Home     Help   Search   Login   Register   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  ignore  |  Print  
  JOGL 1.1.1 released  (Read 38034 times)
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Posted 2004-04-12 17:55:54 »

The version number for JOGL in the source base has been bumped to 1.1 to indicate that some new and in some cases incompatible APIs are being introduced. Specifically, multihead support for X11 platforms has been committed to the source tree; an incompatible change was needed to the GLCapabilitiesChooser to support this as well as forthcoming full-scene antialiasing support. Thanks to all that contributed patches in this arena; the implementation differs from the suggested ones, so please try it and report any problems found. The API change is in the GLDrawableFactory with a new factory method taking the GraphicsDevice on which to instantiate the GLCanvas. The nightly builds should contain this change soon.

Also, in the near future, glSelectBuffer will be changed to take a direct java.nio.IntBuffer instead of an int[], as the latter API can not be implemented both correctly and efficiently.

We would like to address any outstanding API issues before JSR 231 begins work in full force. Please post to the JSR 231 thread on this board with suggestions, and please post any comments or questions about the abovementioned API changes here.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #1 - Posted 2004-04-22 04:40:04 »

JOGL 1.1 b01 has been released on April 21, 2004. Please see the following thread for details:
http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=jogl;action=display;num=1059055593

Please post comments, questions or problems with this new build on this thread. Also, please post if you have demos to share that showcase OpenGL 1.5 features.
Offline Bombadil

Senior Duke

« Reply #2 - Posted 2004-04-22 06:13:30 »

Thanks for your good work on JOGL. As a Xith3d user I appreciate this very much. In the Xith3d forum on this board there's currently a discussion on the "ghost window" (you call it the dummy window I think) with the new Jogl release. It's named Changes to match latest JOGL build

Unfortunately this "ghost window" not only causes confusion to us users, but more: as I report in the mentioned thread, when in Windows the dummy window is being maximized - and you never know what your users do - there's no mouse pointer anymore (on my Ati card PC): even hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't bring the desktop back: you're lost in ghost space.
Another (Xith) user made a screenshot of this with his Nvidia card:

Will this ghost window dissapear in the near future?
I think it should, because two windows with one being a ghost one, confuses the users and maximizing it can cause serious trouble (at least for my PC with ATI card).
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline nnevatie

Junior Duke

It is slightly better to be simple than correct.

« Reply #3 - Posted 2004-04-22 09:27:52 »

Nice release. Still, I have to agree about the ghost window. I'm hiding Java from the user in my environment by using a native (Win32/Linux) application launcher and by providing a bundled JRE. Now, the ghost window ruins my you-dont-have-to-know-this-is-a-Java-app plans with its "cup of hot coffee" Sad I sincerely hope this is a temporary solution only. Also, it seems that bugs concerning JInternalFrames still exist - I've hacked around that in my application, though (by providing custom, non-selectable JInternalFrame instances as GLCanvas placeholders).

Awards:
- Nobel Prize in Physics for inventing his Doomsday Machine
- Nobel Peace Prize for not using it

http://www.g0dmode.com -- a collection of things not real
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #4 - Posted 2004-04-22 12:36:05 »

Will this ghost window dissapear in the near future?

I guess it's going to have to. On Windows it's necessary to create an initial OpenGL context not associated with any application window in order to get access to routines like wglChoosePixelFormatARB which is needed for FSAA support. I guess we'll have to add some platform-specific Java code to do this so that the window doesn't show up as one that the user can maximize or otherwise interact with. Please file an issue on the JOGL web page and I'll fix it ASAP.
Offline Bombadil

Senior Duke

« Reply #5 - Posted 2004-04-22 13:45:49 »

Thanks Ken for the answer; I've just filed an issue (#75).
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #6 - Posted 2004-04-22 22:08:06 »

JOGL 1.1 beta 02 has been released on April 22, 2004; please see the downloads section of the JOGL web page. This build fixes Issue 75 with the dummy window being created on Windows for full-scene antialiasing support. Please post if problems persist with this new mechanism. Ultimately we hope to be able to use it or a similar mechanism to make pbuffer instantiation simpler.
Offline Bombadil

Senior Duke

« Reply #7 - Posted 2004-04-23 04:50:16 »

JOGL 1.1 beta 02 has been released on April 22, 2004; please see the downloads section of the JOGL web page. This build fixes Issue 75 with the dummy window being created on Windows for full-scene antialiasing support. Please post if problems persist with this new mechanism.

