Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  What IDE do you use?  (Read 4937 times)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Posted 2004-07-28 00:52:16 »

NB: I made it multi-choice purely so that those who use one IDE at work, and a different one at home, can register both. I'd prefer to do it as "which do you use for games" and "which do you use at all" but it was too much effort all round Smiley.

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-07-28 00:54:16 »

PS I use eclipse 2.x because it's the only available in debian - and even then it's in the "most unstable/insecure of all and you probably shouldn't run it at all" category Smiley.

It seems to be pretty stable and nippy so far, although there are a few usability bugs Sad.

Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-07-28 01:49:05 »

JCreator but its not on your list....
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-07-28 02:07:38 »

Doh! Fixed.

Now I bet two more will be listed, and I'll run out of options. mumblegrumbleYaBBsucksmumble..

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-07-28 03:07:54 »

You forgot IntelliJ Idea.  (Which based on my informal observations seems to win in the "best overall IDE if you can afford it" category.)

Me, I use Eclipse 3

Blah, Why don't you just download Eclipse 3 from eclipse.org and run it on Debian?

Offline jbanes

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

"Java Games? Incredible! Mr. Incredible, that is!"

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-07-28 03:30:17 »

Sorry Blah, but I've got prior art on you. I also wrote some commentary on the results.

Not that any of this should spoil your fun. Smiley

BTW, I chose Netbeans for Java and JEdit for "web page-like files" (e.g. PHP, CFM, etc.)

Java Game Console Project
Last Journal Entry: 12/17/04
Offline Herkules

Friendly fire isn't friendly!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-07-28 06:30:00 »

You forgot IntelliJ Idea.

IntelliJ definately is one of the very best! Shouldn't miss here. And JBuilder?? Sucks, but it is widely used....

Gel?

Personally I'm with NetBeans, too.

HARDCODE    --     DRTS/FlyingGuns/JPilot/JXInput  --    skype me: joerg.plewe
Offline Bombadil

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-07-28 07:11:34 »

Yes Blah, bad poll, you forgot one of the veteran Java IDEs: Borland's JBuilder.

And JBuilder?? Sucks, but it is widely used....

It's very nice actually.
Offline gregof

in code we trust

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-07-28 08:19:01 »

Yes Blah, bad poll, you forgot one of the veteran Java IDEs: Borland's JBuilder.

It's very nice actually.

I second that :-)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-07-28 13:06:32 »

I didn't "forget" - I was adapting to YaBB's utterly awful poll system by deliberately leaving free spaces so that I could add wahtever you complained was missing first Smiley.

Unfortunately, we have only one space left (gotta love yabb!) and my original urge to start the poll was that I wanted to know the distributions of eclipse 2 vs 3, but thought a wider poll would be more interesting, so I'd like to keep the separation.

Perhaps, seeing as no-one has yet marked JCreator, I could dump that and instead have IDEA and JBuilder?

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Herkules

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-07-28 13:44:14 »

Dump Eclipse2, JCreator (pretty dead?) and vi/notepad (no IDE).

Or put the latter together with jedit?

Edit: ... and SunForte, bc. it basically is NetBeans....

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-07-28 14:54:34 »

Well, looking at the numbers, there's a clear difference between jedit and vi/etc.

Again, there's a clear numerical difference between Forte and NB Smiley. But I was most interested to see which of the two alternatives people were adopting - the Sun one, or the open-source one.

JCreator certainly doesn't look dead! (http://www.jcreator.com/customers.htm) although I got fed up 3 years ago when the author decided to cripple the free version and push people on to the paid version. It's kind of hard to see how JCreator will last long now Eclipse is around, although I guess it still fills that spot of "doesn't require 20Gb of RAM, and doesn't force the user into an 8-window-panes environment when all they want to do is edit a program" ?

Offline aNt

AFK

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-07-28 14:57:14 »

jbuilder  Grin
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-07-28 16:17:18 »

(Contentious decision: Jcreator has been axed again).

If anyone else is using it, give a shout, and I'll get rid of something else, probably Forte since no-one seems to be using that.

Offline Mojomonkey

ooh ooh eee eeee

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-07-28 16:21:01 »

I use the latest bleeding edge Eclipse... I update whenever I can.

One interesting one, Kawa, is missing. An Army contract I worked on required all developers use Kawa, and some people from that contract continue to use it and love it. I found it worked well, but I don't think it's supported anymore.

EDIT: Typo no good, fix now good.

Don't send a man to do a monkey's work.
Offline Abuse

JGO Coder

Medals: 10

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-07-28 21:37:30 »

I use JCreator too, Eclipse has just way too many options - its scaaary Tongue

Another 1 ive come across, but only used for a short time was Gel.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 51
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-07-28 23:45:50 »

JCreator (the free version) is one of the first things I install on a fresh PC, just because its become my favorite text editor. It does text/html/xml/java nicely enough, and starts up in a snap. Smiley Pretty easy to customise the syntax hightlighting as well if you want certain formats shown differently.

Last time I checked, the Pro version didn't actually add much of use. The claim of including a debugger is pretty much bogus, its a horrible command line type interface thats pretty much unusable (just a raw access to the jvm debugger I guess).

I couldn't work without Eclipse now though, best piece of open sorce software ever. Grin

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-07-29 02:20:29 »

Yeah, when we were just starting Grex, JCreator was - by general consensus - damn good. Before we decided to license it for all developers, though, the author went a bit overboard on removing features from the free version (crippling it, IMHO) and not adding anything to the pro version, and not bothering to release updates and fixes (IIRC, until then he'd released updates on a much more frequent basis).

