Games in Android Showcase (107)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (536)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  *new* xith.org site redesign  (Read 3137 times)
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Posted 2004-04-21 14:36:22 »

Announcing the all new, much sleeker and twice as shiny as before: xith.org

The site uses the excellent TikiWiki Wiki/CMS PHP software.  This software provides so many features I had to turn most of them off.  Ones relevant to us are the wiki which the site will mainly use, an article and image gallery section (which I may setup later) and an FAQ system.

It uses templating thankfully (so I retain my sanity when I upgrade it in the future...) - and I have made many modifications to remove some of the confusion and bulk that you get with the default design.  I hope you like the styling Smiley

The great news is that now it is possible for anyone to edit the site (if they have the relevant permissions).   So Java Cool Dude can update his demos Wink   The front pages (Intro, Demos, Docs, Download, Credits, Links etc) will only be editable by a few people.  The remainder (of particular note the installation docs) I will allow registered users to edit (of course we can undo any changes we don't like...).  People can also recommend FAQ questions and answers which is a cool feature.  Any registered user who wants a page in the Wiki however can make one and they have full control over it.  For example if you want a place to list your demos - then xith.org can be that place.

users.xith.org will continue to house independent xith related pages.

If you want to compare the old site - visit http://xith.org/old/ for a limited time only Wink

Cheers,

Will.

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-04-21 15:05:50 »

It looks quite nice.  Cheesy

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline led

Senior Newbie

:)

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-04-21 16:59:11 »

nice nice nice Smiley
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SpuTTer

Medals: 1

Lazy Middle Class Intellectual

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-04-21 17:17:18 »

Lookin good Smiley

Couple of things that I noticed real quick.

Kevs name is still spelled wrong on the credits page, I think I told someone about that a long time ago. It's currently "Keven Glass", should be "Kevin Glass".

The Source Page doesnt include the header, or any header at all. Maybe at the min have a similar looking header with a back button or something.

On the FAQ, Question 1, "is this cool" the answer is "A: yes1" which is totally not cool! I assumed it should be "yes!"

Maybe there should be a a seperate section for "articles" or subsections under docs. When I think of docs I think of reference docs. API's, and such. Maybe this is just me. But perhaps a breakdown of the docs by category would help clean it up. Especially if we get more documentation (hopefully !!!!)

Looking good otherwise Smiley

Sacramento Volleyball
"Whitty phrase goes here."
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-04-22 00:07:10 »

thanks for the comments.

hehehe sorry about the FAQ thing - there's actually a bug with tiki (or just my install) - I can't remove or edit questions, and that was my testing one Smiley

I agree with you on the articles point - in fact that feature is currently hidden.  Articles are different from the wiki - they don't have the wiki features such as anyone can edit them, changes can be viewed etc - they are owned by the submitter (site "Editors" have to approve submittions and can edit them).

I've corrected Kev's name too, thanks (just a quick edit of the wiki page, no ftp/scp needed Grin).

I'll get around to adding a header to the source page too.

The site is only young - there's more work to be done like expanding the FAQ - wikianising the Demo and Installation tute pages etc.   Please sign up for an account and recommend FAQ questions and answers.  If you want to create a new Wiki page - just go to the URL http://xith.org/tiki-index.php?page=YourNewPage where YourNewPage is the name of your page - then click "create page".

Does anyone want to lend a hand with the converting of the old site?  I did most of it yesterday but one or two pages remain.  First on the agenda is this page: http://xith.org/tiki-index.php?page=Installing

Cheers,

Will.

Offline blahblahblahh

JGO Coder

Medals: 1

http://t-machine.org

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-04-22 00:58:14 »

Announcing the all new, much sleeker and twice as shiny as before: xith.org

As soon as the links have settled down, could you mail me the new ones? Or are you planning to update / fix all the old URL's so that they point to their new location (which would be a very good idea since then Google links and bookmarks would continue to work).

I didnt' look too carefully (on a text-only browser right now!) but it's seems that URL's do not point to the new site but to the old?

malloc will be first against the wall when the revolution comes...
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-04-22 01:52:01 »

thanks for reminding me, it was quite late when I released the new look - I do intend to redirect the old links to the new ones.  I'll do that very soon.

Will.

Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-04-22 01:58:42 »

the old links should work again now - please tell me if you see any errors.

Cheers,

Will.

Offline Jens

Java for games!

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-04-24 08:31:05 »

Does anyone want to lend a hand with the converting of the old site?  I did most of it yesterday but one or two pages remain.  First on the agenda is this page: http://xith.org/tiki-index.php?page=Installing

I did the conversion (quite some work), but the links are not working yet.

Xith3D Getting Started Guide (PDF,HTML,Source)
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-04-24 14:27:46 »

Jens,

great stuff, thank you very much!

Will.

Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-04-25 00:27:34 »

I've fixed up the FAQ system.

If anyone has some questions to contribute - please login and add them as a suggested FAQ.  In time, myself or the other editors will get around to reviewing it and then moving it to the main FAQ page.

Anything is ok as a question - if you see someone ask something, feel free to add the answers.

And feel free to start writing wiki pages to - don't worry too much, changes can always be undone.

Will.

Offline megatron

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-04-28 11:41:01 »

The new site looks excellent   Cheesy

I was trying to download David's user interface examples, but I keep getting a Forbidden error : "You don't have permission to access /download/extras/xith3d-gui-demo.zip on this server."

Any chance of sorting this out as I would really like to have a look at the demos..

Keep up the great work!
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Fire at will

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-04-28 12:52:46 »

try again now.

That demo is not new by the way - I just finally uploaded it to xith.org Smiley  

However, it is a very good demo, and worth a look.

Cheers,

Will.

Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

CogWheelz (9 views)
2014-07-30 21:08:39

Riven (20 views)
2014-07-29 18:09:19

Riven (14 views)
2014-07-29 18:08:52

Dwinin (12 views)
2014-07-29 10:59:34

E.R. Fleming (32 views)
2014-07-29 03:07:13

E.R. Fleming (12 views)
2014-07-29 03:06:25

pw (42 views)
2014-07-24 01:59:36

Riven (42 views)
2014-07-23 21:16:32

Riven (29 views)
2014-07-23 21:07:15

Riven (30 views)
2014-07-23 20:56:16
HotSpot Options
by dleskov
2014-07-08 03:59:08

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:58:24

Java and Game Development Tutorials
by SwordsMiner
2014-06-14 00:47:22

How do I start Java Game Development?
by ra4king
2014-05-17 11:13:37

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-15 09:59:54

HotSpot Options
by Roquen
2014-05-06 15:03:10

Escape Analysis
by Roquen
2014-04-29 22:16:43

Experimental Toys
by Roquen
2014-04-28 13:24:22
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org