Games in Android Showcase (89)
games submitted by our members
Games in WIP (468)
games currently in development
News: Read the Java Gaming Resources, or peek at the official Java tutorials

Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  
  (yet another) YABB annoyance  (Read 5626 times)
Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Posted 2004-04-16 01:55:05 »

I just realised that when you search for a given string in the forum search, the tags appear around the searched string when inside a code block. I.e., they do not get actually bold. Really funny Smiley

It's hard to imagine how this forum is actually implemented. This is not really a complaint, I can live with that. But it adds to the innumerous strange features of our forum (I sometimes receive a notification of a reply for example).  Just to keep a note when someone decides to take some dust out of the forum's code.

Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-04-16 01:57:16 »

a question:  where is the source for this forum? Is it available? Is it dangerous to see it? Is it some really funky old-school cgi-bin code?

If the code was open source, then no one could never complain about anything. They could just fix it Wink

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-04-16 04:46:14 »

While I can't answer your questions I can agree with what you say. :-)  The forum software has many weak points unfortunately.

PS: The "view the 10 most recent posts of this forum" pushes me hard, next to the not working email notification.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline SpuTTer

Medals: 1

Lazy Middle Class Intellectual

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-04-16 05:12:35 »

I was suprised when I saw this forum wasnt using Jive, but whatever. Despite the few annoyances, it gets the job done fairly well...

Remember, we almost lost this forum all together! This is much better than using the java.net 'discussion' or whatever that was.

Sacramento Volleyball
"Whitty phrase goes here."
Offline D.t.O

Psych'd about Java Games

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-04-16 05:23:12 »

[...]the not working email notification.

I think I've brought this up in the other thread, but my email notification has always been working (or so I have been tricked to believe Wink)

Enjoy.
Regards,
     - D.t.O
Offline Bombadil

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-04-16 06:43:06 »

I think I've brought this up in the other thread, but my email notification has always been working (or so I have been tricked to believe ;))

For some it looks to work, for some it works sometimes, for some it doesn't work practically.
Sounds like fuzzy logic, not digital logic. ;-)
Offline Bombadil

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-04-16 06:49:27 »

I was suprised when I saw this forum wasnt using Jive, but whatever. Despite the few annoyances, it gets the job done fairly well...

Well, in case it's possible to improve some points, I vote to it should be done. :-)  I don't want to sound ungratefully, just epxress my observation(s).

Remember, we almost lost this forum all together! This is much better than using the java.net 'discussion' or whatever that was.

That's been before I started here. :-)  Still, you're right: better the forum in its current state than none. :-)
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 285
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-04-16 08:38:24 »

I think I've figured out the email notification "bug"! It's actually a feature!

When you reply to a post initially and check that box you're expecting to "watch" that thread. But if you make a subsequent post and forget to recheck the box it turns off the watch feature!

Easily fixed, methinks.

Cas :)

Offline Bombadil

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-04-16 09:14:13 »

I think I've figured out the email notification "bug"! It's actually a feature!

When you reply to a post initially and check that box you're expecting to "watch" that thread. But if you make a subsequent post and forget to recheck the box it turns off the watch feature!

Actually I always check this box and still the notifactions rarely reach my mailbox. I tested it with various email accounts and with none this forum's notification did work in a solid way.
Maybe the forum hates me because I'm using Opera...
:-)
Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-04-16 09:15:42 »

Yeah, YaBB is okay.  Much, much better than discus (sic) which we were using back in the day.  As to where you can get it, try the link at the bottom of the page:

|
|
|
|
V

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline oNyx

JGO Coder

pixels! :x

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-04-16 10:31:36 »

IMO this board is pretty ok-ish. It works (having no regular downtimes is a big plus), the layout is rather clean and (!) we can talk here Smiley

[cøde] thingies doesn't look that nice, but it's ok for snippets and that's the only thing wich is important.

This thing is about 100 times better than the "boards" at forum.sun.com and I'm really glad, that we have this platform.

弾幕 ☆ @mahonnaiseblog
Offline princec

JGO Kernel

Medals: 285
Projects: 3
Exp: 16 years

Eh? Who? What? ... Me?

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-04-16 13:30:33 »

For all the niggles it's by far and away up there in the top 1% of bb's on the net.

Cas Smiley

Offline D.t.O

Psych'd about Java Games

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-04-18 16:05:00 »

Actually I always check this box and still the notifactions rarely reach my mailbox. I tested it with various email accounts and with none this forum's notification did work in a solid way.
Maybe the forum hates me because I'm using Opera... :-)

I always use the "Notify of Replies" icon/link at the top/bottom of the page...maybe that works better? :-/

Enjoy.
Regards,
     - D.t.O
Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-04-18 16:40:01 »

Maybe the forum hates me because I'm using Opera...
:-)

I recently discovered that if you paste some text into the message text area, if the lines are longer than the width of the box, it will not get wrapped, and they will simply not show on the screen. Do you get those as well? I couldn't say if it's an Opera issue or an YaBB one, or both Wink

In relation to all the comments, I did realise that YaBB is not that bad. It's pretty good, and fast and realiable. It's also a piece of software, which is open to a few routine  bugs Tongue

I do not really know about the "other" forum. I think  cfmdobbie mentioned about [em]discus[/em], is there a link pointing to some history about that? I'm quite new to the javagaming community, and I would be curious to learn a bit about its past... Smiley

Offline cfmdobbie

Who, me?

