layer, so e.g. you can map Keyboard-buttons for moving the (virtual) Mouse or use the Joystick-Buttons to enter text in a text-field.

Maybe someone interested...

Cioa,
hasait
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-10-19 21:38:18 »

Example code for Foreground node:

BranchGroup aimGraphBG = new BranchGroup();
aimGraphBG.addChild(myHUDQuadShape);
Foreground aimGraphForeground = new Foreground(aimGraphBG, View.VIEW_FIXED);
scene.addChild(aimGraphForeground);

VIEW_FIXED means it doesn't matter where your camera is, it will always be rendered in the same place.  Foreground can take any type of geometry - not just flat quads incidently, although they are commonly used for HUDs.

Your project sounds interesting.  Definitally see if you can get it to work with the Foreground node instead of the userinterface package.  Hopefully you will see a large speed increase.

Will.

Offline JeramieHicks

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-10-20 00:29:01 »

I'm highly interested. I was starting to work on porting our own in-house GUI system to texture -> Foreground, but I'm currently hung on coming up with a way to guarantee a quad drawn in a Foreground node exactly matches the screen size down to the pixel. I was going to make a tiled texture system, because the float UV is too coarse to work with a single screen-sized texture with per-pixel accuracy, but I was getting stumped with screen coords -> Foreground coords conversion.

What I was planning on doing was casting screen coords to Foreground coords at a distance of -0.5f, which would be the GUI plate.  Then doing 32x32 screen-pixel tiles, which doing the same pickray would give me what size quads to put on the GUI plate, with individual 32x32 textures.  Then just a matter of wrapping a single Graphics interface around the tile mosaic, so that it appears as a singular drawing surface. I figure the smaller the tiles, the better update resolution when only a small region is dirtied.

If somebody could give me a hint on screen coords -> Foreground coords, I could churn all that out. Would give him a singular drawing surface that covers the entire screen, but with per-pixel accuracy.
Offline hawkwind

Java games rock!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-10-20 00:32:37 »

Slightly off topic but I have solved this problem (async input events) for my game and am willing to share the solution - interested?

Will.

very

That's actually a feature. Grin If you click your overlay at its border it will follow your mouse until you click once more. 

I clicked that puppy to oblivion without affect.....

with ingame UI I meant the possibility of having something like a virtual screen based control panel of a machine that can be used by the player. In other words the high-tech version of the dungeon lever.  

exactly where I am cascade,  I am basically trying to do the Murder Mystery in a Mansion thing and lever, button, switched etc will be needed

I would assume any 3D buttons in the scene would use picking and any clickables would need to be Foreground node only.  Who would want a text input box on a 45 degree angle?  Text could be applied to any type of node however. 
/code]

William, this is how I currently do it, but It is substantially easier to do some thing with a button set, with callbacks, than writing a scenegraph addon. .  In my game a player needs to solve various puzzles.  For example suppose the user needs to solve a puzzle, consisting of three buttons with associated colored labels.  Press a button and the label randomly changes color, get all three colors correct win a prize.  I banged that out as a Jwindow beastie using NetBeans GUI editor in 3 mins.   Unfortunately I would prefer to have the controls for the game in the scene tilted and rotated however the user moves a mouse.

[code]

Maybe someone interested...

Cioa,
hasait

sounds interesting..tell us more

Final Note:  I like williams foreground work,  a foreground HUD with nice artwork can make a game, it is a necessary piece of Xith.  I would also want embeded, in the scene UI components that had some knid of event handling callback mechanism in it.   Having a mechanism, affected by lighting that reacts to mouse/ket presses would be way cool.
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-10-20 05:17:44 »

Will.

very

Here then is an article I have written for you (and others who are interested) about the approach I took:
http://tankammo.com/article/eventpoll

William, this is how I currently do it, but It is substantially easier to do some thing with a button set, with callbacks, than writing a scenegraph addon. .  In my game a player needs to solve various puzzles.  For example suppose the user needs to solve a puzzle, consisting of three buttons with associated colored labels.  Press a button and the label randomly changes color, get all three colors correct win a prize.  I banged that out as a Jwindow beastie using NetBeans GUI editor in 3 mins.   Unfortunately I would prefer to have the controls for the game in the scene tilted and rotated however the user moves a mouse.

I see.  

I'm not sure if this would belong in a UI library.  Perhaps you could petition to have some callback feature added to the current picking code?  I don't use picking myself so I am just stabbing in the dark, but my understanding is that it is the best method for detecting clicks on 3D objects in the scene.

