Games in Android Showcase (106)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (530)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  java.net Fairness Board Election  (Read 1824 times)
Offline jbob

Junior Newbie

Where's my Java3D glasses??

« Posted 2004-06-18 20:29:09 »

Nominations begin this Sunday for a seat on the java.net Fairness Board. For a description of the Fairness board and how the election process works see my weblog entry

http://weblogs.java.net/pub/wlg/1436

Also visit the java.net voting project to get involved.

http://voting.dev.java.net
Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-06-19 08:56:35 »

Hm, we already have a Community Board.  Huh

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline cfmdobbie

Medals: 1

Who, me?

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-06-19 09:51:10 »

This looks like a java.net thing, rather than games.dev.java.net. Wink

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline jbob

Junior Newbie

Where's my Java3D glasses??

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-06-20 14:03:41 »

games.java.net is a java.net Community.  The Fairness Board is part of java.net governance which effects all java.net communities, including the games community.

Members of the games community are welcomed and encouraged to nominate members for this position and vote during the election.

It is not directly related to the day to day business of the games community, but is another opportunity for the games community to have a voice in the governance of java.net.

Thanks!
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-06-20 14:29:37 »

EDIT: it's not that I'm bitter or anything, it's just that I expect most people around here haven't found anything in java.net's system useful enough that they really care what happens with java.net.

I'm not sure there's anything to say to the java.net community, seeing as the general consensus appears to be that java.net's collabnet system is a PITA to many of us, and appears to get in the way at almost every opportunity Grin.

I'm guessing it's just the wrong tool for the job, but I haven't yet found a single feature of collabnet that I was pleased to have (and it's the first system I've met that made me positively *yearn* for PHPgroupware!). The fact that it's so slow (page loads) doesn't exactly win points either Sad.

Shrug. Maybe it's just me. But as it stands the only aspect of java.net I care about is to get the javagaming stuff off it as fast as possible Grin, and get us better webpages, better features, faster servers, and dispense with the confusing and timewasting collabnet permissions system - and then maybe it would be sufficiently easy for the GTG to do the things they've wanted for the last few years but haven't that they could actually do them. (things like posting articles etc).

It would be nice to have a system sufficiently usable that people made that their entrance to jgo, rather than the forums (or has this now changed? I remember last time it came up that most people claimed to be coming direct to the forums rather than the front page of jgo...and I still do).

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline Chman

Nothing more that... Java games are cool !

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-06-20 19:40:10 »

Shrug. Maybe it's just me. But as it stands the only aspect of java.net I care about is to get the javagaming stuff off it as fast as possible Grin, and get us better webpages, better features, faster servers, and dispense with the confusing and timewasting collabnet permissions system - and then maybe it would be sufficiently easy for the GTG to do the things they've wanted for the last few years but haven't that they could actually do them. (things like posting articles etc).

I totally agree with your point of view... In this case, we should make a JavaGaming website (independant from java.net) with interesting features (article posting etc...).
Finding webdesigners is not the problem, finding a dedicated server is......................

Chman
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-06-20 20:23:10 »

I totally agree with your point of view... In this case, we should make a JavaGaming website (independant from java.net) with interesting features (article posting etc...).

This is what JGF is doing at the moment (although in the long run I have ambitious plans for it doing that and a lot more).

We have regularly updated / added-to articles, developer-diaries, 40+ java games, etc. I've been too busy to do much during the last month (what with the competition + day job) but there are several items "in progress" that I will try chivying along soon.

Until it reaches 2Gb or so b/w a month, we can host it on grexengine.com without problems. At the moment, I'm casting about trying to decide what system to move the hosting too: Zope seems like it probably couldn't handle the load, MySQL is too low-level, and I have very low opinions of the standard PHP groupware. If some other knowledgeable people would come forwards and help make a plan for which system then I would push through the move to a new host + domain; at the moment, we're still mostly within the bounds of XSLT (and the way it's going it looks as though MySQL + XSLT + PHP could be a fast, efficient custom solution that works wonders...)

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-06-20 21:05:57 »

(and the way it's going it looks as though MySQL + XSLT + PHP could be a fast, efficient custom solution that works wonders...)

Last time I tried, compiling XSL stylesheets into translets produced very fast transformations, and was very easy to set up.  Might be worth a half-hour playing with them?

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-06-21 00:36:12 »

Last time I tried, compiling XSL stylesheets into translets produced very fast transformations, and was very easy to set up.  Might be worth a half-hour playing with them?

<OT> the whole site is already running off stylesheets, and on-demand re-translation (i.e. only when new things are submitted) is lightning quick, leaving us with most pages as pre-generated HTML which is then also lightning quick to serve.

The big question though is maintainability + time necessary to set it up. GameDev.net is still suffering from having made their own proprietary system, and flipcode is ...well... dead AFAICS mainly because they tried to do everything proprietary, and JGF is unlikely to get anywhere near as much resource as they have(/had); this has to be quick to setup and easy to maintain...
</OT>

Don't understand why Sun bought collabnet. Pile of crud that doesn't do much except get in the way AFAICS Tongue. One of my greatest fears for JGF is making an equally stupid mistake when selecting the system/framework and ending up 2 years from now in a position not dissimilar to JGO today...

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-06-21 01:33:40 »

GameDev.net is still suffering from having made their own proprietary system

After the site upgrade sometime a couple of weeks ago its looking quite impressive. The whole site actually appears to intergrate together really well, instead of the usual harsh divide between site and forums. The Planet websites (PlanetQuake, PlanetB&W etc.) used to do that well also, before they became a commercial POS.

I've been keeping an eye on TikiWiki. It seems to do the whole intergration thing well, and includes everything including the kitchen sink in their feature list. I may actually get enough time to try it out some time. Embarrassed

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

ctomni231 (33 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (29 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (24 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (26 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (41 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (43 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53

OpenGLShaders (31 views)
2014-07-14 16:23:47

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-14 11:51:35

quew8 (29 views)
2014-07-13 13:57:52

SHC (65 views)
2014-07-12 17:50:04
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org