{Edit} Problems solved. Newest (Windows) version on the Jogl site works fine for me.
Offline nnevatie

Junior Duke

It is slightly better to be simple than correct.

« Reply #8 - Posted 2004-04-23 05:12:42 »

Unfortunately so far I can't see any difference with Xith and the newest Jogl: the ghost window is still there and maxiziming it still brings the full screen with VRAM garbage bytes.
However this time my mouse pointer stayed and I still could swap tasks, so quitting the Xith app (including the ghost window) worked.

The config here is Win2000, ATI Radeon, Catalyst 4.30 driver, Java 1.4.2_04-b05.

Would Xith have to use Jogl in a different way to make the Jogl changement work?

That's really odd, it works great for me. The ghost window doesn't appear the first time an OGL context is used. I'm using WinXP, J2SE-1.4.2_04, Radeon 9700, Omega drivers.

Awards:
- Nobel Prize in Physics for inventing his Doomsday Machine
- Nobel Peace Prize for not using it

http://www.g0dmode.com -- a collection of things not real
Offline Bombadil

Senior Duke

« Reply #9 - Posted 2004-04-23 05:34:26 »

That's really odd, it works great for me. The ghost window doesn't appear the first time an OGL context is used. I'm using WinXP, J2SE-1.4.2_04, Radeon 9700, Omega drivers.

OK, since our Xith developer also reports it's OK now (read: no ghost window anymore) there's maybe some local problem with my configuration/driver/bla. I'll check it out.
Games published by our own members! Check 'em out!
Legends of Yore - The Casual Retro Roguelike
Offline Java Cool Dude

Senior Duke

Java forever

« Reply #10 - Posted 2004-04-23 10:59:41 »

How about OpenGL 1.5; is it supported yet?
Offline Yuri Vl. Gushchin

Senior Duke

Speak Java!

« Reply #11 - Posted 2004-04-23 11:20:33 »

JCD,

Full OpenGL 1.5 support has been added; JOGL is again up-to-date with respect to the header files in the OpenGL extension registry at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ . In particular, the ARB_shading_language_100 and ARB_shader_objects extensions are now accessible from JOGL. 

So, yes, this is supported! (OK, I did not check this myself yet...)

Yuri

Yuri Vl. Gushchin
JProof Group
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #12 - Posted 2004-04-23 15:47:13 »

Unfortunately so far I can't see any difference with Xith and the newest Jogl: the ghost window is still there and maxiziming it still brings the full screen with VRAM garbage bytes.
However this time my mouse pointer stayed and I still could swap tasks, so quitting the Xith app (including the ghost window) worked.

Are you 100% sure you don't have a stale version of jogl.jar on your CLASSPATH somewhere? Print out the version string from net.java.games.jogl.Version and ensure it's "1.1.0-b02".
Offline jeickmann

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #13 - Posted 2004-04-23 15:52:45 »

Hi,

the windows-natives.jar for the beta 2 seems to be missing fromt the download page. It's there for the beta 1.

Jan Eickmann
Offline Caoimhin

Junior Duke

« Reply #14 - Posted 2004-04-23 17:53:35 »

JOGL 1.1 beta 02 has been released on April 22, 2004; please see the downloads section of the JOGL web page.

Huh  I'm confused.  Is this the right URL? https://games-binaries.dev.java.net/build/index.html

I only see 1.0beta builds.  Am I in the wrong place or is the filename just not updated?
Offline Bombadil

Senior Duke

« Reply #15 - Posted 2004-04-23 18:14:03 »

Are you 100% sure you don't have a stale version of jogl.jar on your CLASSPATH somewhere? Print out the version string from net.java.games.jogl.Version and ensure it's "1.1.0-b02".

Well, I don't know how it came but it's been 1.1.0-b01 I'm afraid. I'm 100% sure I downloaded the version from the Jogl site and used this one (no classpath stale versions)...
Anyway, now I downloaded it again and it's version "1.1.0-b03" which works very fine - so no ghost window anymore.

