Games in Android Showcase (127)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (594)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Yet another speed comparison,weird server results  (Read 6545 times)
Offline Mark Thornton

Senior Devvie

« Reply #30 - Posted 2004-06-25 07:57:49 »

The server VM does check for SSE as well as SSE2, but yes support for more processor dependent features (or performance differences) would be welcome.
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Medals: 16
Projects: 4
Exp: 14 years

Maximumisness

« Reply #31 - Posted 2004-06-30 20:09:38 »

The bug report has been approved.

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5070061

(It may take a day or two to show up).

Make sure to vote for this bug if you feel it affects your work.

Offline Azeem Jiva

Junior Devvie

Java VM Engineer, Sun Microsystems

« Reply #32 - Posted 2004-07-14 18:17:23 »

Hi,
  The reason Server is slower than client is the way it handles FP.  Its just inefficiently coded.  That's why P4's run the mandelbrot faster, because of the extra available registers (the 8 SSE registers), which reduces register pressure.  Basically it was decided that SSE is the future, and server was optimized for that.  There really isn't much to be gained to improving the FP code.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #33 - Posted 2004-07-14 22:39:18 »

Basically it was decided that SSE is the future, and server was optimized for that.  There really isn't much to be gained to improving the FP code.

I'm thinking about the here and now.
This isn't about improving FP code, it's about fixing a rather serious performance bug in the server. Remember the majority of people don't have SSE2 and are affected by this bug.
They could at least copy and paste the FP code from the client version methinks Smiley

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Exp: 12 years

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #34 - Posted 2004-07-15 00:03:58 »

ajiva, based on your comments I'm guessing you are a Sun engineer? Am I right?  If so, what do you do at Sun?

Offline Azeem Jiva

Junior Devvie

« Reply #35 - Posted 2004-07-15 13:59:13 »

First of all, yes I work for Sun, working on Server (4 years here so far).  Secondly, its not easy to just copy and paste the code.  There were very different methologies used to get to where each of the compilers are now.  Client is faster because of so many reasons, and when it came time to speed up FP code for Server it was decided that we should optimize for SSE, because that really is the future.  SSE provides several benefits, and yes even Athlons will get them too.

- 8 FP registers, this is the biggie.  X86 has way too few registers, and if your doing FP work, you'll need these registers.
- Even if you have an Athlon (or P3 for that matter), just stick to using Floats and you'll used the single precision SSE instructions (vs the double precision SSE2 ones).  Now if your code requires double precision, well go buy a P4 (or an Opteron) Smiley

Really we were thinking about the future here, and the fact of the matter is that all new Processors would be SSE/SSE2 enabled and we felt that it was better to work towards that then try to minimally improve FP for older processors
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 425
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #36 - Posted 2004-07-15 16:47:38 »

Now you've revealed yourself you will never escape us Smiley

What's the scoop on
- escape analysis
- two-phase compilation (ie. the merging of client and server VMs)
- Structs (see RFE...)

Cas Smiley

Offline Azeem Jiva

Junior Devvie

« Reply #37 - Posted 2004-07-15 16:51:37 »

I can't talk about future work...
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #38 - Posted 2004-07-16 03:33:45 »

Fair enough...
Can you talk about what IS in the 1.5 betas?  In other words can you confirm that escape analysis for instance isn't in the current 1.5 betas.... that way at least you aren't talking about "future" work and we can get an idea of what (not) to expect.

Basically it would be great to get an idea of the performance enhancements that are going into the 1.5 VMs.  Hopefully there are some Smiley.

Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #39 - Posted 2004-07-16 03:51:24 »

- 8 FP registers, this is the biggie.  X86 has way too few registers, and if your doing FP work, you'll need these registers.

[offtopic-rant]
The Intel processor architecture sucks big time - there is no debating that... it hasn't come very far from the ancient calculator it was based on as far as that goes Smiley   That's one of the many reasons I went with a Mac.

Sparc, PowerPC, MIPs, Alpha.. all superior.  All but Sparc suffering because MS wouldn't continue to keep NT working on them - I suspect the MS developers had trouble with machines that had more registers than they had fingers.  Not having an operating system kinda makes your processor less popular Smiley.
[/offtopic-rant]

The opteron has lots of registers (that aren't SSE) doesn't it?  I remember reading something that indicated it was a decent processor - 32 or so general purpose registers, instead of 5 or 6 special purpose ones or whatever intel has these days

SSE is mostly about vector instructions anyway isn't it.  Exploiting that really gets you some speed if you can do it.  The extra registers are just good in general.  I keep suggesting that the bits of native code that are in the JRE use optimized assembly with SSE/SSE2 for things like JPEG loaders, and image blitting loops the improvements would be huge. All of Java2D's AlphaCompositing rules could be implemented with SSE2 and they would scream.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline erikd

JGO Ninja

Maximumisness

« Reply #40 - Posted 2004-07-16 09:47:11 »

Secondly, its not easy to just copy and paste the code.

I didn't seriously expect it to be that easy  Smiley
Well, at least we know what the situation is regarding this, although it's a little bit disappointing:
* The server's non SSE2 FP code is (and I quote) 'ineffeciently coded'.
* It won't be improved because Sun thinks SSE2 supporting CPU's have the future, regardless of what the majority of people uses right now.

