Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  
  Naming Games  (Read 5642 times)
Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Posted 2004-06-09 15:01:21 »

Hi all,
I have my game ready for a title, so far, all ive comeup with is XVII, pronouced seventeen (for those who dont know roman numerals  Tongue)

Any more ideas?

Its a tactical espionage action sort of game, sorta like Metal Gear solid meats Iraq sorta thing.

Friends don't let friends make MMORPGs.

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Online kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 118
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-06-09 15:10:21 »

Show us the game and we'll give you a name Wink

"Infiltration" or "Infiltrator" come to mind tho..

Kev

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-06-09 15:35:27 »

Show us the game and we'll give you a name Wink

"Infiltration" or "Infiltrator" come to mind tho..

Kev

Sticking with the "filtrator" theme, howabout "Liebig Condenser" ? Grin

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-06-09 15:45:47 »

its gonna be a comercial game, simply because im skint, so you'l only see the alpha.

When I hear you say? wait for it...when its ready!  Tongue

Edit: One more thing, im gonna sell it for 99 pence, so less than a pound or less than $1.50  Grin

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-06-09 18:07:41 »

Can you please tell me the performance you obtain from the following demo, and yes blah^3, its webstarted!  Wink

http://www.myjavaserver.com/~digiwired/xv.jnlp

Keys: Right to move
         Space to shoot

Can you please include your system specs, the fps obtained. And can you please comment on the starting up times.

Thanks

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline swpalmer

JGO Coder

Where's the Kaboom?

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-06-09 18:30:29 »

Synced to 60fps without trouble..  it doesn't really do much yet so I would be surprised if it couldn't keep up.

Need a key to exit though!

Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-06-09 18:43:24 »

Alt-F4 does the trick. The test was the shear amount of vertices made without culling. there were 1024 blades of grass, each with 12 vertices and 24 faces. So you can imagine, quite alot of stuff going on, even tho it doesn't show. Thats not counting the model, and the lighting.

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-06-09 18:58:47 »

Same old problem with many recent LWJGL games - your mode selection routine is broken. I'm guessing now that it's actually LWJGL's mode selection that is broken because so many LWJGL games keep failing (where older ones all worked).

I just get a completely meaningless useless error saying it failed to select a screen mode. Not helpful. Looks silly.

Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-06-09 19:07:01 »

you are using Linux right? so did you choose 0Hz?

Also, you said your using 1.5Beta, try 1.4.2_04, that works with me on Windows

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-06-09 19:19:00 »

Blah3h, try selecting "0Hz (Linux)" in the frequency drop-down.  That's what fixes it for me... on my Win98 box. :-/

Yep, works here.  FPS shows between 59-62, so the frame rate lock appears to be holding.  Startup time is okay.

Win98SE, 700MHz Athlon, GeForce4 MX 420, 56.64 drivers, JDK 1.4.2.

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-06-09 19:30:46 »

you are using Linux right? so did you choose 0Hz?

Actually it's not only Linux that reports 0Hz, but that's irrelevant - you shouldn't allow the selection of any mode that doesn't appear in Display.getAvailableDisplayModes().

On my computer, for instance, LWJGL reports resolutions from 640x480 to 1920x1200 at either 16- or 32-bit, and all at 0Hz.  Allowing me to select anything that isn't in that list is guaranteed to fail.  And as you aren't allowed to create DisplayMode objects manually any more, you'll have to walk through the list manually checking the input and handling bad input yourself.  Approach display mode selection from the other side and you'll find everything gets easier. Wink

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-06-09 20:20:44 »

I never use the beta jvm except on special occasions! So, this is 1.4.2_04, and no modes work. I'm not kidding. None of them. At least, I've been here before and tried stepping through them one by one and not a single one worked.

The irritatingly pointless error message (it tells you nothing of any use - no suggestions, no explanations) just adds insult to injury Angry but everyone else's is the same (I've sent some suggestions to the jME guys about how they could make a dialog that instead of annoying users and not working, with no error details, could actually help, and maybe they will come up with something that they give back to LWJGL...)

AFAICS, it is absolutely essential that LWJGL and JOGL provide their own API's to do this - mode selection is definitely NON trivial and yet easily encapsulated to work for every single developer. (if any JOGL or LWJGL guys intend to have a go at improving things, I could forward them the suggestions I sent to jME - but if no-one's going to work on it then there's no point Smiley).

Offline DrBizzar0

Raj raj!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-06-09 21:05:40 »

Ran smooth at the chosen refresh rate.

winXP, geforce4, athlon2.0ghz, jre 1.4.2_04

As for a title what about combining your own and kevglass idea - Infiltrator XVII.   Cheesy
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 339
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-06-09 22:51:10 »

It's a bit of a mystery why LWJGL screen mode selection is suddenly broken, despite our best efforts to prevent people from getting it wrong.

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-06-09 23:50:28 »

It's a bit of a mystery why LWJGL screen mode selection is suddenly broken, despite our best efforts to prevent people from getting it wrong.

Cas Smiley

Do you think it's just co-incidence that it's happening a lot lately, or that it might be some change to LWJGL in recent versions?

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-06-10 09:41:24 »

It wasn't anything I did to it Sad Actually it might have been Elias now I think of it... he tweaked the code to use ARB pixel formats. And now I think of it even more it broke Super Elvis and I removed the pixel format code and recompiled my own dll...

...time for an interim release methinks.

Cas Smiley

Offline monkeyget

Senior Newbie

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-06-10 11:11:24 »

windows98
geforce3
java1.4.2

I have the invalid display mods problem too (for all the games, not just this one), 0hz trick works fine.
javaw crash when i make alt+f4 (i think it's not just for this game either).