Final Note:  I like williams foreground work,  a foreground HUD with nice artwork can make a game, it is a necessary piece of Xith.  I would also want embeded, in the scene UI components that had some knid of event handling callback mechanism in it.   Having a mechanism, affected by lighting that reacts to mouse/ket presses would be way cool.

Thank you Smiley.  I'm sure there is a good solution to your problem but I'm not convinced it is a UI package.

Cheers,

Will.

Offline hawkwind

Java games rock!

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-10-20 11:55:33 »

3AM in the morning!!!! I hope your in a different time zone and not at work...youch.

I agree,  I was thinking UI in terms of swing/AWT pieces/parts, so....

With a Foreground UI, painting a set of pickable Nodes I would have most likely some underlying image/texture to border my game or act as a HUD.

o  Since full screen is not in 2^n dimensions how should/would I size a base texture???

o  Would the Foreground texture obscure/mask non-foreground pickable shapes that where not visible due to the "background texture" of the Foreground node?   Imagine a game border, say an inch in screen width, with embedded pickable-node-buttons,  I would want nodes in the game scene graph to be non-pickable if the node was completed obscured.  Does this make sense.  I modify the mouse cursur based on what it is over and would not want the user to see mouse indications of an object when what is painted on the foreground of the screen is just some pretty texture

o  Even a simple UI should have
   - some kind of progress bar (power, life, bullets etc.
   - dynamic areas (efficiently updatable) for dialogd etc.
Offline hasait

Senior Newbie

Java for Freedom!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-10-21 15:35:57 »

I've a problem with the Foreground:
I'm rendering my UI to a single textured Quad (i put this into a util class ImageOverlay). My SG looks like: VU-BG-Foreground-BG-Shape3D-Quad-Texture. The screen stays black???
Ok because i'm in a hurry with this UI, i temporarly used the UiWindowManager - this means my ImageOverlay implements UiOverlayInterface and returns the Shape3D in the getRoot() and it works (Canvas3D-UIWinMan-Shape3D-Quad-Texture).

What's wrong? Why is UiWindowManager working and Foreground not? Do i need to add any transformations? Or use a different version of Xith3D - i use 2004-09-18?

The good thing is, that it is faster compared with the provided UIWindow...

Downloadable at:
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~clain/stuff/ImageOverlay.java
and
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~clain/stuff/ImageOverlayForeground.java

P.S.: hah... i ported Swing-BorderLayout to the UI  Cheesy
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-10-21 22:26:01 »

I've a problem with the Foreground:
I'm rendering my UI to a single textured Quad (i put this into a util class ImageOverlay). My SG looks like: VU-BG-Foreground-BG-Shape3D-Quad-Texture. The screen stays black???
Ok because i'm in a hurry with this UI, i temporarly used the UiWindowManager - this means my ImageOverlay implements UiOverlayInterface and returns the Shape3D in the getRoot() and it works (Canvas3D-UIWinMan-Shape3D-Quad-Texture).

What's wrong? Why is UiWindowManager working and Foreground not? Do i need to add any transformations? Or use a different version of Xith3D - i use 2004-09-18?

Try the latest from CVS - Foreground is very new.

I am sure it is working, I use it extensivly.

Where is your quad positioned? Chances are it is just off camera.  Assuming you are using VIEW_FIXED - make sure your depth (z) is negative.  That will place it in front of the camera.  Also make sure it isn't getting clipped by any near clipping.

Clearly I need to write a small tute about Foreground.

Will.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-10-21 22:31:52 »

3AM in the morning!!!! I hope your in a different time zone and not at work...youch.

Hehe, no I live in Brisbane Australia so it was in the afternoon for me Smiley  Since getting a full time job, 3am coding sessions are rather rare Wink

I agree,  I was thinking UI in terms of swing/AWT pieces/parts, so....

With a Foreground UI, painting a set of pickable Nodes I would have most likely some underlying image/texture to border my game or act as a HUD.

o  Since full screen is not in 2^n dimensions how should/would I size a base texture???

Can you simply have a pow2 texture bigger than needed which you just cut off the bits you don't need?

o  Would the Foreground texture obscure/mask non-foreground pickable shapes that where not visible due to the "background texture" of the Foreground node?   Imagine a game border, say an inch in screen width, with embedded pickable-node-buttons,  I would want nodes in the game scene graph to be non-pickable if the node was completed obscured.  Does this make sense.  I modify the mouse cursur based on what it is over and would not want the user to see mouse indications of an object when what is painted on the foreground of the screen is just some pretty texture

Can't help you with picking but Foreground does honour alpha transparency.

I agree.

Will.