Sorry for having caused confusion. Maby something has been wrong with the download site sill, since some other posters seems to have had problems. However now it should work.

Many thanks.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #16 - Posted 2004-04-23 21:51:57 »

Hi,

the windows-natives.jar for the beta 2 seems to be missing fromt the download page. It's there for the beta 1.

Jan Eickmann

Thanks for pointing this out; it's there now.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #17 - Posted 2004-04-23 21:53:06 »

I only see 1.0beta builds.  Am I in the wrong place or is the filename just not updated?

Wrong place. Go to the JOGL web page, click "Documents & files" on the left side, and use the arrows and folder names to navigate down into "Release builds 2004". Choose the latest one.
Offline Caoimhin

Junior Duke

« Reply #18 - Posted 2004-04-23 22:19:25 »

Wrong place. Go to the JOGL web page, click "Documents & files" on the left side, and use the arrows and folder names to navigate down into "Release builds 2004". Choose the latest one.

I navigated to Projects  >  games  >  games-core  >  jogl > Documents & files

And I see:

Release Builds 2004
Official JOGL release builds

There are no files in this folder.

Huh
Offline milvich

Senior Newbie

Java games rock!

« Reply #19 - Posted 2004-04-23 23:37:47 »

I navigated to Projects  >  games  >  games-core  >  jogl > Documents & files  

And I see:

Release Builds 2004  
Official JOGL release builds

There are no files in this folder.

The navigation design on the download pages is... well pretty worthless. You have to click on the triangle next to the folders to expand them in the column on the left. Clicking on a folder will only show the files and not any sub folders in the main panel.

So click on the triangle next to the Release Builds 2004 folder, then click on the name of the folder you want.
Offline William Denniss

JGO Coder

Projects: 2

Fire at will

« Reply #20 - Posted 2004-04-25 00:36:52 »

I've found this very annoying too and I submitted a suggestion on it:

http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=suggestions;action=display;num=1082860549;start=0

The new design is just not logical.

Will.

Offline Caoimhin

Junior Duke

« Reply #21 - Posted 2004-04-26 15:45:32 »

The navigation design on the download pages is... well pretty worthless. You have to click on the triangle next to the folders to expand them in the column on the left. Clicking on a folder will only show the files and not any sub folders in the main panel.

So click on the triangle next to the Release Builds 2004 folder, then click on the name of the folder you want.

Ahah!  I see what's wrong.  My browser is word-wrapping so the triangle wasn't on the same line as the title, making it look as if the title was a heading for the line below and "nightly builds" a subtopic.

Thanks for the help!
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #22 - Posted 2004-04-29 22:03:24 »

JOGL 1.1 b03 has been released on April 29, 2004. Please see the following thread for details:
http://www.java-gaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=jogl;action=display;num=1059055593

Please post comments, questions or problems with this new build on this thread.
Offline Mithrandir

Senior Duke

Cut from being on the bleeding edge too long

« Reply #23 - Posted 2004-04-30 01:25:52 »

Ken, any news on the timing of getting the mappings to the functions that use void** pointers? I could really use glMultiDrawArrays for a couple of things we do right now.

The site for 3D Graphics information http://www.j3d.org/
Aviatrix3D JOGL Scenegraph http://aviatrix3d.j3d.org/
Programming is essentially a markup language surrounding mathematical formulae and thus, should not be patentable.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #24 - Posted 2004-04-30 02:46:55 »

Ken, any news on the timing of getting the mappings to the functions that use void** pointers? I could really use glMultiDrawArrays for a couple of things we do right now.

It should be somewhat easier now that there is support for const char** (see glShaderSourceARB). I'll try to get it done soon, but it may be at least a week due to some impending deadlines.

If you or someone else wants to take a shot at it, that would be great. The routines in GlueGen you will need to deal with in particular are:

• JavaEmitter.typeToJavaType
  • CMethodBindingEmitter (search the source for "needsDataCopy")
  • CGLPAWrapperEmitter.emitBodyCallCFunction (look for call to javaArgTypeNeedsDataCopy() -- actually, this may not need modification)

Basically the void** needs to be represented as a Buffer[] (array of direct buffers). A void** needs to be malloc'ed and free'd in the implementation of the native method, and the pointers in the direct buffer array need to be stuffed into the temporary void**, just like the String[] -> char** case.
Offline Mithrandir

Senior Duke

Cut from being on the bleeding edge too long

« Reply #25 - Posted 2004-05-03 18:14:32 »

Well, I'm half way there, but keep crashing out on the native compilation step  Huh   Looking into it though.....

