News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  Terrain  (Read 2795 times)
Offline inigmas

Junior Newbie

« Posted 2003-02-09 21:32:37 »

I'm trying to write a sprite-based 2D game using Java 1.4 and I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on how to make 3D looking terrain (with hills, valleys, ect...) in a 2D world.  I'm really looking for a programatical solution though.  i.e - I dont want to have a giant bitmap with meta data to represent the terrain.

Thanks,
  Inigmas

Tam Mercurio Quam Marti
Offline snak

Senior Newbie

Eu não falo o português

« Reply #1 - Posted 2003-02-10 12:45:46 »

What do you mean by the bitmap comment?  That you don't want to have to draw your terrain by hand, or that you don't want to have to dedicate a lot of storage to the details of the terrain at runtime?

What perspective are you using?  Isometric?
Offline Stuart Still

Senior Newbie

« Reply #2 - Posted 2003-02-10 13:06:47 »

Do you mean like C&C Tiberian Sun, where they had faked 3D terrain by having shaded tiles that looked kind of sloped, and by moving the unit 'up' the slope in addition to they way they were moving already (if you catch my drift).  If so then I have no idea how to do it, maybe someone else will Smiley

Stu
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline inigmas

Junior Newbie

« Reply #3 - Posted 2003-02-10 17:00:18 »

The first one Snak... I don't want to have to draw out a map by hand, and load a giant picture with metadata associated with it for the height.  However, the storage of terrain details at runtime should be quite acceptable.  Also, the engine will be in the Isometric view point, mainly to help with the illusion of 3D buildings, people and other objects.  

Yes Stustill, I'm going for a similar effect as the C&C terrain, but closer to the ground than the bird's eye view of C&C.

Thanks,
  Inigmas

Tam Mercurio Quam Marti
8: Undefined index: online
File: /home/jgo/public_html/Themes/default/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 161