Runs fine at 60fps.
Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-06-10 11:12:19 »

blah^3. If you would like to change the resolution or frequency or depth that are not available in the little dialog box. Open Properties.cfg file, and change the attributes accordingly. But I will have to change a property in the game first.

As for the "invalid display mode" we are simply getting input back, either true or false, from lwjgl and giving it to you. Honestly speaking, we dont know whether it was the frequency that is not supported by you card, the depth or the resolution! Im sure lwjgl has a method to do so, and we're simply not using it.

Are there any other linux box's out there? Ive tried jME on my box and it works like a charm, not sure whats going on with your box blah^3. Maybe its about time you invested in a better graphics card? Geforce2 are 5 generations old  :-/

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-06-10 12:09:04 »

blah^3. If you would like to change the resolution or frequency or depth that are not available in the little dialog box. Open Properties.cfg file, and change the attributes accordingly. But I will have to change a property in the game first.

OK, I might try that (suddenly very busy at work again though, so maybe just wait to see if Cas's interim LWJGL release does the trick?)

Im sure lwjgl has a method to do so, and we're simply not using it.

IIRC it doesn't give sufficient information here, which is why debugging these display mode problems is very hard. Maybe this is because the APIs that LWJGL is using don't give enough info either Sad.

Maybe its about time you invested in a better graphics card? Geforce2 are 5 generations old  :-/

If only! Laptop... Sad

Online kevglass

JGO Kernel

Medals: 118
Projects: 23
Exp: 18 years

Coder, Trainee Pixel Artist, Game Reviewer

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-06-10 13:14:29 »

Maybe its about time you invested in a better graphics card? Geforce2 are 5 generations old  

Unfortunately an undeniably popular card with todays gamers (especially when you're looking at budget market).

Kev

Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-06-10 13:17:48 »

I totally agree, but this game wont be finished for another month or so, so hopefully by that time, Geforce's are out!  Shocked

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-06-10 14:29:50 »

LWJGL gives *tons* of display mode debugging if you but ask it to...

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-06-10 14:36:20 »

LWJGL gives *tons* of display mode debugging if you but ask it to...

Cas Smiley

Wonderful. In which, case it definitely needs a higher-level API on top of it, because I've never seen an LWJGL game which gives an error message any more verbose than "couldn't select screenmode".

Which, as noted above, is entirely useless. You might as well not have any text at all, and just display the "error" icon! (many games don't seem to say anything much beyond "invalid" or "failed" Sad)

EDIT: and JOGL games don't seem to be any better ?

Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-06-10 15:24:18 »

Typical amateur (hah! professional too) code looks like this:
try {
Display.setDisplayMode(someModeIJustPickedFromThinAir);
} catch (Exception e) {
// ignore
}

Except without the // ignore comment.

There is actually an org.lwjgl.util.Display class that lets you filter, match, and sort display modes and then tries everything it can until it gets one that works before it throws its hands in the air and raises an exception.

Personally I am 100% against allowing the user to select a display mode from a game. Ever.

Cas Smiley

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-06-10 15:40:35 »

There is actually an org.lwjgl.util.Display class that lets you filter,

So, you're saying it's just an education problem? ...time to get the LWJGL doc projects going? Tongue

Personally I am 100% against allowing the user to select a display mode from a game. Ever.

I too believe it should be unnecessary, although I haven't tried it enough in recent years to have your conviction that it truly isn't ever necessary.

Offline Orangy Tang

JGO Kernel

Medals: 56
Projects: 11

Monkey for a head

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-06-10 16:03:06 »

EDIT: and JOGL games don't seem to be any better ?

Actually this is one of the areas in which Jogl fails badly in. LWJGL (as above) raises an exception right when you try creating a display, giving you an option to try something else instead of giving up. Jogl on the other hand continues just fine on creation, only to give you a rather cryptic "context could not be made current" when you actually get round to drawing anything. Made even further complicated by the fact that the same error gets kicked off for practically any Jogl error. :S

End result being that although LWJGL display creation is tricky, it can be much more robust than the current Jogl create-and-pray method. Angry

[ TriangularPixels.com - Play Growth Spurt, Rescue Squad and Snowman Village ] [ Rebirth - game resource library ]
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

pixels! :x

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-06-11 13:11:10 »

[...]
[...]

Ye... I wish there won't be TFTs :-/

Maybe I should just stay with a fixed 800x600 resolution? I don't know.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-06-11 13:50:57 »

More and more I'm inclined to either insist one a particular resolution - 8x6 is good - or use the user's desktop resolution without changing the display mode.

Cas Smiley

Offline darkprophet

Go Go Gadget Arms

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-06-11 15:19:01 »

right, enough of the hijacking of my thread and back to the original subject Grin

We got "Infiltration XVII", any more? Keep em coming in.

Blog | Volatile-Engine
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-06-11 15:49:49 »

Invade a Furrin Country And Murder Them While They Sleep?

<edit> j/k!

Cas Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

ctomni231 (34 views)
2014-07-18 06:55:21

Zero Volt (30 views)
2014-07-17 23:47:54

danieldean (25 views)
2014-07-17 23:41:23

MustardPeter (27 views)
2014-07-16 23:30:00

Cero (42 views)
2014-07-16 00:42:17

Riven (44 views)
2014-07-14 18:02:53

OpenGLShaders (33 views)
2014-07-14 16:23:47

Riven (34 views)
2014-07-14 11:51:35

quew8 (30 views)
2014-07-13 13:57:52

SHC (66 views)
2014-07-12 17:50:04
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org