Offline hasait

Senior Newbie

Java for Freedom!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-10-21 23:05:50 »

Thanx Will Smiley
The UI is now really fast - i do Raster-Updates and only for the dirty regions - it outperforms Java3d many times - i thought a BufferedImage-UI is not possible, but it seems to work. Cool

Here it's now 2:56AM - but four minutes are short ;-)

ok, i'll add a ProgressBar, and dynamic areas are currently possible...

Good night...
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-10-21 23:37:37 »

Thanx Will Smiley
The UI is now really fast - i do Raster-Updates and only for the dirty regions - it outperforms Java3d many times - i thought a BufferedImage-UI is not possible, but it seems to work. Cool

You're welcome.

I can't wait to see your work.  Do you have a screen shot?  Just how fast does it update?

Sounds like this might be just what we need.

Will.

Offline SpuTTer

Medals: 1
Exp: 14 years

Lazy Middle Class Intellectual

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-10-22 02:23:41 »

I just implemented it as well and Im looking forward to seeing some cool widgets for it ! Smiley

Sacramento Volleyball
"Whitty phrase goes here."
Offline JeramieHicks

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-10-22 17:08:03 »

o  Since full screen is not in 2^n dimensions how should/would I size a base texture

Can you simply have a pow2 texture bigger than needed which you just cut off the bits you don't need?

I ran my own experiments, and found that a full-screen 800x600 texture (blown up to 1024x1024 internally) suffered from sufficient "UV float fuzziness" that it was only about 80% pixel accurate. The closer the base image got to 1024x1024, the closer to pixel-accurate it became.

In other words, there was enough UV float fuzziness that texture pixels were not being rended, because their neighboring pixels were often chosen to be rendered instead, making it look like the drawn image was a poor copy-of-a-copy type image.

My GUI system currently uses a tiled texture process, where each texture tile is exactly a power of 2, and its base polygon is sized to match exactly a 1:1 screen pixel size. It works perfectly and is pixel-accurate, using tiles that are 64 or 128 square. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to use the tiled textures for each GUI window, or just a single full-screen collection to draw the entire GUI system on a single surface.

The trick is that the texture must be a power of 2 so UV is texel accurate, and the base polygon must be 1:1 screen pixel sized, so it's screen pixel accurate as well.
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-10-22 23:15:42 »

Do you draw the textures on Quads?  What Z depth are you using?

Will.

Offline JeramieHicks

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-10-23 07:01:46 »

Yeah, each tile has it's own quad, and the depth is 0.6f. I'm using the Maze3D code, with has a near clip of 0.5f, any I found that the avatar collider they used tends to keep the world 3D objects at least 0.7f from the camera. So I get a 0.5 to 0.7 range to put a GUI that won't be clipped by the near plane, nor have world geometry cutting into it.

I'm also experimenting with making a GUI entirely of 3D objects (ie, colored quads and text stacked on each other, instead of a tiled texture plate with the GUI painted onto it). It's really going to boil down to how many 3D objects can be handled per frame, versus how much texture region gets invalidated and must be reuploaded per frame...
Offline hasait

Senior Newbie

Java for Freedom!

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-10-28 02:14:08 »

Hi again! I was on a trip and needed to relax - sorry for waiting, but here we go...

(text above images)
Transparent windows, which can be moved around and resized (title changes) - the ported Swing-Layoutmanagers are responsible for sizing and positioning of the controls - the windows are sized by the layoutmanager of the top-container...
- you can see buttons and textfields
- they are painted using Graphics2D, so easy to extend with other controls - as i need i will add more

Here you can see the fire through the window :-)

The mouse-over and button-down effect - using borders

It is far from perfect, but a starting point for my project...
If somebody is intrested send me a message... currently it is not easy to extract, because it uses a AWT-indenpendent eventhandling and some extensionpoint-stuff, but after 4.11. i will have more time to improve...

ciao,
hasait

P.S. sorry for taking so much space - is there any way to reduce display-size of pictures?
Offline aNt

AFK

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-11-04 12:43:39 »

this is looking very nice dude-
Pages: [1] 2 3
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Riven (9 views)
2014-10-02 14:36:20

Pippogeek (41 views)
2014-09-24 16:13:29

Pippogeek (32 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:22

Pippogeek (22 views)
2014-09-24 16:12:06

Grunnt (48 views)
2014-09-23 14:38:19

radar3301 (30 views)
2014-09-21 23:33:17

BurntPizza (65 views)
2014-09-21 02:42:18

BurntPizza (37 views)
2014-09-21 01:30:30

moogie (44 views)
2014-09-21 00:26:15

UprightPath (53 views)
2014-09-20 20:14:06
List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 11:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 01:59:08
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org