Anyway, that was sufficiently distressing that we chose not to go with it after that point. We'd just been bitten by the evil scumsucking Component Software RCS - which we'd licensed, and then the bastards had withdrawn all support AND the damn thing corrupted our source archive. This was in breach of the support contract, but enforcing damages for a $200 product against a US company from the UK is too difficult so we just had to write it off, and restore code from backups. I still hate the bastards, though; we spent 3 months trying to get something out of them, and IIRC it was a total of 4 months before they even bothered responding, then they refused to re-imburse us (obviously, we didn't spend the intervening months not doing any work, so the product was now useless to us).

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-07-29 02:33:33 »

PS whilst I'm still annoyed that it's so buggy it wouldn't even install on my old linux OS, I'm finding eclipse so utterly luverly that pretty much all is forgiven. Just hoping it doesn't turn around and bite me now I've said that!

My only major problem with 2.x is that I haven't worked out a way to set the font size. This is a problem because I've had to set the system DPI to 150 or so to get decent sized fonts in all apps (hey, it's pretty nice that this now WORKS in X-windows: set the system DPI and all apps fonts immediately change accordingly!) but I need smaller fonts in eclipse (reading paragraphs of text, and super/subscript etc in word docs and webpages you need bigger fonts than for code-editing, which is generally much easier to read small I find).

PPS what's the mem usage like for 3.x? 2.x seems very lean right now...

Offline nonnus29

Giving Java a second chance after ludumdare fiasco

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-07-29 02:56:51 »

I'll chime in for JCreator again; I like it for many of the same reasons others mentioned; its speedy, lite, and I find the default  syntax highlighting colors to be soothing....  Ahh, purple....
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 285
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-07-29 10:25:36 »

3.0 is a vast, vast improvement on 2.x and it uses barely any more RAM. Typically 100-150MB depending on how you tweak the params. I run it under -server as well which speeds it up a fair amount after a while.

Cas Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-07-30 04:41:40 »

I just gave the NetBeans 4.0 daily build a try for the fun of it... it has improved quite a bit since I last checked the 3.x stream.  The 4.0 builds are still very buggy (on Mac).. but the project structure is much nicer now that i don't have to manually mount folders all over my filesystem.

I may switch to NetBeans when 4.0 is released so I can ditch that SWT hack.

Offline Chman

Nothing more that... Java games are cool !

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-07-30 15:20:07 »

I don't use any of these... I use Edit+ (http://www.editplus.com/) which is very lightweight and easy to use...

Chman
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

pixels! :x

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-07-30 17:40:19 »

I used Textpad, but JCreator does indeed look pretty nice. Too bad that all the nice stuff is in the pro version.

(My pc is way too slow for running something like Eclipse :-/)

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline nech_neb

Java for LIFE !!!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-07-30 19:14:18 »

Eclipse 2.x

and UltraEdit if I just want to do some quick change
on something.

Haven't gotten around to undating to 3.0 yet.
Will do sometime this week I guess.
Seems like no one had complaints about it so far ^_^
Offline PlanetMongo

Senior Newbie

Follow the yellow line.  Don't EAT the yellow line

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-07-31 21:29:29 »

Eclipse 3.0.  Just upgraded from 2.0.  Much nicer looking (cleaner).  Still a bit...sluggish on my G4 800 iBook, but completely usable.

For quick stuff, vi + javac.  Smiley

If you were me, you'd be good lookin - six string samurai
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-08-03 12:31:51 »

Eclipse 3.0.  Just upgraded from 2.0.

Does 3 remove the evil Satanic "remove all spaces from your code" hard-coded behaviour of the formatter? Or at the very least make it *optional*? i.e. everytime it sees:

gl.glVertex3f( 15f, 23f, 3f );

it replaces it with:

gl.glVertex3f(15f, 23f, 3f);

or even worse:

gl.glVertex3f(15f,23f,3f);

Puts code readability for complex bracketting right out the window. Really pisses me off that it destroys perfectly good source. Basic requirement of source code formatting : "if you don't have an option for changing something, then DON'T change it" Angry.

Offline Spasi
« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-08-03 13:23:44 »

Basic requirement of source code formatting : "if you don't have an option for changing something, then DON'T change it" Angry.

You really need to try out IDEA Wink

http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/code_style.html
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-08-03 15:29:59 »

Argh! Just discovered that eclipse 2 is vastly inferior to JEdit! Wink...where's my "global search and replace" gone? Have to change several strings in every file in a project ... Gulp.

Hmm. Now I know what I should have said when people scoffed at me using JEdit as an IDE...

I wish they'd find themselves a half-competent webmaster to sort out eclipse.org - it's still a trainwreck (like Omondo, just a little bit better). Can't find any release notes for v3 Sad. Also, no sign of the existence of debian packages Sad. Looks like I'm stuck in that netherworld of using two IDE's side by side now Sad.

Offline Herkules

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-08-03 15:57:51 »

Argh! Just discovered that eclipse 2 is vastly inferior to JEdit! Wink...where's my "global search and replace" gone?

Hey, they call it 'refactoring' today!!

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (6 views)
2014-04-24 23:00:44

xsi3rr4x (83 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (86 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (69 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (86 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (109 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (169 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (265 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (217 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45
Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-25 10:38:58

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-25 10:22:13

List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org