Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (592)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  advice for debugging weird error  (Read 1963 times)
Offline JasonB

Junior Devvie

« Posted 2004-06-30 18:32:11 »

One of our (server-side) apps runs perfectly for anything up to a couple of weeks, and then will suddenly start running at 100% of the CPU.  The problem is completely intermittent.  When it started happening a couple of months ago, it was during peak usage, then happened a week or so later at the lowest point of usage during the day, then happened 2 days later, then ran fine for another 3 weeks.

After the latest occurrence, top shows 3 threads that are causing the problem, but as far as I know, there's no way to map a PID to a Java thread.  The stack dump produced by kill -3 shows me nothing obvious, although perhaps I'm don't know what I should be looking for.

The worst part about this problem is that I've been completely unable to reproduce it during testing.  Frustrated hair pulling, ahoy!

Anyone have any thoughts/advice...?

Thx
J
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-06-30 19:12:50 »

1. perhaps this is better in networking, or is it nothing to do with games? Smiley

2. Could be a hacker. Never underestimate the number of strange problems they can cause, often through acts of random incompetence rather than insightful brilliance.

3. Which stress testing framework are you using?

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline JasonB

Junior Devvie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-06-30 20:49:02 »

1.  not really games.  sort of entertainment-related though.

2.  can't see anything obvious in terms of security breaches.  my sys admin is pretty damn on to it, in regard to security. in fact he's anal retentive, so I'm doubtful it's a hacker.  might be wrong of course, so I'll get him to take another look.

3.  using jakarta jmeter to stress test.  and I hate it.  currently hunting around for a console-based, scripted test tool.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161