Games in Android Showcase (132)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (600)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  LWJGL, awt, swing ...  (Read 3281 times)
Offline Chman

Junior Devvie

Nothing more that... Java games are cool !

« Posted 2003-03-06 13:47:15 »

That question has ever been asked, but there were no good responses, so, will we be able to put lwjgl in an awt or swing component in the future ? Will the feature be added soon or in a long time ?

++
Chman
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-03-06 13:55:23 »

perhaps, dunno  Grin

Lwjgl isn't really a toolkit that is intended for all sorts of integration.

That said, looking at some of the other statements made about this, it shouldn't be *that* big a problem to render into another window - the problem seems to be with behaving with the awt/swing component architecture...

However - I'm busy enough getting the Mouse to behave... (read: getting 0.5 out the door)

Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Devvie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-03-06 14:31:52 »

Let me get my scrying stones out... Wink

I don't know what the devs are thinking, but guessing from the way most library development goes I expect they'll continue without any integration and with about the current feature set for a while - fixing things and getting general "alpha-ish" features working.

There'll be a significant shift about version 0.6-7 as more people start to use it, and we'll see an embeddable canvas etc shortly thereafter.

About version 0.95 the devs will be contacted by Sun, who ship them all out to Silicon Valley to work full time on it.

Version 1.0 will be accompanied by a huge release on the main page of Sun.com, Slashdot and OpenGL.org.  With the release of version 1.4 an exclusive deal is signed with Sony, and the PS4 is announced as a massively parallel-processing pure Java/OpenGL platform.  Six months later, Cas gets elected to be a permanent member of the UN security council.  The Isle of Wight is renamed the "Isle of LWJGL".  Half the money gained from the whole project will be spent on lawyers.

I guess the first part of this will be pretty accurate, but as things go on I expect my predictions will be a little off.  All apart from the Isle of Wight.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Matzon

JGO Knight

Medals: 19
Projects: 1

I'm gonna wring your pants!

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-03-06 15:15:22 »

please please - can I be a Minion of Doom ?  Tongue

Well it's pretty simple - we work on what we want to... so if none of us want to work on awt integration, then no one will...

It's open source, and we're pretty open to patches (if they don't go directly against what we're trying to accomplish or introduce huge bloat). That said, if the "community" keeps shouting for stuff, we will ofcourse work towards that goal. Thats how we got "proper" windowed mode support... since "someone" was against it  Tongue

Offline gregorypierce

Senior Devvie

I come upon thee like the blue screen of death....

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-03-06 15:20:20 »

It *can* be, but no decision has been made one way or the other on whether or not we want to build a component into LWJGL. I can however make the Sojourner GLCanvas component available to anyone interested in it. Requires a tad more work on your part to make sure that if you put it in a Swing container that it doesn't overlap anything (because its heavyweight and all swing components are lightweight the GLCanvas gets drawn last), but otherwise performs just as well as the non windowable component.

You *must* ensure that AWT is available on your target platform (and if you're running where Java is that shouldn't be an issue for you), but the approach doesn't require that AWT be present for the non-windowing component to work.

http://www.gregorypierce.com

She builds, she builds oh man
When she links, she links I go crazy
Cause she looks like good code but she's really a hack
I think I'll run upstairs and grab a snack!
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 429
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-03-06 16:28:25 »

I mustard mitt I'm coming round to thinking we can integrate pretty easily with AWT without too much pain. I'm also beginning to think we should do our own windowed mode properly too for that matter and allow it to be resized etc. and not be a debugging window blah blah which means some changes to the way Display and DisplayMode work.

We'll see. Our biggest problem in this respect is that one of the mandates of LWJGL is that it assumes there is no windowing system present and possibly only one screen mode (read: PS3 or somesuch Grin) so I'm not sure how wise it is to be incorporating it into the core library. It might do well as a special supporting library, along with one to do utils as well like textures and stuff.

Cas Smiley

Offline elias

Senior Devvie

« Reply #6 - Posted 2003-03-06 17:00:12 »

I think that little cas is getting soft in his old days... I while ago he'd toast anyone mentioning a real windowed mode. Now, he talks about resizing and all... tsk tsk ;-)

- elias

Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 429
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2003-03-06 18:46:11 »

Well, on the one hand it gives us a bunch of extra functionality and widens our appeal... at the same time buggering up the stark simplicity of programming what is, in effect, a console. Which is where I wanted to be Smiley We all know that write-once-run-anywhere isn't really quite as simple as it sounds and much of the problem is having to cater for too wide a range of systems. It's hard enough as it is worrying about OpenGL extensions.

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

rwatson462 (28 views)
2014-12-15 09:26:44

Mr.CodeIt (19 views)
2014-12-14 19:50:38

BurntPizza (37 views)
2014-12-09 22:41:13

BurntPizza (72 views)
2014-12-08 04:46:31

JscottyBieshaar (34 views)
2014-12-05 12:39:02

SHC (46 views)
2014-12-03 16:27:13

CopyableCougar4 (42 views)
2014-11-29 21:32:03

toopeicgaming1999 (110 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (96 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (29 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org