Games in Android Showcase (119)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (576)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  OpenGL.org: Xj3d now twice as fast without Java3D  (Read 5565 times)
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #30 - Posted 2004-07-21 20:01:27 »

The regexp in java.util.regexp is so buggy as to be non-functional.

Do you have details on this? I've mostly migrated from OROinc to util.regex now, and although I've not encountered any problems yet it would be nice to be aware of any mines...

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline zingbat

Senior Duke

Java games rock!

« Reply #31 - Posted 2004-07-21 21:00:12 »

Nice in theory but doesn't work in practice. We have some of our users that we're attempting to drag off 1.3 right now.  They're fighting kicking and screaming all the way too.  Moving to be solely 1.5 is an impossible pipedream for the next 3 years or more.  The only reason we're pushing these users to 1.4 is because JOGL has it as a hard requirement and they want to use that for the renderer for the better performance and not use Java3D.

User that persist on using 1.3 ? Considering that the sun jdk is free to download those guys have to be very stuborn people.

That is of no concern to us as we are not targeting that audience. It would be impossible to use Xj3D in any applet form without installing it first - either because of the JOGL/J3D requirements, or because of all the other non-safe stuff we do down the bottom, such as messing with threads, external network handling, property configuration etc.

Thats too bad. Still with jogl it may be possible to use xj3d to prototype game ideas.

Perhaps you've accidently reduced the maximum command line length in numbers of characters or something like that.

Nope I avoid messing with anything msdos related.
Offline zingbat

Senior Duke

Java games rock!

« Reply #32 - Posted 2004-07-21 21:06:50 »

Do you have details on this? I've mostly migrated from OROinc to util.regex now, and although I've not encountered any problems yet it would be nice to be aware of any mines...

Im not shure about this but if you try disassemble 1.5 proprietary class files into java source code you may notice that the gnu java regexp is in use there together with a lot of apache code for working with xml. The java.util.regexp api may a wraper to the gnu regexp.

I used jEdit with jInsight plugin to check this, but then again i am not shure i have used the program properly.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Mithrandir

Senior Duke

Cut from being on the bleeding edge too long

« Reply #33 - Posted 2004-07-22 01:57:51 »

User that persist on using 1.3 ? Considering that the sun jdk is free to download those guys have to be very stuborn people

Unfortunately, that's life for commercial software development. They have systems that have a known good baseline and want to maintain it. Also, consider that it was only 6 months or so ago that SGI released their JDK 1.4 port and you should be able to get the feeling why this is the case. Although we would love to run with the newest features all the time, clients like to have stable baselines to work from and not have to upgrade their software whenever we drop a new dev release (which is about every 2 weeks currently).  Like yourself, we are still getting bug reports from one user about M7 code, which is over 12 months old now.

Thats too bad. Still with jogl it may be possible to use xj3d to prototype game ideas.  

Everyone else seems to be more enthusiastic about this concept than I am. My personal opinion is that VRML/X3D is quite a poor choice for prototyping games beyond puzzle-solvers. I must be wrong though as a lot of people like the idea.  We are JWS capable now thanks to some work by one of our contributors, so at least that part is a start.  I also spent 3 weeks trying to build Xj3D as a native plugin to Mozilla courtesy of the Blackwood code, but that failed rather miserably Sad

As for the JOGL side, I will be writing a loader to suit the aviatrix scene graph shortly. I'd like to do something that works for those that want to play right with the raw GL commands, but don't really know the best way to go about it.  That's a low-priority requests from one of our clients, so if anyone has some ideas on what they'd like to see in that regard, shoot me a PM.

So, in summary - could we do better in documentation? Most certainly, I think it's never possible to not be able to do better. We're about to go through another round of internal API changes again across the whole codebase, so time to go back and check out everything we have. If you guys have any areas that you would like to see better documented, drop me a line with what you'd like looked at and we'll spend some time there on it sometime just after Siggraph.

The site for 3D Graphics information http://www.j3d.org/
Aviatrix3D JOGL Scenegraph http://aviatrix3d.j3d.org/
Programming is essentially a markup language surrounding mathematical formulae and thus, should not be patentable.
Offline Bombadil

Senior Duke

« Reply #34 - Posted 2004-07-22 05:56:13 »

I'd be interested too, because as old GAWK user I use java.util.regexp with pleasure and did find it to work fine for me. But then, I'm unfortunately just using Java in my spare time :-( so full time Java developers usually know more details.
Offline cfmdobbie

Senior Duke

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #35 - Posted 2004-07-22 10:12:33 »

No problems with regexp here, although I'm currently only using it in one slightly-bigger-than-small personal project.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline Mithrandir

Senior Duke

Cut from being on the bleeding edge too long

« Reply #36 - Posted 2004-07-23 14:33:25 »

It's been about 12 months or so since I last played with the portion of the code that does regexp (it's part of one of my other utility libraries, not Xj3D/Aviatrix3D/j3d.org).  It was about the 1.4.1 timeframe and I've not revisited it for 1.4.2.  Thus my memory of the exact problems is not that precise (meaning I'll probably have someone show me the errors of my ways Smiley )

I mainly use it for pulling apart an arbitrary ruleset for parsing resource location information for a generalised URI library.  I have configuration files that specify a resource subsystem component with a given name. Then a regular expression is defined for how to take a user-provided string and rip it apart to locate various pieces of vital information.  For each resource subsystem, the string format is extremely different in it's syntax.  This requires setting up some semi-fixed formats for the actual regular expression (delimiter types, sub-expression numbers etc).  

The JDK regexp library had a lot of issues dealing with the arbitrary input of the regular expression - particularly dealing with finding non-alphanumeric delimiters in the provided string. For example, it would have issues is the delimiter was an ampersand character rather than a backslash.  Another area I vaguely recall it had problems dealing with was the escaping of characters being put into the strings to do the subexpression parsing with.  Sometimes it would just arbtririly decide the regular expression was invalid, other times valid - for an identical input string. The JDK version seemed to have no consistent behaviour in this regard.  So, while it seems OK if I have a known, fixed expression that I want to match with, for arbitrary setups read out of external config files where there was no control at all, it would fall over quite miserably, while the GNU libraries had no issues at all dealing with identical input.

The site for 3D Graphics information http://www.j3d.org/
Aviatrix3D JOGL Scenegraph http://aviatrix3d.j3d.org/
Programming is essentially a markup language surrounding mathematical formulae and thus, should not be patentable.
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Longarmx (37 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (28 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (24 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (28 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58

TehJavaDev (52 views)
2014-10-14 00:39:48

TehJavaDev (54 views)
2014-10-14 00:35:47

TehJavaDev (42 views)
2014-10-14 00:32:37

BurntPizza (64 views)
2014-10-11 23:24:42

BurntPizza (36 views)
2014-10-11 23:10:45

BurntPizza (77 views)
2014-10-11 22:30:10
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org