The site for 3D Graphics information http://www.j3d.org/
Aviatrix3D JOGL Scenegraph http://aviatrix3d.j3d.org/
Programming is essentially a markup language surrounding mathematical formulae and thus, should not be patentable.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #26 - Posted 2004-07-16 18:36:21 »

JOGL 1.1 b04 has been released on July 16, 2004. Please see the following thread for details:

Please post comments, questions or problems with this new build on this thread.
Offline Ken Russell

JGO Coder

Java games rock!

« Reply #27 - Posted 2004-08-05 21:20:34 »

JOGL 1.1 b05 has been released on August 4, 2004. Please see the following thread for details:

JOGL release information

Please post comments about the new release here.
Offline Bombadil

Senior Duke

« Reply #28 - Posted 2004-08-06 05:27:28 »

Thanks for the new v1.1 beta-05 release.
Looks good so far. A few small tests with Jogl and Xith (with Jogl) run OK on an ATI 9600pro. I'll try to test with other ATI carded PCs in the near future.

What I still don't unterstand is why and when do we need to specify that ATI_WORKAROUND switch?
Someone (you?) wrote some time ago that there's a difference in not using that parameter at all and using it with true and false. So this means there are three different start modes? What do they do?

1) Using no switch prints:
CANVAS GLU IS: net.java.games.jogl.impl.GLUImpl
Using ATI workaround of dispatching display() on event thread
INIT GL IS: net.java.games.jogl.impl.windows.WindowsGLImpl
(Italics by me)

2) Using -DATI_WORKAROUND=true:

3) Using -DATI_WORKAROUND=false:

All three methods work fine for my tests (both Jogl and Xith with Jogl). So as long as everything works fine I won't use that workaround switch, naturally. :)
Offline d3

Senior Newbie

o(_._)o

« Reply #29 - Posted 2004-08-06 07:19:43 »

why do i get this when using release 1.1b05?

-------------------------------------------------------
JOGL VERSION: 1.1.0-b04
INIT GL IS: net.java.games.jogl.impl.macosx.MacOSXGLImpl
CANVAS GL IS: net.java.games.jogl.impl.macosx.MacOSXGLImpl
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_RENDERER: ATI Radeon 9000 OpenGL Engine
GL_VERSION: 1.3 ATI-1.3.18
-------------------------------------------------------

is this an error in getVersion() or is it really just b04 on mac os x?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  ignore  |  Print  

You cannot reply to this message, because it is very, very old.

Add your game by posting it in the WIP section,
or publish it in Showcase.

The first screenshot will be displayed as a thumbnail.

TehJavaDev (32 views)
2014-10-27 03:28:38

TehJavaDev (26 views)
2014-10-27 03:27:51

DarkCart (41 views)
2014-10-26 19:37:11

Luminem (22 views)
2014-10-26 10:17:50

Luminem (27 views)
2014-10-26 10:14:04

theagentd (33 views)
2014-10-25 15:46:29

Longarmx (61 views)
2014-10-17 03:59:02

Norakomi (58 views)
2014-10-16 15:22:06

Norakomi (47 views)
2014-10-16 15:20:20

lcass (43 views)
2014-10-15 16:18:58
Understanding relations between setOrigin, setScale and setPosition in libGdx
by mbabuskov
2014-10-09 22:35:00

Definite guide to supporting multiple device resolutions on Android (2014)
by mbabuskov
2014-10-02 22:36:02

List of Learning Resources
by Longor1996
2014-08-16 10:40:00

by SilverTiger
2014-08-05 19:33:27

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:20:17

Resources for WIP games
by CogWheelz
2014-08-01 16:19:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:29:50

by SilverTiger
2014-07-31 16:26:06
java-gaming.org is not responsible for the content posted by its members, including references to external websites, and other references that may or may not have a relation with our primarily gaming and game production oriented community. inquiries and complaints can be sent via email to the info‑account of the company managing the website of java‑gaming.org