I am not really affected by this bug because I rarely use any doubles and I my games are usually run on the client anyway. And of course this benchmark puts heavy emphasis on the bad double performance so in real life it's not as bad as it looks here.

Offline Bombadil

Senior Devvie

« Reply #41 - Posted 2004-07-16 10:33:55 »

Welcome Ajiva. Nice to see SUN engineers taking part in this forum. :-)  Even more nice that you like games.

PS to the fellow readers: Please have a look at Ajiva's weblog, which is informative. (Also clickable via his profile)
Offline princec

« JGO Spiffy Duke »

Medals: 425
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #42 - Posted 2004-07-16 11:18:34 »

He'll be sick to death of us in no time Wink Eventually he'll have to change his name and go live under a rock.

Cas Smiley

Offline Azeem Jiva

Junior Devvie

« Reply #43 - Posted 2004-07-16 11:42:04 »

Fair enough...
Can you talk about what IS in the 1.5 betas?  In other words can you confirm that escape analysis for instance isn't in the current 1.5 betas.... that way at least you aren't talking about "future" work and we can get an idea of what (not) to expect.

Basically it would be great to get an idea of the performance enhancements that are going into the 1.5 VMs.  Hopefully there are some Smiley.

Neither Escape Analysis nor Tier Compilation is in J2SE 5.0

These are just off the top of my head:

Server
- Trig speed up (Solaris SPARC and Solaris x86 only)
- instructions similar to this (long = int & 0xFFFFL )  This was
 done for the cyrpto folks who do alot of unsigned work
- Inlining/Loop Opts improvements
- Startup improvements via Class Data Sharing (this is client and server)

Tons of bug fixes Smiley  J2SE 5.0 is the most stable VM yet...
Offline Abuse

JGO Knight

Medals: 14

falling into the abyss of reality

« Reply #44 - Posted 2004-07-16 18:50:13 »

Tons of bug fixes   J2SE 5.0 is the most stable VM yet...

Progressing 3.5 versions in 1 release, I would hope so ^_^

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen! Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54785909/EliteIVsmaller.png
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #45 - Posted 2004-07-16 23:10:12 »

Hmm.. most enhancements are for the Server VM.... the VM that is basically missing from the client side Sad... where the games run...  Or did they fix the fact that the server VM is not installed as part of the JRE.  (only in the JDK last I checked)

Nice to see some of those in any case.  How come the trig optimizations are specific to Solaris?  That is, if it effects Solaris on x86, does the same optimization not apply to x86 elsewhere?

Offline Azeem Jiva

Junior Devvie

« Reply #46 - Posted 2004-07-18 17:02:40 »

Hmm.. most enhancements are for the Server VM.... the VM that is basically missing from the client side Sad... where the games run...  Or did they fix the fact that the server VM is not installed as part of the JRE.  (only in the JDK last I checked)

Nice to see some of those in any case.  How come the trig optimizations are specific to Solaris?  That is, if it effects Solaris on x86, does the same optimization not apply to x86 elsewhere?

The way the trig functions work, is that when you call out to sin (for example), the VM use to execute a JNI call to a C++ library and return the resulting value.  This is slow, so to speed it up, I now short cut the whole thing, and have the VM recongize that a direct C++ call can me made instead.  So this is great, except that the compilers we use for Windows (VC6++) and Linux (GCC 3.2) have an aliasing problem with the way the C++ code is structured.  So we had to turn down the optimizations for those platforms.  The Sun Compilers do not have this problem, and therefore we can crank up the optimizations.

And no server does not come with the JRE...
Offline crystalsquid

Junior Devvie

... Boing ...

« Reply #47 - Posted 2004-07-18 19:21:10 »

AFAIK, the C++ library trig functions just do the Taylor series expansion - which could be done in straight Java code & execute almost as fast as the C++ one - probably faster than the JNI call on all platforms.

- Dom
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #48 - Posted 2004-07-18 20:16:05 »

...the compilers we use for Windows (VC6++) and Linux (GCC 3.2) have an aliasing problem...

You aren't using VC7?  Is there a reason for that?
Better yet you should use the Intel compiler - it performs much better than VC6 - particularly with floating point operations.  Though it compiles much slower.  I know of at least one commercial project that compiles their release builds with the intel compiler because they see a significant performance boost.  They are making a visual effects (processing movie frames) number crunching application that needs every bit of speed it can get.

But crystal squid has an interesting point.  Why not a pure java implementation?  Should it not get compiled to the same basic instructions as the C-library code, at least close enough that the JNI overhead saved would be more than the difference?

Pages: 1 [2]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

PocketCrafter7 (12 views)
2014-11-28 16:25:35

PocketCrafter7 (8 views)
2014-11-28 16:25:09

PocketCrafter7 (8 views)
2014-11-28 16:24:29

toopeicgaming1999 (75 views)
2014-11-26 15:22:04

toopeicgaming1999 (65 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:36

toopeicgaming1999 (15 views)
2014-11-26 15:20:08

SHC (29 views)
2014-11-25 12:00:59

SHC (27 views)
2014-11-25 11:53:45

Norakomi (32 views)
2014-11-25 11:26:43

Gibbo3771 (28 views)
2014-11-24 19:59:16
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org