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-04-18 17:27:33 »

I do not really know about the "other" forum. I think  cfmdobbie mentioned about [em]discus[/em], is there a link pointing to some history about that? I'm quite new to the javagaming community, and I would be curious to learn a bit about its past... Smiley

The old board is still accessible here:

http://www.java-gaming.org/discus/

Please be aware that that board was shut down in late 2002.  Technology has changed, Java has certainly changed, and I would hope that most of the people here have changed as well.  Don't treat any listed opinions as an accurate representation of a person today, and don't even look at any benchmarks! Grin

Hellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.
Offline Bombadil

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-04-18 17:40:32 »

I always use the "Notify of Replies" icon/link at the top/bottom of the page...maybe that works better? :-/

I check the check boxes below the text named "Notify of replies" and "Disable smilies" with no luck.
Regularly I use the "Notify of replies" link at the top of a thread but with no luck either.
Well, sometimes I get notifications, but usually not. Really weird and I'm sure it's a problem with the IP hosting this board (ChrisM mentioned something like that some time ago).
This also means it has nothing to do with Opera.
Offline pedro

Java games rock!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-04-18 19:59:38 »

The old board is still accessible here:

http://www.java-gaming.org/discus/

Please be aware that that board was shut down in late 2002.  Technology has changed, Java has certainly changed, and I would hope that most of the people here have changed as well.  Don't treat any listed opinions as an accurate representation of a person today, and don't even look at any benchmarks! Grin

The current forum definitely looks much better Smiley
Thanks for the link, and don't worry. I always expect things to evolve/change as time passes.

Offline D.t.O

Psych'd about Java Games

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-04-19 03:00:39 »

The current forum definitely looks much better Smiley

I agree, but the old forum is much faster Tongue. [No offense Wink.]
The Tree View is also very exciting Cool.
Since it would be a nightmare to offer two interfaces for the same forum, I won't even go there...though I'd love to switch between two different looking forums containing the same messages.

Enjoy.
Regards,
     - D.t.O
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-04-19 15:42:13 »

There is a beta release of the new YaBB software out, but I CRINGE at the idea of testing it out here.  However, as soon as it is out of beta we will switch over.  The big changes:

- MUCH faster
- Better search
- Top mods included and easier to add

As soon as I hear about a release, I'll let everyone know!

-ChrisM

Offline D.t.O

Psych'd about Java Games

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-04-19 22:46:17 »

- MUCH faster

Cool
- Better search

Grin
- Top mods included and easier to add

:-/ What does that mean Huh

Enjoy.
Regards,
     - D.t.O
Offline ChrisM

JGO Coder

Projects: 1

END OF LINE.

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-04-20 02:30:01 »

Cool
Grin
:-/ What does that mean Huh

Oh YaBB has a ton of mods that you can add (community built) abd the next version comes with those best mods added to the core product.

-ChrisM

Offline D.t.O

Psych'd about Java Games

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-04-20 04:55:56 »

Oh YaBB has a ton of mods that you can add (community built) abd the next version comes with those best mods added to the core product.

Great! Already looking forward to the new forum (though I have only been using the current one for about three weeks)!

More annoyances/bugs (or should I say features?) to explore Wink

Enjoy.
Regards,
     - D.t.O
Offline M4g3

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-05-13 13:10:25 »

to answer a question earlier in the topic, get the source here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/yabb/YaBB_1Gold_SP1.3.1_cgi.zip?download
Pages: [1]
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

theagentd (6 views)
2014-04-24 23:00:44

xsi3rr4x (83 views)
2014-04-15 18:08:23

BurntPizza (75 views)
2014-04-15 03:46:01

UprightPath (86 views)
2014-04-14 17:39:50

UprightPath (69 views)
2014-04-14 17:35:47

Porlus (86 views)
2014-04-14 15:48:38

tom_mai78101 (109 views)
2014-04-10 04:04:31

BurntPizza (169 views)
2014-04-08 23:06:04

tom_mai78101 (265 views)
2014-04-05 13:34:39

trollwarrior1 (216 views)
2014-04-04 12:06:45
List of Learning Resources
by SHC
2014-04-18 03:17:39

List of Learning Resources
by Longarmx
2014-04-08 03:14:44

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-05 13:51:37

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:46

Good Examples
by Grunnt
2014-04-03 15:48:37

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:51

Good Examples
by matheus23
2014-04-01 18:40:34

Anonymous/Local/Inner class gotchas
by Roquen
2014-03-11 15:22:30
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org