Now what?  (Read 2427 times)
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Posted 2003-02-28 21:34:12 »

"We have the technology.. we can rebuild him..."

Or to put it another way, all the core structure for my engine is in place, but i'm lacking ideas for the game part of things. At the moment I've got a nice top-down world to explore, in traditional tile based style. A whole bunch of editing tools built in, and the sector/portal rendering is finally in and looking pretty stable Smiley

So, a pretty much empty world to fill, but in what way? At the moment i'm leaning towards a Bangi-o style frantic fast paced shooting action, probably coupled with hub-based levels or something. But i'd rather avoid the whole 'get the blue key for the blue door' idea Tongue

Basically i'm open for ideas in pretty much any area..

Screenies:
In-game with editor
Full editor view

Thanks!

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

pixels! :x

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-03-01 03:07:48 »

looks really nice Smiley

well just one half ot-ish advise... if u stuck with spontaneos ideas / creative flow - do something different. there is always something on the todo list. btw have u already made a nice intro/titlescreen/something nice for the credits page?

do something different and ideas will come by theirselves - sooner or later Smiley

i'm thinking alot bout games these days. why do i like this game and why dont i like the other? what does the games i like have in common and what not?

i played a lot of quite old games this weeks too... most of em where older than 10 years. and some of 'em are still fun and entertaining.

sometimes i think that it just depends on the patterns u have to press... the action with your fingers... if there are a lot of intuitive combinations it makes fun - regardless how crappy the graphics are looking or wich genre it is.

it just has to be responsive "to da bone" and then it kick's ass Smiley

oh... and there is nothing worse than a player who just died and doesnt even has a clue what he/she did wrong. i remember a handfull of SNES games wich had a horrific collison-detection... and i remembered how a friend ticked off for that reason - the bite marks are still in one of my gamepads :>

erm... back to topic Smiley

so... here is my brainstorming result:

u could make a game like "loaded"/"reloaded" (both PSX). short desc: running around with goddamn heavy guns, kill all ppl, tons of blood, tons of explosions... and *cought* 'get the blue key for the blue door' :>

well... that was my first idea... cuz your test level(s) look like this kind of stuff Smiley

or... hmm... u have a "huge" mech (well infact it isnt that huge - everything is just scaled down. eg. the height of the walls is the height of buildings). running around in a city... destroy buildings... squish ppl who cross the street... fight against godzilla Cheesy

or... flip it... u could make a 2d-ish (2d gameplay 3d graphics) jump'n'shoot out of it.

or... bomberman Smiley

or... a "rc pro am" alike racing...

or... u can make a flipper...

or... hey... *g* i actually have a nice idea now i think (and it's somewhat unique). do u know this lil game... u have a small box... inside is a maze with a lot of holes... and the goal is to get a little metal ball to the end. stearing is done with two knobs for x and y axis - u adjust the slope with em and gravity does the rest Smiley

well as a video game that might be quite entertaining... slope adjustment via mice (relative to the camera position). u could add a jump feature (moving the whole "box" down for a sec Wink)... jump ramps... tilt function if u r "jump" to often... moving obstacles... and the slope angle could be shown as 2 bars (one at the right and one at the bottom)... etc etc... tons of ideas here Cheesy

yes. i really think that's a good idea. it's easy to understand and ppl will get used to the controls really quicky (add a sensitivity option btw Wink)

btw if u use that idea i wanna be mentioned in the credits... under "greetings" or "special thanks to" Cheesy

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline pepe

Nothing unreal exists

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-03-01 09:28:06 »

Why not doing a spindizzy like game?
Loved it, back in those years of 8 bits 'computers'.. Smiley
Would be extremly fun, now that networking is 'easy'.
Don't you think?

Home page: http://frederic.barachant.com
------------------------------------------------------
GoSub: java2D gamechmark http://frederic.barachant.com/GoSub/GoSub.jnlp
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-03-01 21:11:20 »

"or... u can make a flipper..."

flipper=pinball :>

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

« Reply #4 - Posted 2003-03-06 00:26:35 »

/me slaps Orangy Tang with .net

u could at least say that u dont like my ideas :/

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline Micke

Senior Newbie

Yada-yada

« Reply #5 - Posted 2003-03-15 09:09:15 »

I had a mind to do a multiplayer Marble Madness for a while - but realized that I would probably be the only one who would enjoy playing it (sort of takes cream out of mulitplayer, doesn't it)... But I really do like the idea - Spindizzy/Marble Madness/Gyroscope X/Any other half-clone you can of would be fun in da network

/M
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (18 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (26 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (15 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (13 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (34 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (43 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (31 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
List of Learning Resources
by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 18:26:06

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 13:54:12

HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org